View Full Version : Divx

Fzara
12-16-2002, 05:51 AM
I know this might be repetitive, but I searched the forums and didnt find posts.
1. How do I convert divx movies from my computer, to Divx player on my PPC?

2. Also, has anyone found a 512mb CF card cheap?

spursdude
12-16-2002, 06:25 AM
2. Also, has anyone found a 512mb CF card cheap?

check it out at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MIS8/ref=cm_wl_ovu-pg.1-pos.1/103-8240915-7079005?v=glance&coliid=I3CSWVZK64HJ81). The card has been around that price for a while, dipping down to as low as $130 sometimes.

As for DivX, i'm not too sure. If I were you, I would just convert the video files into .wmv files.

Fzara
12-16-2002, 06:29 AM
How do I conver them to .wmv files?
Like, what I dont understand is what program to use to even convert files like these :?

I went to compusa today for screen protectors for my new 400mhz Axim X5, and I got the Ipaq ones which suck. I then asked the guy how much a 512cf card is and he told me it was 300 bucks! Just wanted to share that :)

spursdude
12-16-2002, 06:32 AM
this is a post I made in the Dell forum a few days ago:

My method will work on any Windows XP machine, without having to download more software:

-Open up Windows Movie Maker (it came preinstalled with Windows XP).
-Import the video file you want to use (mpeg, avi, whatever) Make sure that you don't check "Create Clips for Video Files" unless you want to actually edit the video along with converting (clip making will take significantly longer to import)
-Drag the video clip to the filmstrip at the bottom of the window. You can now edit the video if you want, or just hit "Save Movie."
-Change your playback quality to Other, and set your profile to "Video for Color PDA devices," and choose whichever one suits you best.
-Hit OK, then Save, then wait for quite a whiles. (as in a few hours for a whole movie, perhaps)
-When the conversion is done, you have a nice little WMV file waiting for you.

When I use full-screen for color PDA, a 45 minute video ends up at around 60-70MB.

I haven't ever really fully used Windows Media Encoder - my experimentation with it left me with a bad impression - it wouldn't accept a lot of video clips, and it was quite buggy.

My way works consistently, although I don't know how it compares speed-wise to other methods.

Fzara
12-16-2002, 06:39 AM
THanks alot, however, I have one little question:

"Import the video file you want to use (mpeg, avi, whatever) Make sure that you don't check "Create Clips for Video Files" unless you want to actually edit the video along with converting (clip making will take significantly longer to import) "

Where is the option "Create clips for Video Files"?

I think I know now why the PPC platform beats the hell out of the Palm platform now :). After I get a 512CF Card, All my mp3's and divx movies are going on that. I seriously cant wait to see what the PPC platform can really do!

spursdude
12-16-2002, 06:56 AM
Go to file>import, then a window will pop up allowing you to browse and get the video file. towards the bottom of that window will be "create clips for video files."

yunez
12-16-2002, 07:23 AM
I highly suggest you go with Divx instead of WMV. WMV stutters badly on my 400 Axim, but Divx runs great.

Here is a guide for converting into PPC sized Divx:
http://www.pocketmatrix.com/guides/dvd2divx/#converting