View Full Version : Archiving Old Appointments

RonWilson
12-15-2002, 01:00 AM
I'm an old Daytimer user. Over the course of years there has been a number of times that my Daytimers have saved me by showing my schedule. One involved a labor dispute where I could show numerous infractions and yet another was entered into evidence in a civil trial.

This is a long story to ask you if there is a way to save past occurrences from either my PPC or my desktop computer. How long will they be kept. Does anyone know if electronic calendaring is as useful in similar cases that I described above (i.e. are they admissable as evidence?)

Pony99CA
12-15-2002, 03:59 AM
I'm an old Daytimer user. Over the course of years there has been a number of times that my Daytimers have saved me by showing my schedule. One involved a labor dispute where I could show numerous infractions and yet another was entered into evidence in a civil trial.

This is a long story to ask you if there is a way to save past occurrences from either my PPC or my desktop computer.

Sure, no problem. Do the following:

1. Open the desktop version of Outlook.

2. Click the File menu.

3. Select the Archive... action.

4. Set the archiving options to reflect your preferences.

5. Ensure the Archive file entry field has a reasonable name, like November2002.pst.

6. Click the OK button.

Be careful -- the archived items will be deleted from the main outlook.pst file. This is OK, because it will save space in future archives, but if you want to keep, for example, six months of data in your desktop Outlook, you should archive anything older than six months, and do the archiving every six months. Once the items are deleted, they'll also be removed from your Pocket PC when you next synchronize, so they'll be completely gone.

How long will they be kept. Does anyone know if electronic calendaring is as useful in similar cases that I described above (i.e. are they admissable as evidence?)

Once archived, those items should be kept in the archive files until you delete them (or your hard drive crashes :-)).

As for admissability, I'm no lawyer, but I'd think they'd be better than nothing. Yes, they can be altered, but, if you kept your Daytimer in pencil, so could that.

Steve