View Full Version : Can you sync Outlook via a cell phone?

SteveNYC
12-14-2002, 08:28 PM
Ok, so I ordered by Dell Axim a few weeks ago and expect it in the next couple of weeks. :D So here's my question; can I sync Oulook on my Axim via a cell phone to an exchange server and/or to my home system? I would like to sync all of Outlook and not simply download e-mail which I know can be done with relative ease.

For the sake of simplicity, I want to ignore the cell phone side of the issue for now and just focus on the concept side of things.

I am coming from the Palm side of things, so PPC is relatively new to me. (I can't believe I am joining the Dark Side) :oops:

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

ppcsurfr
12-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Yes you can and easily too.

I've been doing it via cell phone, and CF modem. All you have to do is set up your PC as a Dial-up server.

ppcsurfr

SteveNYC
12-15-2002, 04:39 PM
ppcsurfr,

Ok. Good. That should resolve the issue of home use. This means that you have your computer answering the phone line.

But what if I wanted to connect through to the Internet to a corporate Exchange server, perhaps through VPN? I've been looking at Microsoft Mobile Information Server for our office and it certainly looks like it would do it, though I am wondering if there are simpler ways of doing it.

ppcsurfr
12-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Yor Office has MMIS on it???

Well then ActiveSync should work well with it... if I'm not mistaken that is the component ActiveSync needs to do full synchronizations with an Office server.

ppcsurfr

SteveNYC
12-16-2002, 12:23 AM
Not yet it doesn't. :wink:

We could have it installed in fairly short order. We have the software from Microsoft, we would just need to purchase the licenses for it (per seat).

But before I get into all that, let me ask you this.... on a simpler level, do you know of any packages similar to Sprint's "PCS Business Connection" that would allow most of the functionality without having to put something behind the firewall?