View Full Version : Hard reset on the h5450?

protocol01
12-14-2002, 07:00 AM
Can someone explain how to do a hard reset on this device?
Thanks

Pony99CA
12-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Can someone explain how to do a hard reset on this device?

Does the 3800 series method work? Hold the leftmost and rightmost buttons down and do a soft reset.

Steve

neccessary
12-15-2002, 03:08 PM
According to HP the H5400 series should hard reset the same way the 3900 series did. By holding down the bottom buttons (left/right) while pushing in on the soft reset.

Here's a problem that I have run into.

When I first got my software apps loaded into the H5455 I made a backup to the iPAQ file store (non-volatile memory). Last night something made the iPAQ crash. It happened after using one of the Belkin USB sync/charging cables. This is getting me to think that this cable might not be appropriate for the H5400 series since the 5400's now have a USB charging option built-in using a standard USB sync cable.

Anyway, the unit wasn't responding to a soft reset and I wasn't sure (at that time) how to do a hard reset so instead I removed the battery which instantly reset the system. Upon turning the unit on, now back to factory condition - along with my contacts/appointments that were there thanks to automatically saving them to the file store memory area.

At this point I did a restore from the backup I had made. Upon completion of the restore I did a soft reset as suggested but upon reboot I got an error message (pop-up) that read "The Fingerprint reader failed to turn on due to insufficient driver memory available. You must perform a normal reset to use the fingerprint reader". This message keeps appearing after each reset and will NOT let you go any further. After trying every option imaginable to do a "hard" reset I ended up removing the battery overnight. When I woke up this morning the unit was back to factory condition, the fingerprint reader working (with my fingerprint info still on file), and ready for me to take the next step. Should I A) Install all software again or B) try the restore again. Well, since I like to know what causes problems I decided to do a restore again - and now I"m back to the same problems. lol

I called HP this morning and they told me that the hard reset is the same as the 3900 series (which I already tried, see first paragraph) so it seems that there may be a problem with performing a restore and the operation of the fingerprint reader - or - this could just be a fluke. Time will tell.

For now I have to leave the battery off again for a while, re-install all my software, try not to use the Belkin Sync/Charger cable until more evidence is in, and hope that my experiences going forward are better.

I will say that the H5450/H5455 is an amazing PDA aside from these problems. The wireless 802.11b works flawlessly, the bluetooth connection worked flawlessly and the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly (aside from this hard reset thing). My only gripe and it's fairly annoying to me is that the headphone jack is now on the bottom, which when docked in the cradle, is not accessible. I realize they had to put it somewhere but why not an audio out jack on the cradle?

Ron

Mona13
12-16-2002, 12:50 AM
I bought a 5455 yesterday and had all kinds of problems. I hope it was a one-time lemon. It had an awful "flicker", but only with automatic on. The soft-reset button only worked occasionally. Kept totally locking up. Battery went to 50% after about 1/2 hour when the backlight was almost as low as it could go and no bluetooth or Wi-FI turned on.

When I removed the battery on that unit, it was not like a hard reset. It was the only way I could do a soft reset. What should I expect from the replacement that is charging? (As far as removing the battery and quickly replacing it.) I thought there was a back-up battery, and it seems like it reflected another battery in settings-systems-power.

My Palm reader could barely turn the pages it was so slow. Probably a minute after I pushed the button before it got to the very next page.

aristoBrat
12-16-2002, 03:25 AM
Remember that you can't do a hard-reset when the iPAQ is in an expansion pack.

Mona13
12-17-2002, 02:47 AM
I exchanged the first 5455 for another one and so far so good. So far the only problem that I have is a slightly slower Palm Reader Pro and the Rhino battery display has a ? instead of a percentage.

I installed the rest of my programs and so far no problems.

I really like the 5455 now. The fingerprint reader is really fun. Much faster and more efficient (after I finally learned to use it.)

dhoward
12-20-2002, 03:19 PM
I ask this elsewhere, but I wanted to hear from you new 5450 owners, too.

I'm wondering if you guys with the new 5450's would please post your HP ROM versions, located at the bottom of the boot screen, for comparison?

Would like to see what versions are out there with these problems, and be able to compare them to other locations elsewhere in the US, both in the purchased models and what is on dealer shelves right now.

Might prove to be interesting and worthwhile to all interested parties.

Thanks.

jt3
12-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Getting back to the original question, the hard reset on the 545x iPAQs is identical to the 38xx/39xx iPAQs. It has been said that you can't hard-reset when attached to an expansion pack. I don't know about that, but I do know that you can't do it while plugged into A/C power (well, into any charging power source, actually... there is a car adapter after all, that runs off D/C power. Thought I'd better be clear about that). You must be on battery.