View Full Version : Can't get on the network!

sparky472
12-14-2002, 03:30 AM
Hi all. Here's the problem. I have a Dell Axim with the Linksys WCF12 Wifi card. I have a Linksys WAP11. Three PCs, all networked.

on the Dell, I am able to access the Internet and my e-mail server. However, I can not get access to the networked computers. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but I've posted on other forums (just found this one) and searched all over and can't find the answer.

I download VxUtil. And looked at the IP settings. they seem to be right on. I did notice another network adapter listed called ppp1 with some settings I don't recognize, however. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. ppp1 does not show up in the Pocket PC list of network adapters.

I can ping the Internet, but not my desktop. From the desktop, however, I can ping the PPC.

What about a workgroup name? My desktops all share a workgroup name and, for example, in explorer, I expand My Network places>Entire network>Microsoft windows network>WORKGROUP name> and then I can see all the desktops on the network. Is there a place somewhere that I need the workgroup name?? I can't find it, if so.

I've given as much information as I can think to give. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Jorgen
12-14-2002, 07:41 AM
You mean access the directories on a desktop? Get netuse from http://www.bizzdev.com/en/downloads/

Or you mean activesync?

Jorgen

sparky472
12-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Yes, I mean access the shared desktop folders from my PPC. I've already tried a couple different software programs like that. Whereas these manage the network connections and access, I think the problem is more fundamental...

Sven Johannsen
12-14-2002, 04:30 PM
I don't exactly know how to help since I am having similar problems after I rebuilt (Hard Reset, reload everything useful) my PPC. Previously I had no problems using the same advice I have given others in the past. So currently I don't have any faith in the suggestions I give myself, much less to others. I can't figure out if I have not loaded something I need, or loaded something new that conflicts, and don't feel like starting over at the moment.

The reason for this post though is to let you know what the ppp1 stuff is. That is the virtual network adapter that is used by ActiveSync. It has and IP and an IP in the same net is assigned to a virtual adapter on your desktop. With PasThrough, it essentially sets up the Desktop half of that for Internet Connection Sharing. So it is actually setting up a little mini-network between your PPC and PC. The IP space that is in is typically outside the private address space most folks set up for their home LAN. That is why firewalls have such an issue with ActiveSync. The network your PPC comes in on is an Internet address as far as your Desktop Firewall is concerned. In most cases you can just add that as a trusted network and be done with it.

Just for grins though, try setting all three boxes in Connection manager to WORK, and edit 'Work Settings' from one of the top two boxes, to indicates "This network connects to the internet" on the proxy tab. Don't check the other proxy box unless you are actually using a proxy. (If it is a home network and you don't know if you are using a proxy, you aren't. If at work, check with your Admin staff. If they don't know, be concerned :))