View Full Version : Axim X3/X7

bdegroodt
12-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Anyone heard anymore dirt on either of these units since the Comdex slip up?

mike6024
12-14-2002, 08:48 AM
I haven't heard about any of this. How did they slip up? Is there a URL?

bdegroodt
12-14-2002, 04:40 PM

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107043,00.asp

About half way down. Last paragraph on the Axim. It was somewhat mistakenly announced by an executive at Comdex (At least that's the common thought since the X5 was just about to be released. Dell seems to be silent on the rumor now. I'm sure they don't want to cannibalize any X5 sales.).

jdavis
12-14-2002, 09:37 PM
In regards to that, how much do you think that the X3 will only feature secure digital, and that the X7 will be significantly more than $299. I'm not going to wait.

bdegroodt
12-14-2002, 09:39 PM
In regards to that, how much do you think that the X3 will only feature secure digital, and that the X7 will be significantly more than $299. I'm not going to wait.

I'm holding off on a 5450 purchase until I see what the X7 has to offer. I'm hoping integrated WiFi/BT/SDIO/CF. :D

mike6024
12-16-2002, 07:34 PM

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107043,00.asp

About half way down. Last paragraph on the Axim. It was somewhat mistakenly announced by an executive at Comdex (At least that's the common thought since the X5 was just about to be released. Dell seems to be silent on the rumor now. I'm sure they don't want to cannibalize any X5 sales.).

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I don't know how likely I would have been to wait for the X7 had I known. Maybe I'll send mine back for a replacement along with a check for a hundred and see if i get an X7 in return. :D

bdegroodt
12-16-2002, 07:40 PM
I got to put my hands on a 5450 this weekend at RCS. It's a pretty sweet little thing. Not much difference physically between that and my 3975, but the replacement battery and integrated WiFi are really nice.

They had it on sale for $699. They are a fairly pricy chain, so my guess is in a couple of weeks there should be some more competitive prices on the 5450. Add to this the X7 and I'm hoping for some good prices by late Q3.

BTW, the sales rep at RCS tells me that the SIM card will be useable with a software upgrade that HP is due to release in 2 months. I highly doubt that's true, but I'd be open to anybody else chiming in on that issue. It would be coold if it were true, but my guess is that getting the 5450 up to GSM/GPRS requires more than just a software upgrade (Hardware already built into the unit? Doubt it.).

BD