View Full Version : Browsing the 'net with a Pocket PC

UCLABruins
12-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the world of Pocket PCs and I am very excited about my purchase of the new Dell Axim X5 (400Mhz) that will be arriving soon (hopefully!). I am planning on getting a wireless CF card (possibly Linksys, though undecided at the moment) to use with my home network. I have two questions. First, how is browsing the web on a pocket pc? I realize that certain websites will be difficult, but is it just a matter of getting used to it or is it more a matter of limiting the web sites that are easily accessible? My second question is regarding the so-called "hot spots" that are cropping up in various places. Are most of these "hot spots" accessible to the general public (assuming you are wi-fi ready)? Also, does anyone here know of any in the Las Vegas area? Thanks ahead of time! :)

Jorgen
12-13-2002, 11:29 PM
You can browse the web if you have an Internet connection with a wireless router or a PC with a proxy server (www.analogx.com has a nice free one) + wireless card / hub (using either ad-hoc or infrastructure respectively) to connect to at home.

The hotspots will provide a wireless gateway. Most of them want for some reason money (nasty tendency) but there are free ones around, either commercial ones starting up or so-called community WLAN's. There is of course a security risk in connecting up to the latter as this could be your friendly neighborhood hacker. And there is a slighter risk of connecting to the former as all transmissions are unencrypted.

Check out some of the big commercial ones: www.t-mobile.com (Starbucks) and www.boingo.com to see if they have free ones; Starbucks may give you a free try - check their website. For US community WLAN's (I sit in the UK), search google for "wlan hotspots", "community network" and the like.

And start reading sites such as http://80211b.weblogger.com/

Jorgen

Janak Parekh
12-14-2002, 03:30 AM
Jorgen has a number of good points. Let me just add that once you get connected to the internet, consider Bitstream Thunderhawk (http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/); it's not that cheap, but it works superbly. I bought it and have not regretted the purchase. It makes most every website decently accessible.

--janak

Brad Adrian
12-14-2002, 03:46 AM
You can also learn more about "open" WiFi networks at www.netstumbler.com.

UCLABruins
12-14-2002, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the info. :)

UCLABruins
12-17-2002, 04:46 AM
I have heard some people complain about the limitations of Pocket IE. Anyone here have problems with Pocket IE? If so, possible solutions? Thanks ahead of time.