View Full Version : "Total Remote" for Pocket PCs Now Shipping in Volume

Jason Dunn
12-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Total Remote is one of the more innovative options for taming the number of remotes you have kicking around the TV room. I have yet to try it, but I keep hearing excellent things about this solution.<br /><br />"Griffin Mobile today announced that Total Remote, the first complete solution for turning Pocket PCs into an all-in-one infrared remote controller is now shipping. Total Remote allows your favorite Pocket PC to function as one master control for all your remote controlled devices. The product is now shipping and available for purchase directly from <a href="http://www.griffinmobile.com">Griffin Mobile.</a>"<!><br /><br />"Total Remoteıs unique Infrared Transmitter Module (ITM) allows you to control infrared devices from nearly 100 feet away. Designed specifically for Pocket PCs, it uses the audio port to send infrared commands to any device that can be controlled via IR. Itıs patent-pending design gives users up to 3 times greater range than standard remotes. The Total Remote software can also support built in Infrared ports (IrDA) at shorter ranges.<br /><br />Total Remote comes with preinstalled profiles for hundreds of devices such as TVs, VCRs, DVD players and more. Users can easily add additional devices by downloading new device profiles or creating their own in learning mode. Total Remote can sample commands from your existing remotes and creates "virtual" remotes that look and function the way you want. The program also provides a set of skins that enable you to change the remote control appearance any time. Additionally new skins can be custom made by a user or downloaded from the internet.<br /><br />"After showing the Total Remote for the first time just 60 days ago we are thrilled to get this product into our customers hands so quickly" said Don Stratton, product manager of Total Remote. "The interest and initial response has been tremendous."<br /><br />Total Remote works with Windows CE 3.0 and above on all ARM Pocket PCıs. In addition, Total Remote is compatible with the new X-Scale Pocket PCıs including HP/Compaq 3900 series, Toshiba E740, Viewsonics PCV35, Acer N-Series, Audiovox PDA1032 and the new Dell Axim. Trial software is available on request.<br /><br />Griffin Mobile is also shipping the new 3-in-1 Pocket PC Charger Kit for Pocket PCs. This all-in-one travel kit offers an auto charger, AC outlet plug and a unique charger that attaches to a USB port.<br /><br />Pricing &amp; Availability<br />Griffin Total Remote package retails for $29.99 USD and is available for purchase directly from Griffin Mobile at <a href="www.griffinmobile.com">www.griffinmobile.com</a> now and key distributors. The Griffin 3-in-1 Pocket PC Charger Kit retails for $34.99.<br /><br />Press Contact<br />Andrew Green, <br />[email protected]<br />VP Marketing<br />Griffin Mobile<br />615-399-7000<br /><br />Total Remote-Hi Resolution Artwork <a href="http://www.griffintechnology.com/pressroom/index.html">http://www.griffintechnology.com/pressroom/index.html</a><br /><br />About Griffin Mobile/Griffin Technology<br />Griffin Mobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Griffin Technology. It offers a selection of unique products that are the perfect complement to your mobile lifestyle. Since 1992, Griffin Technology has been an innovator of exciting hardware and software products for the PC and Mac market. Griffin currently manufactures numerous USB, video, audio, cabling and mobile products. This includes the worldıs best selling USB audio devices, the iMic and the award winning input device, the PowerMate."

dbrahms
12-12-2002, 11:21 PM
sure would be an expensive remote to lose in the couch...would anyone feel comfortable leaving their pocket pc on the coffee table for people to pick up and play with to change channels?

Jason Dunn
12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
sure would be an expensive remote to lose in the couch...would anyone feel comfortable leaving their pocket pc on the coffee table for people to pick up and play with to change channels?

That's the beauty part - you just leave the little doo-hickey beside the couch and plug it in when you want to use your Pocket PC as the remote. 8)

ECOslin
12-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Sure is an improvement over the lack of range of the on-board IR. I tried one of the software based remote programs, using the built-in IR, it only worked out to 6ft or so(along with being in the wrong place on the PDA).

Edward

takotchi
12-12-2002, 11:49 PM
I can't wait until I get an ARM PocketPC so I can buy one of these things... not only can it serve as the remote, but I intend to leave it in the headphone jack... because that way I can make sure the PPC is muted. I have, on more than one occasion, opened a game or something, and the music spews forth from the speaker in a quiet classroom, despite the fact the PPC is muted. :x

I wish, however, somebody would actually review the thing... it sounds interesting, and it'd be a must-have accessory, as long as it works properly. 100ft is more than enough, I think/hope...

KyleC
12-13-2002, 12:49 AM
So....

-Hundreds of devices in the memory
-Works with any Pocket PC
-Controls devices 100 ft away

-$30

I'm getting one. It's final. But not right now, possibly after Christmas...

John Hung
12-13-2002, 02:04 AM
How does this hardware based remote compared to the software based remote such as Nevo that came with iPAQ 39xx. I haven't tried Nevo yet, but any info from others would be nice.

klinux
12-13-2002, 03:06 AM
Doesn't out with all Pocket PCs. Wish I can have one for my old Casio E-125 that I am not using now.

Paul
12-13-2002, 03:07 AM
Wish they sold this at Handango.

jfreiman
12-13-2002, 03:44 AM
The product isn't BAD. but I certainly would not call it professional.

The Ir Transmitter Module seems to work well enough, however, the 'hundreds' of preinstalled device profiles is not nearly complete (missing important device functions, volume up/down for my tuner, only can select between CD and Tuner, but not television or DVD, etc).

The user interface seems OK, however they do not have GUIs for my ReplayTV (eventhough it has a ReplayTV and Tivo profile).

You get what you pay for and in this case it is for a good, maybe even a very good Ir module for a PocketPC, however they need to up the price and pay for some real software engineering to make this more than a toy.

Don't expect the Total Remote to be anything but something to show off to your friends. Until they have a MAJOR software revision or UMC makes software that supports the IrTM people who already have a $20 3rd party remote control should hold off on getting one.

-John

PS. There technical support department apparently only has one person who knows anything about the product and the information I got "from him" was given to me 3rd person and after several hours of waiting for a call back.

deaj
12-13-2002, 05:44 AM
it might not be perfect but it will fit my need, i don't have 36 remote control !!! i think it will be a nice toy but it will replace my 3 tv's, 3 vcrs and audio system. hey it's only thirthy dollars and i don't have to buy an ipaq 3900 (i have a maestro) and it doesn't fill my compact flash card like the other solution. :lol:

T-Will
12-13-2002, 06:56 AM
WOW! 100 ft range!?! That's awesome!

ECOslin
12-13-2002, 08:01 AM
I've got a number of remotes, and all of them(even a Zenith 7 device learning remote) always seem to not work with one device or another. Something too new, something too old.

Panasonic DVD(new)
General Instrument Cablebox(old)

No codes for the Cablebox, all around it, but not for it and learning remotes seem to stutter and mis-speak trying to talk to it.

The Zenith remote has a 'Codesearch' button, neat but doesn't hit the cablebox and confuses my 2 same-brand VCRs(the branded VCR remote recognizes the difference between the two).

And yes I tried a Sima remote, neat but I sold it because I was concerned about gravity and all that glass surface(and or sitting on it).

Edward

hshortt
12-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Hmmm....

Not for me thanks! I've got a 3970 with consumer strength IR and NEVO which is simply a fantastic product.

Cheerio