View Full Version : Please help!!

marlon
12-12-2002, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new pocket PC...Many choices: Dell, Ipaq, Toshiba... I believe that the Dell (the upper version) PDA is the best in terms of quality, features, value, etc. Any thought/advice is appreciated.

Kati Compton
12-12-2002, 05:14 PM
I very much like my Dell. It's not the tiniest one, but it's also a comfortable size to hold. I like that it has a compact flash slot, as this memory is cheaper than SD thus far. It also lets me trade cards with my digital camera, and the mp3 player I'm getting for Christmas. (You can play mp3's on the Dell, I just wanted something less expensive / lighter / more droppable for going to the gym, hiking, etc).

As for problems - I haven't heard any about the Ipaq, but I don't know if too many people have received them yet. The Toshibas tend to have many problems (most seem minor?) coupled with poor customer service. But they've been out longer so you can find out what they are in advance. With the Dell, it also tends to be relatively minor problems, but you have the benefit of next-day-replacement if there is something seriously wrong.

Kaber
12-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I like iPAQs. I have a 3765 and a 3955 and I am very happy with both, especially since I have 3 sleeves they can share between them. I am hoping they stick with this form factor for a while yet. If they do, I expect to get another iPAQ when the processors get up to 1Ghz and they include better graphics support in hardware, a camera, TV out, and wireless.

I think it'd be really cool if there were an easy way to rip my DVDs down to an ipaq that had some optimized video out, so I could watch movies on hotel room TVs, or encoding down some home videos to take when visiting relatives.

I envision the ipaq being like a mobile media mate. Whatever content I want I can store on the ipaq and access it there or "broadcast/stream/display" it to any appropriate device (TV, monitor, radioFM, stereo, presenter, etc.)

Cortex
12-12-2002, 07:42 PM
depends on what you want to use it for and how you want to carry it. those are the two questions to answer first -- then ask yourself how much you want to spend.

1. FITS IN YOUR POCKET & WIRELESS OPTION
Toshiba e740
Toshiba e310/330 with bluetooth

2. FITS IN YOUR POCKET
HP 1900 (REALLY! small and nice screen)
Viewsonic
Toshiba eXXX
Zayo (or something)

3. BIGGER BUT EXPANDABLE
Dell (BEST DEAL!!!)
HP Ipaq
Audiovox