View Full Version : Patience My Young Padawan - EUU3 for the Jornada 560 Is Here

Ed Hansberry
12-12-2002, 02:30 PM
<a href="http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=&prodId=hpjornada563922&lc=en&softitem=Pocket%20PC%202002&sw_lang=en">http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=&prodId=hpjornada563922&lc=en&softitem=Pocket%20PC%202002&sw_lang=en</a><br /><br />HP has formally released EUU3 for the Jornada 560 series. The only footnote in the article is that the firmware update from February needs to be applied. If you have EUU1 or EUU2 installed already, you have the firmware in place. If not, grab the firmware first then install EUU3. You don't need to put EUU1 and EUU2 on first. I have seen problems on the 560 series installing the firmware which can usually be avoided by clearing out the HP FileStore first. Enjoy!

skjelnes
12-12-2002, 03:40 PM
I get this message when I try i install it:

Setup Failed
Teh file"\My Documents\EUU3_ENG.cab" is not a valid Windows SE Setup file.

Anyone?

Ed Hansberry
12-12-2002, 03:48 PM
I get this message when I try i install it:

Setup Feiled
Teh file"\My Documents\EUU3_ENG.cab" is not a valid Windows SE Setup file.

Anyone?

Are you tapping that file within File Explorer on your Pocket PC? If not, stop right now and print out the Readme. You missed quite a bit of info, several bits that will if not heeded will potentially turn your Jornada into a nice paperweight.

If you are, I suggest redownloading it. You may have a corrupt file or it got corrupted in transferring it to the Jornada.

Mark R Penn
12-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Note, one of the bits of info Ed is refering to is a note that it takes longer than 2 minutes to instal (it says 2 on screen), claiming it is more like 5 minutes. ITS NOT, I timed mine at 13 minutes.

Don't whatever you do interupt it while it's installing. It seams like a very long time to wait, and you will begin to think it's frozen, but it has not.

Mark

edgar
12-12-2002, 04:19 PM
For those of us who installed the iPaq version on the Jornada, did we miss anything by not waiting? Is re-install possible or worthwhile?

FredMurphy
12-12-2002, 04:21 PM
If you've been impatient and already installed the iPAQ EUU3 should you install this one or are they the same?

Fred

Canuck
12-12-2002, 04:41 PM
I hate to represent the newbies by falling on this handgrenade (especially in light of that snarky paperweight comment above :roll: ) but,

What is EUU3? (or 2 for that matter?) :oops:

Ainvar
12-12-2002, 04:46 PM
EUU2 and EUU3 are End User Updates, they are just updates released by the OEM/Vendor that fixes known issues and/or updates some of the components to a new version that has been updated or revamped to fix some issue(s) with it.

Or in simplier form it is like a service pack for Windows OS.

If I am wrong on any of this please feel free to correct me.

Now if only Toshiba/Audiovox would release there official and supported EUU3 for the e550G.

Canuck
12-12-2002, 04:52 PM
That helps. What are the issues that this deals with specifically? This is from a user perspective, so I'm referring to changes that would be noticeable...

And a note to Ed, I re-read your post and I guess it wasn't so snarky after all...

uvahoos
12-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Proving that HP/Compaq doesn't have any idea what's going on in their own organization: I happened to email them just yesterday asking when the EUU3 would be released for the Jornadas. Here's their response:

"The EUU3 Update is currently not available for the Jornada 560 series
unit and I do not have any information to offer you at this time. I
suggest that you regularly check the following Web site to download the
latest drivers and software available for your unit".

Honestly, as much as I love my Jornada, I think that HP is a bunch of idiots. :roll:

ledowning
12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks Ed for the post on the EUU3 update for the Jornada 560 series. I installed the update and the Pocket PC seems no worse for wear.

8)

Perry Reed
12-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Note, one of the bits of info Ed is refering to is a note that it takes longer than 2 minutes to instal (it says 2 on screen), claiming it is more like 5 minutes. ITS NOT, I timed mine at 13 minutes.

Don't whatever you do interupt it while it's installing. It seams like a very long time to wait, and you will begin to think it's frozen, but it has not.

Mark

That is good to know! Mine is running right now, passing the 10 minute mark and I was getting worried...

Bob S
12-12-2002, 05:46 PM
The only footnote in the article is that the firmware update from February needs to be applied. If you have EUU1 or EUU2 installed already, you have the firmware in place. If not, grab the firmware first then install EUU3.

I got a rebuilt one after a return.

How do I know if I have the firmware update installed?

Mark R Penn
12-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Mine was also rebuilt. I was told it would not have any updates, but when I tried to instal the firmware update, got an error message telling me it was not for this device. I proceeded with the EUU2 instal and it was all fine (I understand that would have failed without the firmware update). I then let HP know what I had done, and they agreed that the firmware must already have been up to date.

Suggest you try the firmware, and if that wont instal, go ahead and do the EUU, but you might want to wait for someone else to confirm this is correct first.

Mark R Penn
12-12-2002, 06:04 PM
That is good to know! Mine is running right now, passing the 10 minute mark and I was getting worried...

It should be ready about..............................NOW.

Glad I could help.

Mark

Perry Reed
12-12-2002, 06:09 PM

It should be ready about..............................NOW.

Glad I could help.

Mark

HA! Thanks. It finished successfully... eventually.

ChrisW
12-12-2002, 06:13 PM
The link provided is for the Jornada 565. On HP's site there is no upgraded listed yet for 567. Are these all equivalent, or do I need to wait?

skjelnes
12-12-2002, 06:31 PM
I downloaded the file again. Now it installed without any problems. Tanx. :D

Ed Hansberry
12-12-2002, 06:38 PM
I downloade the file again. Now it installed without any problems. Tanx. :D
Cool. 8) I was hoping it was that simple. :)

Inventor
12-12-2002, 07:40 PM
I downloaded it, installed it and it worked fine.

WMP 8.5 looks way better then the older version and it doesn't skip at all with the videos that I had a problem with 8.0.

1. Why do I have to find out here that there is a new ROM update? The first thing I did when I purchased my Jornada 568 was register on HP's website to get product updates and HP never emailed me that there was a ROM upgrade.

2. Also is Microsoft thinking about using ActiveSync to detect if there is a ROM update for your device? It would be great to sync with my PC and have a window popup and tell me that there is a new rom image to download for my device.

Other then that love my 'new' machine!!

jornadaholic
12-12-2002, 10:12 PM
o wow an thought this was never comin out boy it feels good to be wrong :D
and this update does take F O R E E V E R :sleeping:

Video11
12-13-2002, 12:45 AM
o wow an thought this was never comin out boy it feels good to be wrong :D
and this update does take F O R E E V E R :sleeping:

I'll second that. Was really starting to worry as I passed the 13 minute mark, but the upgrade finished without a problem.

WMP 8.5 does look a lot better and videos that jumped and skipped before are much better. The Bliss theme is pretty nice, although a similar theme was available on www.pocketthemes.com months ago.

Now to play around and see if things run any faster.

Certified Optimist
12-13-2002, 04:05 AM
Thanks Ed!

Down-loaded the update, but I will probably wait until after New Year to install it...

...don't want to risk it that my HP decides to take a dive... :crazyeyes:
Got a long-haul flight coming up next week and I need to be able to play EverQuest and Age of Empires...

Bob S
12-13-2002, 03:31 PM
I Installed EUU3 with no problems. PPC works great, except, I can not synch anymore. It connects, then quickly disconnects. Running HP Jornada 568, WIN XP. Tried upgrading to AS 3.6, no luck

Any Suggestions?

Ed Hansberry
12-13-2002, 04:15 PM
I Installed EUU3 with no problems. PPC works great, except, I can not synch anymore. It connects, then quickly disconnects. Running HP Jornada 568, WIN XP. Tried upgrading to AS 3.6, no luck

Any Suggestions?
Yuck. A hard reset should fix it. Before that, delete your partnership and try again. Could be your partnership profile is boogered. Answer NO to deleting files if you sync files. You can then move your \my docs\ppc my docs data to your new folder.

Bob S
12-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Yes I deleted the partnership and it did not help.

Guess a hard reset is in order. Was thinking about it anyway to clean things up. Pain to reinstall it all again

Bob

Bob S
12-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Now isn't that strange. I had to go into work today. I can connect just fine at work. Hmm.

Have to try it again at home

8O