View Full Version : Best memory usage?

Bearjaw
12-12-2002, 02:25 AM
Ok so I'm new to this removable memory thing. I dont know what to store where. I also cant figure out how the Axim uses memory. I'm guessing the built in storage is the left over ROM, but whats up with the RAM. Windows seems to hog half of it to run programs. Is this right? If anyone has suggestion on what to store where let me know. This is whats in my SD card right now. So far I have 4 folders...Music, Movies, pictures and Ebooks. How do you guys use your memory....... Jeff

P.S. and can somebody school me in how to stream music or video to WMP 8.5

Job
12-12-2002, 03:51 AM
I can't offer any help, other than to hopefully draw some attention to your topic, as I too am interested in this question.

spursdude
12-12-2002, 03:56 AM
Well, when you go to the memory settings, you have that bar with a slider in the middle. If I'm correct, that is your RAM. About half, more or less, of it is used for running programs (much like a desktop computer's RAM). The other half can be used to store stuff. This is almost like a hard drive (analagous to one, not that it has any spinning parts or anything).

I usually keep all of my actual documents (i.e. Word files) on RAM, as well as some applications that are near to my heart, like Gigabar and a few others.

I use my storage card for all my games, e-books, music, videos, and some software. When you use your storage card, make sure to put a "My Documents" folder on it, and then you can store your music and ebooks, etc, in that folder for your programs to recognize them.

Have fun the with the Axim.

Bearjaw
12-12-2002, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the help! I have noticed something..I dont have a my documents folder on the SD card but for some great reason Microsoft reader still finds the books in the ebook folder i made there. Do I have to make a music folder in My documents (on the SD card) for WMP to find the files without me having to find them for it? I hate having Three My documents folders on the same device...LOL looks funny and gets confusing...let me know Jeff

Orangeaid
12-12-2002, 11:30 PM
To save some space make your files encoded to windows media player by using windows media encoder just go to microsoft.com to download it. Its good first of all if you have mpg's i know i have a lot of them... its good cuz you can then play it on pocket windows media player when b4 the encoding you couldnt. Plus for video i downloaded a 600 mb divx to like 139 mb after encoding... see this is the crap that says you a lot of memeory for other things.

Another plus is you dont have to install more programs like pocketdivx to watch it when you encode it will play on windows media player.

Bearjaw
12-13-2002, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the tip orangeaid! The WMP encoder is my new favorite program. I squashed a 50 MB clip down to 5MB! that is awesome!!! Thanks again..Does the streaming thing work over a wireless network?...Jeff