View Full Version : Somebody slap me NOW!

Sheynk
12-12-2002, 01:48 AM
I've come to a dilema.

I was edditing a video I shot for my spanish project on my school Mac. They are always sooo slow and they always freeze. right? Thats what I thought. But some piece of **** iMac with a huge hard drive and iMovie was zipping away. Sure...clip creating was not lightning fast, but possible.

For just a second this throught came to me: Are macs actually better???

Then I remembered that I have a beloved Ipaq 3955, and an addiction to PC games (which involve 2+ button mice and there is noooo way u can replace that). With only two exuses not to have a mac, i felt about this "-" big?

Is this normal, should I seek help? This is a midlife crisis! (well I'm almost 16)........Please, my Pocket Pc Thoughts comrads, aid me in the time of confusion!

Zuph
12-12-2002, 02:19 AM
Mac's kick for Video and Audio creation, and picture editing, no doubt about it. Mac's r0x0r if you're an artist, but for gaming, PC wins hands down. OSX is pretty too.

Rirath
12-12-2002, 04:12 AM
Eh, I've always heard Macs are great for designers... but honestly I don't care what the majority of artsy folk like. Macromedia reminds me of Macs... more design than tech. It just completely doesn't feel right to me. Adobe on the other hand, always reminds me of PCs... tech creating design. Then there's linux, which I tend to throw in with Macs just to save the headache of explaining. Basically, linux for webservers is perfect. Linux for anything else is a geek trying to protest MS. :wink:

Bah... short of it is everything has its use to someone somewhere.
And since nobody else called it: *Slaps Sheynk* :twisted:

serpico
12-12-2002, 04:41 AM
Not to get into a big flame thread here, but computers are tools for each of us. Gamers for sure should stick to a PC or buy a PS2 or xbox. For everything else Macs are great. After almost 20 years of PC's and Windows (I'm not that old! :lol: only turned 30 this year!) I switched to try Apple. I have gone through it all including MCSE and it seemed that my home network always worked better than at any job I've been. Funny eh? I think if you know the limitations of a OS you don't feel as bad when ****e happens. It was different switching to OSX, I ended up having more time to learn new apps instead of fixing everyone's PC! Since I had previous knowledge about networks I had my imac and ibook now singing with my home PC network. I love the wireless feature of my ibook and stability, wow, amazing. But remember there's no legacy stuff to keep like Windows has too.

My wife's XP box ( AMD K6-2/400) runs very well, better than the new DELL 1.2 GHz at work! Like I said, when you understand how things work, then you can throw anything at XP, but sorry to say the DELL's at work we bought seem to crawl and freeze daily. It's all the same, I say, pick a tool that works for you. I use a Palm and visit here daily learning from you all in the pocketpc world. I am starting to see the growth in this ppc world and perhaps my next device will be a ppc. I enjoy reading your posts here, this is a great site with great people. :D

Rirath
12-12-2002, 04:52 AM
Like I said, when you understand how things work, then you can throw anything at XP

Indeed, and thanks for pointing that out. A lot of it does depend on the user, and how much access the user has to be able to fix problems.

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 05:18 AM
For just a second this throught came to me: Are macs actually better???
No. Neither are PC's better than Macs. They're different beasts.

Then I remembered that I have a beloved Ipaq 3955, and an addiction to PC games (which involve 2+ button mice and there is noooo way u can replace that). With only two exuses not to have a mac, i felt about this "-" big?
If you honestly want to use your 3955 with a Mac, get PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net/).

We should avoid getting into our typical OS X-vs-XP flamewar, it's best left to comp.sys.mac.advocacy or comp.sys.windows.advocacy (or the alt equivalents).

--bdj

Sheynk
12-12-2002, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the reply.....By the way there is no way I'm converting. It was just my first good experience with a Mac.

I am true loyal PC person :rock on dude!:

Plus macs a $$$$$$$. The price is unreal due to lack of competition (with in the technology)

So the next computer will still be a PC.

Ditch Dell and go with Alienware!

jdavis
12-13-2002, 02:33 AM
Alienware should make pocket pc's. They would kick ass. I always wanted a alien green pocket pc.

Janak Parekh
12-13-2002, 04:50 AM
Plus macs a $$$$$$$. The price is unreal due to lack of competition (with in the technology)
Well, again, it's not that easy to compare Macs and PC's. They're different beasts. Price per computing power, yes, Mac is higher, but you're really paying for other aspects of the system.

Alienware should make pocket pc's. They would kick ass. I always wanted a alien green pocket pc.
... and that's 800MHz, has a cooling fan, has a GeForce 2Go, is a pound, lasts about an hour :lol:

Seriously, have you seen reviews of their laptop? It's more a transportable than a laptop :) Not that I think any of this is bad - they're catering to a high-performance-at-all-costs market.

--bdj

Sheynk
12-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Yeah....and they whould have a clear window with light up circuits just like voodoo and falcon nw.

Ok ok....lets not go overboard with the whole battery thing?

There is nooooo way that this thing would go more than 15 mins... he he he

By the way...what other "aspects of the system" am i paying for (dont include the screen.........I have to agree its awesome.)