View Full Version : Database software

Kati Compton
12-11-2002, 11:06 PM
Right now I'm using a trial version of HanDbase to see if it meets my needs. What other database software do you guys use (and like)?

Ideally, I'd want a program with something like the "forms" you can design with HanDbase...

I'd like to be able to create my own interface as well as data structure.

My other option is perhaps to create a custom application to display my data, but somehow I don't think that would be worth the effort.

I'm willing to spend up to $50, but at that price, it'd better be really good. Even better if whatever I decide on is at Handango and I can use my $20 certificate from buying Pocket Informant....

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 12:06 AM
My other option is perhaps to create a custom application to display my data, but somehow I don't think that would be worth the effort.
Actually, the "Microsoft way" is to deploy SQL Server CE (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ce/) and to write a custom VB/C++/C# client on top. I believe it's free..

I'm personally waiting for the final release of VS .Net 2003 before I start development, then use .Net and ADO.Net (or whatever the Pocket PC equivalent is), plus Windows Forms for the frontend controls.

--bdj

JonnoB
12-12-2002, 12:21 AM
HandBase seems great for rapid development... however as BigDaddy recommended, you may consider heavier duty SQL type database. Also, if your PPC will be connected, you may want to think about developing a real server based database and expose data through .Net using the compact framework on your PDA.

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 05:30 AM
HandBase seems great for rapid development... however as BigDaddy recommended, you may consider heavier duty SQL type database.
Mind you, SQL Server CE is not a "heavy", SQL Server Win32-type database. It's a very small database engine - I'd think of it more on the Jet level of Microsoft engine sizes.

SQL is also a nice standardized backend to work with...

--bdj