View Full Version : Battery life and LED questions on the e740

Jimmy Dodd
12-11-2002, 07:53 PM
I have had my e740 for a few months now and I like it very much. I have recently begun having a situation where the battery discharges completely over the course of a day of non-use. My normal mode of operation is to use the e740 extensively during the week and I keep it well charged throughout the workday. Overnight I use it intermittenly but never get below 50% charge.

On three occaisions in the past month the e740 has sat for a day (maybe two) over a long weekend without use. When I try to use it it is nonresponsive. Plugging it into the charger shows 1% battery charge and it's memory is clean (I get the welcome wizard) when I turn it on.

Does anyone else experience this? Could an alarm LED drain the battery this quickly if it isn't acknowledged? The "Flash Light for x minutes" is set for ten minutes, but I have noticed that the LED sometimes seems to flash until I acknowledge the notification. Is this a known issue? It would be nice to hear others' experiences before I start chasing this thing down.

jim s
12-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Have you got the newest rom upgrade on it? The battery issues were the main reason for the recall, as I recall.

Jimmy Dodd
12-11-2002, 11:21 PM
Have you got the newest rom upgrade on it? The battery issues were the main reason for the recall, as I recall.

I've got EUU3, if that's what you mean. And as for the recall, mine wasn't in the included S/N range. I don't seem to have any problem losing memory when the battery is removed temporarily. It's actually the main battery discharging that causes me grief.

mashtim
12-11-2002, 11:39 PM
I had a similar problem, and Cust Supp had me send it in, even though I was outside the recall range. Turned out that there were a couple of contacts loose near the battery.

Since I've gotten my unit back, no mystery battery drains! :rock on dude!:

Jimmy Dodd
12-12-2002, 04:18 PM
I had a similar problem, and Cust Supp had me send it in, even though I was outside the recall range. Turned out that there were a couple of contacts loose near the battery.

Since I've gotten my unit back, no mystery battery drains! :rock on dude!:

I got mine through Best Buy and went ahead and bought the replacement plan. I think I'll return it and see if I get a better one this time. I can't really do without it for the week or two it would take Toshiba to fix it.