View Full Version : First Thoughts from BargainPDA on the iPAQ 1910

Jason Dunn
12-11-2002, 06:04 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1041&showComments=true' target='_blank'>http://www.bargainpda.com/default.a...owComments=true</a><br /><br /></div>Still pondering buying <a href="http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php?form_keyword=ipaq%201910&topcat_id=1&found=2&ut=4493b2c34aaee6dd">an iPAQ 1910?</a> (low price search) This article may help convince you!

enemy2k2
12-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Also check out www.pocketgamer.org for a snibbet about the buttons working perfectly for gaming :!: Supports multiple button presses. No mention of how games run on it though. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if not for the Axim I would pick up this little sweetheart in a heartbeat :oops:

JonnoB
12-11-2002, 06:15 PM
What is an XDA processor referenced in this article? Someone confusing the XDA phone with the XScale Intel CPU?

spg
12-11-2002, 06:22 PM
What is an XDA processor referenced in this article? Someone confusing the XDA phone with the XScale Intel CPU?
I think he meant PXA processor. At least those are what the specs on HP's web-site say. http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/overview/0,12512,series=296097%5Etype=64929%5Ecategory=215383,00.html?lsidebarLayId=106&rsidebarLayId=63

Sorry for the long URL there. :?

tccox
12-11-2002, 07:50 PM
Hmmmmmm,

Non standard earphone jack size

No SDIO slot

Pro Version of Pocket PC , not Premium (No spell check, have to install MP)

Odd memory config/management

But it's small, guess that makes up for other shortcomings to some folks. Not to me......

huangzhinong
12-11-2002, 08:05 PM
I FORGet who mentioned in earlier posts that this model will sell much beter than expected. Now i totally agree with him. It seems SIZE really MATTER.

i Found hp.com has the H1910 CRADLE for sale at $49.99. I am very angry about that. They take away the cradle from the package and make this one as under $300 unit, then sell the cradle seperately at $50, make the final price at least $350. It is a kind of cheating, no difference from viewsonic memory cheating.

huangzhinong
12-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Hmmmmmm,
It is not a trouble for me, I like the small size jack.

No SDIO slot

I can't afford any SDIO device, not a problem for me.

It is prefect for me, I hate HP installed so many garbage into my precious ROM.

Don't understand your comment here.

But it's small, guess that makes up for other shortcomings to some folks. Not to me......
Absolutely for me.

shawnc
12-11-2002, 08:57 PM
i Found hp.com has the H1910 CRADLE for sale at $49.99. I am very angry about that. They take away the cradle from the package and make this one as under $300 unit, then sell the cradle seperately at $50, make the final price at least $350. It is a kind of cheating, no difference from viewsonic memory cheating.

You know, this is getting ridiculous! Every time you think you see a good deal, then the PPC maker tries to squeeze additional blood out of you. I'm finally starting to come around on the 1910 at $299, but without the cradle it really is a $350 device. Since when is a cradle NOT STANDARD EQUIPMENT! It IS deceptive on HP's part. Most consumers would assume a cradle is included. Everyone is giving them credit for being upfront about the memory issue (in contrast to viewsonic) but how is this any better. $50 to be able to set this thing on your desk and see your scheduler. Geez HP, you just don't get it. You don't gouge the customer just because you can! :evil:

JasonY
12-11-2002, 08:58 PM

I'd have to disagree with you there. The H1910 does come with a USB sync cable and AC adapter: much along the lines of the Axim 300MHz model, so you aren't forced to purchase any additional components like the cradle. Everywhere that I've looked, HP hasn't been misleading about this model not having a cradle included... That in mind, I'd say it's not cheating and certainly it's a lot different than what viewsonic did: False advertising (based on the defacto standards in PPC marketing) vs. pushing down the price by cutting out the perks (although a cradle is more a necessity than a perk).

-jas

Daniel
12-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Seems like a nice little machine but only for a second device, you know... ;)

Daniel

tccox
12-11-2002, 09:24 PM
[quote=tccox]Hmmmmmm,
It is not a trouble for me, I like the small size jack.

No SDIO slot

I can't afford any SDIO device, not a problem for me.

No plans to ever use a modem with your device ??????

Well , with only 16MB ROM it REALLY is precious

Don't understand your comment here.

Simple only 16MB ROM , 64MB RAM but only 48MB avaliable to user and if you load missing applications which some folks DO want even less avaliable for programs / storage.

Would be a great unit for $199 (And I am a HP/Compaq fan . Own a IPAQ 3835 , also have a Axim on order) But at $299 you give up wayyyy to much as compared to the Axim. (Size ??? Well the Axim with both CF and SD slots is way smaller than my IPAQ 3835 with sleeve)

Must make one correction. Apparently spell checker will be included with the 1910

mv
12-12-2002, 12:19 AM

Well , with only 16MB ROM it REALLY is precious

Must make one correction. Apparently spell checker will be included with the 1910

Yes it has spellchecker. Itīs on the 1910 faq at hp website.
I wonīt use a modem. I donīt have the money for SDIO cards, but i can buy a GPRS enabled phone with IR; that way i can access the web without a modem or BT card. BT cards are expensive, and BT phones are expensive too. But a GPRS enabled phone with IR is not too expensive. And i donīt need anything else.

And the craddle? I can live with no craddle, and keep that $50 in my pocket. Iīll just buy a leather case for this baby :)

Jason Dunn
12-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Well, FWIW, I prefer charge/sync cables to cradles anyway. I wonder if the 1910 cable is sync only, or sync/chage?

enemy2k2
12-12-2002, 01:10 AM
What's the big deal about the cradle? I would have preferred a sync cable as well over the cradle I got sent with my Axim. It does the same job, takes up less space on your desk and just hide the cable away after the job's done. You want to see the screen while it's connected? Just position it so on your desk :D

shawnc
12-12-2002, 01:27 AM
What's the big deal about the cradle? I would have preferred a sync cable as well over the cradle I got sent with my Axim. It does the same job, takes up less space on your desk and just hide the cable away after the job's done. You want to see the screen while it's connected? Just position it so on your desk :D

Just personal preference, I guess. I was always fumbling around trying to position my ipaq so I could see the display while I was at work. Brought an extra cradle, and that did the trick (and the WOW factor when co-workers came to see you made having the cradle worthwhile. keep in mind, we Fiance geeks are easily impressed). Plus I just think it's deceptive on HP's part. But that could just be a lack of research on my part. People were always contrasting the two Dell models so I KNEW that the 300 mhz machine did not come with a cradle. But I assumed the HP had a cradle because I had never heard otherwise. I don't think it is unusual for a consumer to assume that a PDA comes with a cradle. But again, that could just be my lack of understanding.

Lastly I think I'm just getting a little frustrated. I've never had so much trouble trying to SPEND money. I want a new PDA but everytime I settle on one, I seem to get a surprise.

Oh well, back to the drawing board! :D