View Full Version : Supersize that IPAQ

inkfox
12-11-2002, 04:53 PM
I've got an IPAQ 3975.

What are my options for large storage expansion?

I'd like to get something at a gig or better, however the IBM microdrive doesn't list this as one of the supported models.

Do flash cards exist in 1 gig or 2 gig sizes?

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 04:59 PM
It definitely supports the Microdrive, but if you want CF, I'd opt for the 1GB flash - less battery consumption. (Either that, or get the CF+ sleeve, which has an auxiliary battery.)

If you want > 1GB, you have to go with a PC sleeve and get the 5GB Toshiba PC card drive.

FYI, IBM is coming out with a 6GB CF Microdrive within the next year or so.

--bdj

butch
12-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Do flash cards exist in 1 gig or 2 gig sizes?

Yup! Pretec just introduced 1.5G, 2.0G and 3.0G CF...
http://www.pretec.com/PR_3GB_021118.pdf

inkfox
12-11-2002, 05:44 PM
It definitely supports the Microdrive, but if you want CF, I'd opt for the 1GB flash - less battery consumption. (Either that, or get the CF+ sleeve, which has an auxiliary battery.)

If you want > 1GB, you have to go with a PC sleeve and get the 5GB Toshiba PC card drive.

Any clues about the speed of the Toshiba for large files, compared to flash? Are both pretty well USB-limited?

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Yup! Pretec just introduced 1.5G, 2.0G and 3.0G CF...
http://www.pretec.com/PR_3GB_021118.pdf
They're only available in sampling quantities, though, so I wouldn't say they're going to be mass market for at least another 6 months. Unless you're willing to pay exorbitant prices...

inkfox, the hard drives are quite fast--generally faster in writes and comparable in reads. There is time, though, associated with spinup, which is a bit annoying. I would find it really tedious to store my documents on the Microdrive. MP3's, movies, and the like are more practical on such a medium.

--bdj

inkfox
12-11-2002, 06:11 PM
[quote=butch]inkfox, the hard drives are quite fast--generally faster in writes and comparable in reads. There is time, though, associated with spinup, which is a bit annoying. I would find it really tedious to store my documents on the Microdrive. MP3's, movies, and the like are more practical on such a medium.
I'm most interested in a few gigs of space for transporting work files to and from the office. Being able to reuse the space for MP3 playback would be nice. I don't forsee a lot of random access to this data. The Toshiba 5G option may be the best.

This looks to be a PCMCIA card. The standard PCMCIA card and a sled with a PCMCIA slot and extra battery are all I need, correct? How much does this affect the profile of the IPAQ - this roughly doubles the depth?

Brad Adrian
12-11-2002, 06:12 PM
...If you want > 1GB, you have to go with a PC sleeve and get the 5GB Toshiba PC card drive...
This works great, especially for large files like movies or a large number of files, like MP3s. However, be prepared for significant battery drain. Using the old PCMCIA sleeve, I can watch about an hour's worth of a movie at full screen brightness. After that, it's back to the power cord or a battery extender.

inkfox
12-11-2002, 06:17 PM
...If you want > 1GB, you have to go with a PC sleeve and get the 5GB Toshiba PC card drive...
This works great, especially for large files like movies or a large number of files, like MP3s. However, be prepared for significant battery drain. Using the old PCMCIA sleeve, I can watch about an hour's worth of a movie at full screen brightness. After that, it's back to the power cord or a battery extender.

I'm a newcomer to this: By the "old" sleeve, do you mean one without the supplemental battery?

JonnoB
12-11-2002, 06:20 PM
CF cards are probably the best for extended use, PC Cards the best for price/size ratio. You have lots of options!

PhatCohiba
12-11-2002, 06:53 PM
I'm most interested in a few gigs of space for transporting work files to and from the office. Being able to reuse the space for MP3 playback would be nice. I don't forsee a lot of random access to this data. The Toshiba 5G option may be the best.

If you go the CF route get a good card reader to connect to your computer. It transfers files at least 2-3 times faster then active stink.

-jb

Brad Adrian
12-11-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm a newcomer to this: By the "old" sleeve, do you mean one without the supplemental battery?
No, it has a battery, but mine is 2+ years old and doesn't have the removable battery like the newer one (part number 249708-B21) does. I don't have battery info handy, but I believe the new sleeves incorporate a slightly more powerful battery than my old one.

inkfox
12-11-2002, 08:16 PM

FYI, IBM is coming out with a 6GB CF Microdrive within the next year or so.

Okay, looking at the profile difference between the Compact Flash expansion and the PCMCIA expansion, I think I'd want to go CF. I don't know if anyone makes pants baggy enough to pocket the PCMCIA version all the time.

I think it's just enough to make a difference between using the thing and not.

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Okay, looking at the profile difference between the Compact Flash expansion and the PCMCIA expansion, I think I'd want to go CF. I don't know if anyone makes pants baggy enough to pocket the PCMCIA version all the time.
Yes, the CF+ and Silver Slider sleeves are very pocketable in a pair of jeans. You'd need Dockers Mobile Pants or baggy cargo pants to get away with the PC+ card sleeve in your pocket.

Just to add to Brad's comment: the old sleeve was the original "PC card sleeve"; the new PC+ sleeve adds the ability to remove the battery, use two different capacities, and a hard cover on the front a la cover pack. The CF+ is nearly the same as the PC+, but unlike the PC+ you don't have to use the battery for the CF+; it also comes with a "blank" so CF cards can draw off the main iPaq's battery.

--bdj

inkfox
12-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Yes, the CF+ and Silver Slider sleeves are very pocketable in a pair of jeans. You'd need Dockers Mobile Pants or baggy cargo pants to get away with the PC+ card sleeve in your pocket.

Just to add to Brad's comment: the old sleeve was the original "PC card sleeve"; the new PC+ sleeve adds the ability to remove the battery, use two different capacities, and a hard cover on the front a la cover pack. The CF+ is nearly the same as the PC+, but unlike the PC+ you don't have to use the battery for the CF+; it also comes with a "blank" so CF cards can draw off the main iPaq's battery.

Cool.

I've gone ahead and ordered a 256mb SD memory card for data I'll use often, as well as the 1G microdrive and CF sleeve for daily data transport. I think I can make do with a gig of transportable storage for the daily stuff until the larger CF drives come out.

For the rare day I need something larger, I'll just use a portable USB drive.

Thanks for the data, guys.

dangerwit
12-12-2002, 03:04 AM
A word about the microdrives: careful.

I've gone through four of these things, half 340MB, half 1 GB. They're all fried, and I don't know why. I kept them in the sleeve, which I kept attached to my iPaq at all times.

I used them a lot, but not enough so that all four die within two years.

*Phil

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 05:25 AM
Hmm, I've used mine every day for 2 years, not a whine from the drive... yet. Attached to my sleeve most of the time, but sometimes I stick a WiFi card in.

Of course, it'll now happen tomorrow. ;)

Is it possible your supplier shipped it poorly, or you got bad batch units, or maybe you're just unlucky? :)

--bdj

inkfox
12-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Hmm, I've used mine every day for 2 years, not a whine from the drive... yet. Attached to my sleeve most of the time, but sometimes I stick a WiFi card in.

Out of curiosity, are either of you careful about putting these in your pockets, etc? How do you transport them, what kind of handling do they get?

don dre
12-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Go with CF. Pc CArds are battery hogs and the PC Card battery life seems to diminish just like the ipaq battery. My friend has one and it skips when he walks playing mp3's. I have a microdrive and CF +, i jog with it. Moreover, my battery life is great.

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 09:48 PM
Out of curiosity, are either of you careful about putting these in your pockets, etc? How do you transport them, what kind of handling do they get?
Stays in my sleeve 90%+ of the time. Usually in my shirt-pocket other times. The kit came with a nice little padded hard case for transporting it, but I haven't had to use it.

--bdj