View Full Version : Retro?

FredMurphy
12-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Hey - when did "Retro" get added to the title of the forum? :x

I know they're discontinued, but I still love my 568!

Fred

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Relax, "Retro" sounds cool :D

Time for some groovy-colored hard covers...

--bdj

Sven Johannsen
12-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Time for some groovy-colored hard covers...

I wish, I loved my electric lime 548.

marlof
12-12-2002, 12:56 AM
Hey - when did "Retro" get added to the title of the forum? :x I know they're discontinued, but I still love my 568!

So do I. And my 548. And my 720. And the 928 I had for a while. I love the Jornada line of devices, and have my fingers crossed that the newer iPAQs will have some of the Jornada qualities.

JonnoB
12-12-2002, 01:44 AM
and have my fingers crossed that the newer iPAQs will have some of the Jornada qualities.

Like an integrated flip-lid. A CF slot and a flip-lid would have made the 54xx near perfect.

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 05:28 AM
Like an integrated flip-lid. A CF slot and a flip-lid would have made the 54xx near perfect.
It's called the CF+ sleeve. Don't diss the idea until you've tried it. I don't even notice it in my pocket anymore. The second battery is also massively helpful. :)

If you want even thinner, consider the Silver Slider 5.

--bdj

JonnoB
12-12-2002, 07:43 AM
If you want even thinner, consider the Silver Slider 5.

I had an iPaq that I gave to my wife... silver slider included. Just too much bulk. As much as I like the sleeve idea, I should not have to get one just to get I/O expansion. I went from the iPaq to the Jornada to the Toshiba. I am a PDA nut in search of a complete device.

FredMurphy
12-12-2002, 11:57 AM

Completely agree on CF and flip-lid.

I know most people love the iPAQ / Sleeve concept but there seems to be enough of us who don't want the extra bulk that I'd have thought one manufacturer would have gone with the 568 form-factor.

Protecting the screen and adding peripherals (not just memory) seem to me to be something that should be included in a PPC without having to double it size.

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 10:01 PM
I had an iPaq that I gave to my wife... silver slider included. Just too much bulk. As much as I like the sleeve idea, I should not have to get one just to get I/O expansion. I went from the iPaq to the Jornada to the Toshiba. I am a PDA nut in search of a complete device.
Was this a SS5? Or an SS2 with a case? The hardcover, while not total protection, mitigates the thickness of the sleeve a lot. The thickness of my CF+ iPaq is about the same as a naked iPaq with a well-padded case.

There's also the option of a Cover Pack and using SD/IO, but I know you want more. ;)

But that's my 2 cents, more power to you if you can find nirvana elsewhere. :)

--bdj

whatsnext?
01-02-2003, 06:37 PM
:lol: cant go wrong with a jornada(for now)

just wish there was something i could do 'bout all that dust :lol:

Doriath22
02-07-2003, 08:54 PM
I find it cool that my Jornada is one of the first pocket pc's... maybe one day there will be a market for old handhelds (OWN the HANDHELD Computer that STARTED IT ALL!!!!!! The FIRST Pocket PC!!) So I have no problem calling it "retro"

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 02:47 AM
Hey - when did "Retro" get added to the title of the forum? :x

I assume "retro" was added when HP acquired Compaq and announced the iPAQ line would survive. Those are HP's new Pocket PCs, so the Jornadas would be retro. (They aren't obsolete, and retro does sound cool.)

Steve

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 02:50 AM
OWN the HANDHELD Computer that STARTED IT ALL!!!!!!

That certainly wouldn't be the Jornada. :-) I'd think Palm could stake a better claim to that title. 8O

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-08-2003, 03:26 AM
That certainly wouldn't be the Jornada. :-) I'd think Palm could stake a better claim to that title. 8O
I think the point was that the HP was the first available Pocket PC, but that is also debatable (I believe both the HP and the Casio E-125 were immediately available upon the Pocket PC 2000 launch, while the iPaq was in massive shortages and the #1 sought item everywhere).

In any case, Palm can stake a claim to making HotSync easy, and perhaps the idea of a pervasive/sole stylus-based input, but most everything else was already there on Zaurus, Wizard, or B.O.S.S. units. :)

--janak

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 08:43 AM

I think the point was that the HP was the first available Pocket PC, but that is also debatable (I believe both the HP and the Casio E-125 were immediately available upon the Pocket PC 2000 launch, while the iPaq was in massive shortages and the #1 sought item everywhere).

The iPAQ wasn't available, but didn't Compaq refit one of its Palm-Sized PCs with the Pocket PC OS? I don't know if it was available at the launch, though.

Even so, I don't ccnsider the Pocket PC line anything that new. They evolved from those Palm-Sized PCs, which mutated from Handheld PCs -- the first Windows CE devices. (I found my Hitachi Windows CE 1.0 Handheld PC recently, and it still works. :-))

In any case, Palm can stake a claim to making HotSync easy, and perhaps the idea of a pervasive/sole stylus-based input, but most everything else was already there on Zaurus, Wizard, or B.O.S.S. units. :)

True, but those were simple organizers. Did any of those allow you to add your own programs? If you can't add your own programs, I don't really consider it a computer. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-08-2003, 08:59 PM
The iPAQ wasn't available, but didn't Compaq refit one of its Palm-Sized PCs with the Pocket PC OS? I don't know if it was available at the launch, though.
Yes, you're thinking of the Aero 1530 - the first "tiny" PSPC. You could get an upgrade which would make it equivalent to an Aero 1550, which was running Pocket PC 2000 at a leisurely 75MHz. However, I'm pretty sure this came out at least a month after PPC2000.

True, but those were simple organizers. Did any of those allow you to add your own programs? If you can't add your own programs, I don't really consider it a computer. :-)
Hmm, I can't remember. :) But there were certainly handheld devices with installable software -- how about the HP 200LX or its predecessor? Those ran DOS...

--janak