View Full Version : Dell axis X5 vs. ipaq 3970

lul1971
12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
I am having problems choosing between the 2 ppc's mentioned. Hopefully some of you can give me some good advice!

1. Which one has the best screen quality?

2. Dell is cheap...does that mean it breaks easier? Usually price and quality go hand in hand dosen't it?

3. Does the ipaq have sofware that is outstanding better than the Dell? Or is Dell enough for one like me that has never had a ppc before?

4, Can you come up with something else that makes the choose easier ;-)

I hope one or two nice people out there will use a little time on me :)

Rirath
12-11-2002, 12:47 PM
The Dell *cough*Axim*cough* isn't a cheap unit, and even if it did break it includes a 1yr replacement plan. No worries there. Dell includes $40 worth of free software (Rosco Picture viewer, IA Presenter). I don't think the Ipaqs come with anything. Read some of the threads debating between the two, but I say go with Dell and enjoy your spare cash. You ask if the Dell would be "enough" like it's lacking, but in actuality I'd say it meets or exceeds everything the Ipaq has to offer. The screens are close enough, though most people would probably give the Ipaq a slight edge. Read some past threads and decide for yourself, it's very much a personal choice.

Pony99CA
12-11-2002, 02:54 PM
I am having problems choosing between the 2 ppc's mentioned. Hopefully some of you can give me some good advice!

1. Which one has the best screen quality?

2. Dell is cheap...does that mean it breaks easier? Usually price and quality go hand in hand dosen't it?

3. Does the ipaq have sofware that is outstanding better than the Dell? Or is Dell enough for one like me that has never had a ppc before?

4, Can you come up with something else that makes the choose easier ;-)

Both have good screens from what I've read, with a slight edge to iPAQ, maybe.

iPAQ has the best software bundle going. I'm not sure what the 3970 comes with, but all the other iPAQs have been outstanding.

As for other factors, the Dell costs less and has Compact Flash support, both of which are very nice. The iPAQ has Bluetooth and Consumer IR built-in, so those weigh in its favor.

Is there some reason you're not considering the 5450? It's not much more expensive than the 3970, but has built-in WiFi, the fingerprint scanner, vibrating alarms, a better Bluetooth stack, and more.

Steve

Pony99CA
12-11-2002, 03:01 PM
The Dell *cough*Axim*cough* isn't a cheap unit, and even if it did break it includes a 1yr replacement plan. No worries there. Dell includes $40 worth of free software (Rosco Picture viewer, IA Presenter).

Could you mean the *cough*Resco Picture Viewer (http://www.resco-net.com/PicView.asp)*cough*? :-D

I don't think the Ipaqs come with anything.

You thought incorrectly. iPAQs have traditionally come with the most extensive software bundle of any Pocket PC. For example, here's what comes with the 5450 (from the Sprinklerhead review (http://www.sprinklerhead.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=9)):

Activesync 3.5, Outlook 2000,Avaya™ IP Softphone for Pocket PC, Running Voice IP™, Cisco CallManager, IP blue VTGO!, XcelleNet's Afaria, NetMotion Mobility, Colligo Personal Edition for Pocket PC, Check Point, iPresentation Mobile Converter LE, WordLogic™ Keyboard (Trial Edition), Quick View Plus(r) for Windows CE, MARGI Systems Inc.’s Presenter-to-Go™, Callex® PocketPC with ETPlayer™- Voicemail, CNM Xpress Conferencer™, Macromedia Flash Player 5 for Pocket PC 2002, Bust'em, RealOne Player for Pocket PC, PocketTT, JeodeRuntime, Ilium Software eWallet® (Professional Edition, Trial Version), Ilium Software ListPro™ (Professional Edition, Trial Version), F-Secure FileCrypto for Pocket PC Personal Edition, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® for Pocket PC, Pocket Watch - The Interactive World Clock For Pocket PC. Feeeewww that's a lot of software!

My iPAQ 3650 and 3870 both came with similarly extensive sets of software, so I see no reason why the 3970 would be different.

And that list didn't include the stuff in ROM, which I think includes a picture viewer, backup utility and the Nevo Universal Remote Control software.

Steve

lul1971
12-11-2002, 03:38 PM
*cough*Axim*cough*

Okey I am a newbie :wink:

I don't think the Ipaqs come with anything

Apart from word exel etc it comes with

On the CD are full versions of ViaVoice, iPresenter, WordLogic, Quick View Plus, Presenter-To-Go, Macromedia Flash Player, Bust-Em, Real One Player, Jeode Java Runtime, Afaria, FileCrypto, Acrobat Reader and PocketWatch - plus a few trial versions. When the cost of this software is taken into account, the price of the iPAQ becomes a bit more reasonable.

Is there some reason you're not considering the 5450? It's not much more expensive than the 3970, but has built-in WiFi, the fingerprint scanner, vibrating alarms, a better Bluetooth stack, and more.

I live in Denmark/Europe and the ipaq 5450 isn't available here yet. I can get the 3970 with a speciel rebate -otherwise I wouldn't even consider it. The Dell Axim isn't available here yet either, but maybe it's worth waiting a few months for!

Bersides this is what I read about the 5450 in a review -I am definately a newbie ;-)

If you are a newbie or are switching from Palm I can’t necessarily
recommend it as there a so many features it will make your head spin

Steven Cedrone
12-11-2002, 07:56 PM
The Dell *cough*Axim*cough* isn't a cheap unit, and even if it did break it includes a 1yr replacement plan. No worries there. Dell includes $40 worth of free software (Rosco Picture viewer, IA Presenter).

Could you mean the *cough*Resco Picture Viewer (http://www.resco-net.com/PicView.asp)*cough*? :-D

:rofl:

You guys are too much...Thanks for the laugh though!!! :wink:

Steve

Rirath
12-12-2002, 04:56 AM
Could you mean the *cough*Resco Picture Viewer*cough*?

Hai hai, sou desu. :oops: Sumimasen... eigo ga sukoshi hanashimasu. :wink:

Pony99CA
12-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Could you mean the *cough*Resco Picture Viewer*cough*?

Hai hai, sou desu. :oops: Sumimasen... eigo ga sukoshi hanashimasu. :wink:
OK, I'm guessing that's Japanese. I speak English, some Spanish, a smattering of German and a "oui" bit of French, but no Japanese. Could we have a translation?

Steve

Kaber
12-12-2002, 06:17 PM
I have only one thing to say:

iPAQs rule!

Darth iPAQ (http://home1.gte.net/res02afy/darthipaq.jpg)

Darth iPAQ 2 (http://home1.gte.net/res02afy/darthipaq2.jpg)

...ps

I think he's saying something about he's heard it before and he's sorry he only does a little english.

Rirath
12-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Roughly: "Yeah yeah, your right. Sorry, I only speak a little English. ;)" Omedetou, Kaber.

Kaber
12-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Omedetou, Kaber.

Do itahima****e

Pony99CA
12-13-2002, 08:20 AM
Darth iPAQ (http://home1.gte.net/res02afy/darthipaq.jpg)

Darth iPAQ 2 (http://home1.gte.net/res02afy/darthipaq2.jpg)

I hope this doesn't mean that people who use iPAQs have succumbed to the Dark Side of the Force. :black:

Steve (a proud iPAQ 3870 owner and future -- I hope -- iPAQ 5450 owner)