View Full Version : Palm to PocketPC - but no PDA!

ashutoshmankar
12-11-2002, 04:38 AM
:roll: Here's a wierd one! I am finally making the switch to the PocketPC because my hand was forced. I lost my Handspring Visor and took the plunge into buying a PocketPC -- I have a Dell Axim on order.

The problem that I have is to sync the Palm Desktop -- I have over a 1000 address and an extensive calendar on the Palm Desktop -- with Outlook 2000? Most methods require that you still have the PDA. I am looking for some way of moving the data from the Palm Desktop without needing to have the PDA.

HELP! HELP!

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 05:46 AM
I've got two suggestions for you:

1. Borrow a friend's handheld :)

2. Export the Palm Desktop data to CSV, and then import the CSV file into Outlook.

--bdj

serpico
12-11-2002, 07:33 PM
I've got two suggestions for you:

1. Borrow a friend's handheld :)

2. Export the Palm Desktop data to CSV, and then import the CSV file into Outlook.

--bdj

Great suggestions, I would use the CSV format if there are no other palm's around. I have done this before with Outlook and it works fine.

etalianstallion
12-18-2002, 11:41 PM
I've gone through this as well so let me list how I got things from the Palm Desktop to my new PPC. Basically I sold my Sony CLIE PEG-S300 a little too early--I had thought that my Dell would arrive sooner than it did.

Anyway, the Sony Desktop did not have an export function to create a CSV file which would have worked nicely for import into Outlook. I exported the files in the formats provided and imported them into Yahoo calendar/address. From Yahoo you can then export a CSV file which you can then use to import into Outlook.

Not everything came through exactly as I had it on my Sony CLIE, but it worked pretty well. I had to export about 2 years of info so I'm glad it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Yahoo is a great go-between if you download the special intellisync. Do one export to yahoo, then do an import to Outlook.

When I switched to the Maestro, I did it and it worked great.

Then when I got my Tungsten T, and switched back, it worked great again :wink: