View Full Version : Back In the World of the Connected

Brad Adrian
12-11-2002, 01:57 AM
I don't know if it's been much of a news story where you live, but I've just spent the last week marooned by <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/12/08/carolinas.power.ap/">a huge ice storm</a>, finding out what it would be like if Hell froze over. Ice storms aren't very common in Durham, North Carolina, so our entire world came to a screeching halt (I guess the area just has too many trees, too many above-ground power lines and not enough sane automobile drivers). Millions of us in the area have had to get by without electricity, landline phones, mobile phones and -- gasp! -- Internet access.<br /><br />After the storm hit last Wednesday and knocked out the power, it was kind of exciting for the first couple of days. My family and I would sit huddled around the fireplace, playing games and listening to MP3s with our Pocket PCs. We even watched a couple of movies on my Pocket PC in the evenings, using the battery extender I had built. As you can guess, though, for such a gadget-focused, Internet-loving, wireless-centric, technology-hungry geek like me, the adventure lost its excitement once my various batteries went dead and it became clear that the wireless towers would not be fixed anytime soon. Never mind trying to keep warm. Never mind keeping the house's pipes from freezing and bursting. I WANTED TO BE CONNECTED AGAIN!<br /><br />The good news is that my family and I finally got electricity after five days and Internet access one day later. I hope nobody has to go through such an experience again, but it made me wonder...

KyleC
12-11-2002, 03:08 AM
...I've just spent the last week marooned by a huge ice storm (http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/12/08/carolinas.power.ap/)...

You poor thing :wink: ! Why I remember back in 1998, Maine had it's own ice storm. Still remember it, even to this day. Almost two weeks without power and ice everywhere! It looked spectacular, but alas, it made driving quite dangerous 8)

Having been through an ice storm, I can honestly say that I didn't miss the internet quite as much as you must have, but then again no major national cell phone provider covers Maine; no high-speed internet except in the middle of the cities, and my family doesn't even have a microwave!

bitbank
12-11-2002, 03:09 AM
Where I live, we sometimes have had to go days without electricity because of hurricanes. The problem then becomes no connectivity, no electricity and no air conditioning. I would much rather sweat than freeze; that's why I live here. I always have a gas grille for just such an emergency.

My parents live in N.C. and were without power for a few days and they have an electic grille 8O

In these situations, I use my several UPSs to power compact fluorescent lights. I get many hours of light from that combination. My neighbors are sometimes heard to comment "how come they have power?".

When the power is out, it really reminds us how dependent we are on electricity.

L.B.

CoreyJF
12-11-2002, 03:15 AM
as long as you have Electricty you can add a heater so No heat, but plenty of electricity and connectivity is a no brainer

Isaac
12-11-2002, 03:28 AM
The worst I've seen here in Phoenix was a cold snap last winter that lasted a few days, got so cold that my nipples poked through my golf shirt. I actually had to chew some cinnamon gum to warm my body... :P :lol:

Obviously just kidding, Glad to hear you and the family are doing good! :D

And I don't know what I would do if I lost connectivity, I feel for you man.

ThomasC22
12-11-2002, 03:37 AM
I have two problems with this poll:

A: My electric company owns me, I have no gas whatsoever, so no electricity kills me.

and

B: Where do the chips and salsa factor in the other choices? If I'm freezing, or in the dark, I'd really like some comfort food! :)

Seriously, I picked 'C' because I'd rather not freeze to death and my connectivity isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot of good without electricity :)

Anyway, back to complaining about the cold at my house (it's 63 degrees right now, brrrrrrrr)

Brad Adrian
12-11-2002, 04:01 AM
Actually, I think the worst part was when the wireless towers went down, and I could see the little battery gauge on my mobile phones sinking, too. Including my Pocket PC Phone Edition, we had a total of five mobile phones, and not one of them was working. More than once, my wife turned to me and said, "So, just how amazing are all your toys NOW, Gadget-Boy?!?"

butch
12-11-2002, 04:11 AM
I remember the strom we had here in Quebec in 1998... many didn't have electricity for a month! We were lucky we only ran about 2 hours out of power...
Story here and pict http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSIceStorm/home.html

Sheynk
12-11-2002, 04:19 AM
Oh man, I am getting flashbacks of my life in the post communistic Ukraine!!!!.......No, I like Europe. It seems ever since I left they've improved soooooooooooooo much. Now we they get hot water, electricity, and a GSM network that is about one gagillion better than the one in US.

Back to the topic: SNOW RULES!!!!!.....unless you get snowed in with a hot supermodel, then it ROCKS!

Pony99CA
12-11-2002, 04:57 AM
Seriously, I picked 'C' because I'd rather not freeze to death and my connectivity isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot of good without electricity :)

My thoughts exactly. I suppose you could get connectivity without electricity, but eventually, as Brad found out, your batteries will die.

Steve

Pony99CA
12-11-2002, 05:00 AM
I would much rather sweat than freeze; that's why I live here.

This seems backwards to me. If it's cold, you can always put more layers on to get warm. If it's hot, you can't take much more off than naked. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 05:27 AM
This seems backwards to me. If it's cold, you can always put more layers on to get warm. If it's hot, you can't take much more off than naked. :-)
It's a statistical thing, right? How are there more deaths every year: from frostbite and other cold-related illnesses, or from heat exhaustion/overheating?

I'd guess the former. I also envy south Floridians who are walking in shorts right now... :(

--bdj

ECOslin
12-11-2002, 05:51 AM
I can cope with no electricity. I have one main SmartUPS 900 that I've replaced the batteries once or twice. I've got all the pieces of another.
I can always borrow the battery out of my pickup and use an inverter.

My desktop on the UPS is a low wattage system I assembled and the monitor is a not-so-old power concious version.

I've had the power go out, a couple of times, and I've kept on truckin' til the power came back on.

Richmond, Virginia has the Appalachians to guard central Virginia from the most of storms and snow. North and South of here get hit, and we often only get 2 or 3 inches at the worst.

Edward

TzviYosef
12-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Actually North Carolina has the Apps to guard us as well, usually they do. This storm came right through the mountains and kept on trucking. Usually I can tell that we are going to get winter weather if Atlanta gets it also, but not in the case of this storm.

Luckily, I survived with my electricity, heat, and connectivity intact.

Of course, here in Charlotte we also have the worst damage we have seen since Hurricane Hugo came through in Sept 1989.

kidA
12-11-2002, 07:48 AM
how anyone could vote against salsa and tortilla chips is beyond me! :D

T-Will
12-11-2002, 08:03 AM
I picked "No heat, but plenty of electricity and connectivity"...you can always put on a warm sweatshirt or jacket right?

JonnoB
12-11-2002, 08:19 AM
I picked "No heat, but plenty of electricity and connectivity"...you can always put on a warm sweatshirt or jacket right?

or find other recreation type activities to keep you warm. :twisted:

Daniel
12-11-2002, 08:22 AM
my nipples poked through my golf shirt
Ok, can we agree that this comment was a case of waaaay too much information??!! Seriously, dude (too much SouthPark tonight), please refrain next time! ;)

Anyway, back to complaining about the cold at my house (it's 63 degrees right now, brrrrrrrr)
Ok, I'm sure that there are places colder than here but at at 34 degrees (that's 1 degree celcius for everyone with the sense to use metric! :P) NYC is a place colder than where you are! 63 (17C) degrees tomorrow would mean a short sleeve shirt at least! Maybe even shorts! :)

I picked cold with connectivity and electricity. I mean, I could just plug in a heater!?

Daniel

farnold
12-11-2002, 09:04 AM
What all that fuzz about no heat? Hey, I would love to have no heat down here :lol: We've got enough heat to burn the country... If you guys wanna get rid of some PM it down here please 8)

tccox
12-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Well since I live in Charlotte (Durham huh ? Must be a Dukie) It's sorta been a major news story here too. Got mine back in 22 hours so I was one of the lucky ones. My IPAQ and CF modem was a great combo to have while out of power. Just made the mistake of going to the mall while power was out, stopped by the Dell store and ended up ordering a new Axim....... :idea:

On a more serious note (And not really PPC related, I know) Hundreds of folks treated in Charlotte hospitals for carbon monoxide poisoning, several deaths. Folks, if you're ever without heat DO NOT bring your charcoal grill in your house for heat..........

Brad Adrian
12-11-2002, 02:27 PM
People, people, PEOPLE! Weren't you listening? I said I had absolutely NO CONNECTIVITY! No access to e-mail. No access to newsgroups. No access to Pocket PC Thoughts. I figured I could eventually eat again, but I missed some real flame opportunities in the newsgroups. :)

PhatCohiba
12-11-2002, 03:34 PM
People, people, PEOPLE! Weren't you listening? I said I had absolutely NO CONNECTIVITY! No access to e-mail. No access to newsgroups. No access to Pocket PC Thoughts. I figured I could eventually eat again, but I missed some real flame opportunities in the newsgroups. :)

I feel bad for you. The whole Slave vs Globalization debate was a doozy. Jason's new job. Everyone got in on that one.
WiFi as a terrorist tool. Man that was hot..

:twisted:

ECOslin
12-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

I think someone, likely a philosophical Roman (Titus Carus?) said it better.

Said something like, 'it's easy to look at other's troubles when you, yourself, are not affected by disaster.'

I could be wrong.

Edward

ECOslin
12-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Pleasant it is, when over the great sea the winds shake the waters,
To gaze down from shore on the trials of others;
Not because seeing other people struggle is sweet to us,
But because the fact that we ourselves are free from such ills strikes us as pleasant.
Pleasant it is also to behold great armies battling on a plain,
When we ourselves have no part in their peril.
But nothing is sweeter than to occupy a lofty sanctuary of the mind,
Well fortified with the teachings of the wise,
Where we may look down on others as they stumble along,
Vainly searching for the true path of life. . . . (2. 1-10)

This translation isn't the one that I liked.(mentioned something like, 'as if from a great tower), not exactly a humble one is he.

Education, foresight and planning means that you may not have to sleep on the dirt, suffer hunger or the cold(not always, but mostly). And have your Salsa and Tortilla chips too.

Edward

Brad Adrian
12-11-2002, 04:17 PM
...'it's easy to look at other's troubles when you, yourself, are not affected by disaster...'
I don't want to suddenly turn maudlin, but this experience WAS a real eye-opener. I found out just how impatient I could become when our power wasn't restored, and it was hard to keep from being resentful when someone else's was. The only thing that eased the anxiety was when people pitched in and did something to help someone else.

I found out that a little bit of human kindness (and a few tortilla chips) can go a long way.

puithove
12-11-2002, 07:42 PM
I would have gone for the last option if it had read "chip, salsa, and burbon (or some other form of warming alcohol)"

Pony99CA
12-12-2002, 04:52 PM
I would have gone for the last option if it had read "chip, salsa, and burbon (or some other form of warming alcohol)"
While alcohol makes you feel warm, I believe it actually lowers your body temperature. That's not a wise idea in the cold. :-)

Steve

delfuhd
04-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Well considering I work in an office in the basement where I live, and I don't like to waste fuel to turn the heat up, I end up freezing my butt off anyway :D so I'm used to it

yodacai
04-04-2003, 11:51 PM
I have to say, I would want the electricity and connectivity...don't care much about heat. Could be the location where I live though... :D

Video11
04-05-2003, 01:36 AM
I have to say, I would want the electricity and connectivity...don't care much about heat. Could be the location where I live though... :D
hmmm....yeah. I was in Kona in February. Temps 75F-80F when it was 0F-10F at home. The only people who went swimming were the tourists, to everyone else it was too cold. :roll:
It's all what you are used to. As happy as I was to get home, all in all I'd rather be back in Hawai'i. :D :D

edit...by the way, we are in the middle of a freezing rain storm here today. Hawai'i looks better all the time. :lol:

yodacai
04-05-2003, 02:07 AM
hmmm....yeah. I was in Kona in February. Temps 75F-80F when it was 0F-10F at home. The only people who went swimming were the tourists, to everyone else it was too cold. :roll:
It's all what you are used to. As happy as I was to get home, all in all I'd rather be back in Hawai'i. :D :D

edit...by the way, we are in the middle of a freezing rain storm here today. Hawai'i looks better all the time. :lol:

You are right about the only people that swim this time of year are typically the tourists and the hardcore surfers/sponge boarders. It is starting to warm back up during the day...enough to where you want to run the A/C. I am originally from Seattle, so I know about the freezing rain. Good Luck! :)