View Full Version : Dell Axim going where no PPC has gone before.

style26062
12-10-2002, 03:38 AM
I just ordered my Axim X5 400mhz last Friday. Thus taking my first steps towards becoming a PPC guru. PPC had always enticed me. I would often swoon over the latest devices with their pretty screens and killer apps. Finally I can play too!

I've been a Palm guy since I won a Palm V at a 3com training event a few years back. It's cool, but got boring quick. I support a bunch of dufus execs who love them so it was nice to know what is up with palm.

But now.... You can stick your Puny Palm Pilot Mr. VP! um sir...

Who else is buying their first PPC or PDA from Dell? :?:

And you PPC veterans where's the good stuff? I need benchmarks! (Something more comprehensive than what I've seen in the forums.)
I'm also interested in the performace of different brands SD/CF memory and periphrals. Do I have to study the datasheets or is there a site with the work done for you?

tnantz
12-10-2002, 03:55 AM
I got one, too. 400 Mhz as well.

This is my first PDA. I've always been a Dell laptop person, so I figured that I might as well keep with the same vein. Who knows, maybe next time I buy from them I get a free t-shirt! Haha.

So far, I love it. It has the functionality of the iPaq my friend has, AND it was 300 or so dollars cheaper. Oh yes... love rubbing that in to Mr. Fancy pants. lol.

ThomasC22
12-10-2002, 06:32 AM
It will be interested to see how you "new" Dell users fair. A lot of PPC enthusiasts have always argued that Palm is not easier to use, in fact, but simply seems that way because most people started out with it.

So, it's interesting that we now have an influx of new PDA users that started with a PocketPC...I'd like to test you all on a Palm in 6 months :D

Rirath
12-10-2002, 06:48 AM
And you PPC veterans where's the good stuff? I need benchmarks! (Something more comprehensive than what I've seen in the forums.)

A fair, request, but how do you propose we go about this? This isn't a video card, or a new CPU. Basically the Axim will run just about the same as any other 400mhz Xscale out there, which will run just about the same as any 300mhz Xscale out there, both of which will probably run about the same as any 200mhz ARM out there... which all means you're not gonna notice a big difference in anything at all. Some programs will run better than others, it's a case by case thing. The vast majority will run 98% the same. Comprehensive enough? :)

Now, to really notice a difference you'd have to be doing like me... going from a sub 100mhz Jornada 525 to a 400mhz Axim. :twisted: There's a nice speed boost for ya. I've went from 6 fps on Pocket TV to 24 fps. From 2-3 fps on large video with no landscape support, to 18 fps full screen landscape. I'm sure with time and tweaking I'll have that at 24 easily.

See, the big joy of the Axim is what it offers that so many others don't. Dual slots are a wonderful thing to people like me. The screen is lovely. The sound is crisp. The buttons, and this is a big one, support diagonal movement and multiple button presses at once. Hallelujah! (I'm confident the D-pad issues will be cleared up, fast.) They come with a 1yr VERY fast replacement warranty. That's unreal. Incredibly long battery power, higher ones to come, replacable battery, spare charging slot, coolest sync cradle ever... the list is huge. Toss in $40 worth of free software, (Rosco Picture Viewer and IA Presenter (Power Point viewer)) all for a price that's half of what the Ipaq owners paid. Tis a good time to be a PPC owner.

Fzara
12-10-2002, 01:51 PM
It will be interested to see how you "new" Dell users fair. A lot of PPC enthusiasts have always argued that Palm is not easier to use, in fact, but simply seems that way because most people started out with it.

So, it's interesting that we now have an influx of new PDA users that started with a PocketPC...I'd like to test you all on a Palm in 6 months :D

I dare you to test me out on a Palm. I'll probably do just as fine as I do right now in 6 months with adaptability to both platforms :lol:

style26062
12-10-2002, 04:19 PM
The vast majority will run 98% the same. Comprehensive enough?

What about periphrials? Is all Memory created equal? Aside from the SD/CF debate. I would assume if working with Video and mp3s memory speed becomes a factor.

What about WiFi cards. Should I spend the extra dough for the low power socket card? How much difference is there? I'm also into security and I've read the socket supports promiscous mode. Do any of the others?