View Full Version : Random User Survey #3

Jason Dunn
12-09-2002, 10:20 PM
In my continuing quest to get to understand you, my favourite Pocket PC Thoughts readers, I'd like to ask you if you're a "user" or a "developer". Notice I said "developer" not "professional developer" - I'm interested mostly in learning what percentage of you have an interest in developer items, products, etc.

dochall
12-09-2002, 10:32 PM
How about 'I could code applications but I really don't have the time, energy, inclination'.

Probably be interested in the items though.

anthonymoody
12-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Or this one:
I'd like to code but don't know how and would love to learn....
TM

entropy1980
12-09-2002, 10:37 PM
what about the only codes I know are for my Nintendo! :wink:

peterawest
12-09-2002, 10:38 PM
I don't code applications, but I do make lots of .Lit e-books for personal use. However, that's not even close to coding applications.

Bob S
12-09-2002, 10:47 PM
If only I could code, then I would make the KILLER APP that nobody seems to be able to come up with.

Now if only I new exactly what that was.

Chris Spera
12-09-2002, 10:53 PM
How about, "I'm not a Pocket PC Developer; but I play one TV..?"

No... ok. bummer. :lol:

djdj
12-09-2002, 11:00 PM
I would have voted "I can code for the PPC, but don't have a compelling project to justify the time" if it was an option.

Ed Hansberry
12-09-2002, 11:01 PM
sub EscapeWetBag()

dim oBag as Container
dim oSide as Walls
dim oDoor as Walls

For each oSide in oBag.Walls
if oSide.Walls = "Open" then oDoor=oSide.Walls
Next oSide

oDoor.Escape = True

End Sub

Pony99CA
12-09-2002, 11:13 PM
How about 'I could code applications but I really don't have the time, energy, inclination'.

Probably be interested in the items though.
I feel the same way. I have an interest in developer items, and have played around a bit with eMbedded Visual C++, but I haven't coded anything really. Therefore, I won't vote.

Well, I will vote -- for a new entry saying "I haven't written Pocket PC code, but am interested in developer items". :-)

Steve

vincentsiaw
12-09-2002, 11:18 PM
my vb is private limited, sometimes get stuck, anybody is an expert and willing to teach me ? 8O

FredMurphy
12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Will be coding for the Pocket PC once Visual Studio.NET 2003 is out of beta.....

eVB was useless
couldn't be bothered learning C++ just for the Pocket PC
haven't got a spare PC for beta work at the moment

Definitely interested in development articles. :)

Fred

Kathy_Harris
12-09-2002, 11:52 PM
How about "I'd code for personal stuff but EVB really sux so I haven't been successful"

Kirkaiya
12-09-2002, 11:59 PM
I voted yes, since I created a little 1-hours eVB program that, when run the 1st time, creates a pocket Access database (or if that database is missing, it recreates it), and has a little Form UI with some basic text fields, a drop-down list, and 2 buttons ("Submit", and "Cancel").

This was intended to serve the MSFT Marketing reps (they're a client) for gathering customer info at events (it saves the info to the pocket Access db)....

BUT, after I spent like, 3 hours downloading all the SDK, the emus, etc, and an hour writing the stupid thing, gave it to them.. they were like, "Oh - we decided to do something else completely", so it's never been used.

But hey, it worked!! So therefore, I voted yes!!! 8O (and since eVB is soooooo easy - and therefore makes big fat slow code - I encourage everybody else to play with it).

Hey - I think the results of this survey pretty much support the claim that PocketPCthoughts.com readers aren't really representative of the typical PDA user - I mean, what percent of total users actually develops anything for their PDA? (as opposed to the relatively high percentage here).

And this is my 100th post here, geesh... it was like, 6 months to get this far on the Buzz (prior to leaving) or Brighthand).

Kati Compton
12-10-2002, 12:01 AM
I don't know VB. Don't really want to learn it either.

I learned non-Windows C and C++. So learning to code in eVC has been hampered by not already having a basic understanding of How Things Work for windows programming. I'm getting the hang of MFC a bit, although I can't help thinking very loudly "I WANT IOSTREAM AND FSTREAM" for file access. I'd program in win32, but don't have the time to learn it when there's better help and code examples for MFC. Apart from the built-in help, I've been looking at CodeProject (http://www.codeproject.com) for examples and clues on using MFC controls. But there is some conflict between what full Windows supports and what CE supports and what Pocket PC supports.

pschultz
12-10-2002, 12:40 AM
sub EscapeWetBag()

dim oBag as Container
dim oSide as Walls
dim oDoor as Walls

Next oSide

oDoor.Escape = True

End Sub
huh :?:

Ed Hansberry
12-10-2002, 12:42 AM
huh :?:
programming myself out of a wet paper bag...... :razzing:

Jason Dunn
12-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Dang. I can't seem to design a survey that at least one person doesn't complain about...I give up. :lol:

Daniel
12-10-2002, 01:07 AM
programming myself out of a wet paper bag...... :razzing:

Ok, I know I'm not funny all the time but that was so not funny. Sorry Ed, each to their own mate.

Dang. I can't seem to design a survey that at least one person doesn't complain about...I give up. :lol:

Can anyone Jason? Remember the slashdot disclaimer that they put on all their surveys? Go check it out if you don't.

Daniel

Duncan
12-10-2002, 02:21 AM
Ed,

I laughed at your joke - but wasn't sure if I should admit to understanding it...I'm not a geek you know... I'M NOT!! :oops:

Rirath
12-10-2002, 02:35 AM
Will be coding for the Pocket PC once Visual Studio.NET 2003 is out of beta.....

eVB was useless
couldn't be bothered learning C++ just for the Pocket PC
haven't got a spare PC for beta work at the moment

Definitely interested in development articles.

Fred

My thoughts exactly. The 2k3 beta works ok, but I'm not going to put much effort into it until it's actually released.

Robert Levy
12-10-2002, 03:29 AM
The 2k3 beta works ok, but I'm not going to put much effort into it until it's actually released.

FYI, the Compact Framework as found in VS 2003 Final Beta is "RTM" and is the exact same as what will be included in the release version of VS 2003. There is no reason to wait if you can get your hands on the VS 2003 Final Beta.

Programmer
12-10-2002, 04:24 AM
With my screen name you can guess how I answered. :lol:

I am actually writing a .NET programming book and there is to be a section on Mobile developent with CF.

Robert

Rirath
12-10-2002, 02:30 PM
FYI, the Compact Framework as found in VS 2003 Final Beta is "RTM" and is the exact same as what will be included in the release version of VS 2003. There is no reason to wait if you can get your hands on the VS 2003 Final Beta

Ah... that's interesting. I've got the final beta still in the mailer unopened. :-/ Convinced myself to wait until I got the Axim, now I just haven't got around to it. :oops: Well, I'll give it a shot then. I seem to remember some big changes between the Visual Studio.NET final beta and the release of VS.NET though. Ah well, at any rate it'll help pass the time until release.

Daniel
12-10-2002, 02:38 PM
It's funny that over the last day the percentage has stayed the same even though the numbers have (obviously) gone up. Would seem to indicate a fairly normal spread of the 60/40 ratio.

Damn this sounds too much like maths...

Daniel

Kirkaiya
12-10-2002, 04:24 PM
FYI, the Compact Framework as found in VS 2003 Final Beta is "RTM" and is the exact same as what will be included in the release version of VS 2003. There is no reason to wait if you can get your hands on the VS 2003 Final Beta

Ah... that's interesting. I've got the final beta still in the mailer unopened. :-/ Convinced myself to wait until I got the Axim, now I just haven't got around to it. :oops: Well, I'll give it a shot then. I seem to remember some big changes between the Visual Studio.NET final beta and the release of VS.NET though. Ah well, at any rate it'll help pass the time until release.

While the IDE itself may undergo changes from the final Beta to the RTM, csc was correct - the Compact Framework itself is now final, and the version shipping with VS2k3 is RTM. The MSDN site mentions this somewhere, and one of the "mobility" TSs at Microsoft told me that also, when I was considering downloading the beta (from an internal server, I don't know if it's externally available).

Jonathon Watkins
12-10-2002, 08:50 PM
sub EscapeWetBag()

dim oBag as Container
dim oSide as Walls
dim oDoor as Walls

Next oSide

oDoor.Escape = True

End Sub

LOL :lol: - I have to say that I found this quite funny Ed. Then again - I'm not a coder. I black box test code for a living - I DON'T write it. :D

PHactotum
12-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Even though I voted that I couldn't eVB my way out of a wet paper bag, I would like to. I scanned and marked Microsofts eVB pages earlier this week.

The question is, what to write. Or is it, where will I find the time? :confused totally: hmmm

The Big Jay
12-11-2002, 10:01 PM
sub EscapeWetBag()

dim oBag as Container
dim oSide as Walls
dim oDoor as Walls

Next oSide

oDoor.Escape = True

End Sub

You forgot about the "floor" option, Ed ;)