View Full Version : Hark the Herald Angels Sing!

Jason Dunn
12-09-2002, 07:25 PM
And lo, through the clouds came a voice "I shall return thy XDA to thee and it shall haveth 128 megs of RAMeth. There shall be much rejoicing!" :lol: I just got it back moments ago, upgraded RAM courtesy of the fine folks at <a href="http://www.ppctechs.com/">Pocket PC Techs.</a> I feel like the right side of my brain was just returned to me. :P

Birdman
12-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Did you have a problem (i.e. additional costs) re: getting it back and forth across the border?

peterawest
12-09-2002, 08:01 PM
:lol: I just got it back moments ago, upgraded RAM courtesy of the fine folks at Pocket PC Techs. (http://www.ppctechs.com/) :P
I know how you feel. I'm still running my iPAQ 3630, since I had the RAM upgraded to 128MB by PPCTechs over a year ago. It's great!

Sven Johannsen
12-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Not quite clear on the concept. How is that additional RAM exhibited? Is it seen as a RAM disk, providing additional on-board storage? Or is it actually usable as program RAM and integrated into the overall OS memory management process? (Does the memory manager now say 128M divided between program and storage with the slider?)

Chris Spera
12-09-2002, 08:10 PM
I feel like the right side of my brain was just returned to me. :P

Boy, do I know that feeling!! I'd love to hear how everything works with the Phone side now that you have more RAM. Is phone performance any better??

Christopher Spera

robclif4d
12-09-2002, 08:19 PM
I sent my ipaq 3955 to PPC Techs just under 2 weeks ago and it's out on the FedEx truck for delivery. Took longer because of the holiday. Can't wait to see how it runs. Thought I read on their site that the PPC Techs think their memory/driver combo runs faster than the standard memory the ipaq came with. Hurry up and deliver it. Tough going without it for almost 2 weeks.

Rob

Janak Parekh
12-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Not quite clear on the concept. How is that additional RAM exhibited? Is it seen as a RAM disk, providing additional on-board storage? Or is it actually usable as program RAM and integrated into the overall OS memory management process? (Does the memory manager now say 128M divided between program and storage with the slider?)
64MB is in the OS, 64MB is a special flash-like disk (looks like a storage card to the OS).

--bdj

peterawest
12-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Not quite clear on the concept. How is that additional RAM exhibited?
Since the OS can only see 64MB, they wrote a small driver that is installed on the Pocket PC and makes the OS believe there is a memory card installed.

I don't know if it's true, but to me the response seems much quicker than a memory card.

dazz
12-09-2002, 08:34 PM
I'd love to hear how everything works with the Phone side now that you have more RAM. Is phone performance any better??

Yes Chris, performance is much better. Everyone that calls now speaks much quicker and get's right to the point. :lol:

[Sorry, couldn't resist]

dazz

revolution.cx
12-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Since the OS can only see 64MB, they wrote a small driver that is installed on the Pocket PC and makes the OS believe there is a memory card installed.

I don't know if it's true, but to me the response seems much quicker than a memory card.

It should be because that 64MB disk is RAM, which is fast, compared to the Flash RAM of a storage card which is painfully slow in comparison.

revolution.cx
12-09-2002, 08:44 PM

It should be because that 64MB disk is RAM, which is fast, compared to the Flash RAM of a storage card which is painfully slow in comparison.

Can one of you do me a favor and tell me the name of that storage is in explorer? Is it "Storage Card"?

Gerard
12-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Well, that's encouraging! I'm shipping my 3835 off to Leonard this afternoon for a microphone jack mod. It's to act as a phone/VoIP headphone-mic jack as well, and also still feed to stereo headphones. I'm feeling a bit nervous about the US border, but FedEx should get it there quickly enough I suppose. And if they managed Calgary, surely they won't mess up Vancouver, right?

Chris Spera
12-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Yes Chris, performance is much better. Everyone that calls now speaks much quicker and get's right to the point. :lol:

[Sorry, couldn't resist]

dazz

Cool. This means that you can talk twice as long or use half as many minutes!! :roll:

Uh-huh...

Seriously, I was curious 'cause I don't have an XDA, and won't get one, as I just got a new phone less than a year ago. I am also too used to the iPAQ paradigm and don't WANT to change it, especially with the 545x coming out from hp. I have too many expansion sleeves, and want to be able to use them for a while...

Chris

Sven Johannsen
12-09-2002, 08:49 PM
OK. Certainly adds some valuable input to a "Do I add a 64M Ram Disk to my Jornada, or buy a whole Dell" deciision. Same price :?

Chris Spera
12-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Can one of you do me a favor and tell me the name of that storage is in explorer? Is it "Storage Card"?

I've used this driver on a non-native RAM upgrade done by PPCTechs. The storage comes pre-named as T2TDisk. The nice thing about the utility that comes with the driver is that you can format/ rename the storage volume to anything you want. So yes, it can be named "Storage Card," or anything else you want.

Christopher Spera

that_kid
12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
I've read that with the xda and ipaq 3970's that the os will show the whole 128 megs or ram. I'm really thinking of doing this myself, the only thing holding me back is the 5450. If I do get the 5450 I will have that upgraded to 128 megs of ram :D

fmcpherson
12-10-2002, 12:52 AM
To my knowledge PPCTechs has only been able to get the 3900 iPAQs to recognize the entire 128 MB of RAM.

ECOslin
12-10-2002, 02:17 AM
I'm not that attached to my Maestro, instead of an upgrade, I'd go for the whole new unit.

Edward