View Full Version : What CF Sleeve do you use?

PhatCohiba
12-09-2002, 02:19 PM
I have the old $40 compaq fat sleeve, and its getting old. With all of the cool new sleeves and cf sleeves / cases I can't decide.

Please let me know what you're using and why you like it or not.

Thanks in advance.

-John

don dre
12-09-2002, 03:26 PM
I have the CF plus. I love the fact that it uses the cover pack and has an extra battery which effectively doubles the battery life. However, b/c of the battery it is a bit thicker than some others, like the SS2 from PDAmotion. If size is of utmost importance I would go with that one. If battery power, say for a Wifi card, is important, then I would go with the CF plus. There is also memplug's dual CF. It is really dependent on your needs. Whatever you do, do not get one taht requires a case on top of the sleeve. even memplug's allows yuo to use the coverpaq's screen cover.

Janak Parekh
12-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Another vote for the CF+ pack. While it isn't as cool as the dual-CF sleeves, it has the removable battery and remains quite thin as it has the hard cover if you want to use it. Moreover, you can remove the battery and replace it with just a cover, which makes it amongst the thinnest sleeves available. I like the battery, though, keeps my Microdrive power usage from draining the internal battery.

If you want the leather case, though, go with Whitney (www.madebywhitney.com). His cases are of the finest work. :)

--bdj

ipaq adam
12-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Another CF+ vote from me! It makes the device a bit bigger, but the battery life is amazing. I used to have to charge the 3670 at work, or risk not making it through the day. Now I just plug the thing in at night and live a life battery-warning free!

I only stick memory cards into the thing. For something more battery-intense, like WiFi, I'd get the double-capacity battery they offer.

Janak Parekh
12-09-2002, 05:58 PM
I only stick memory cards into the thing. For something more battery-intense, like WiFi, I'd get the double-capacity battery they offer.
Well, it depends on how much you're using the WiFi. The Symbol/Socket card is quite battery-friendly, and I can get 2-3 hours of surfing without denting the main 3870 battery heavily (although the CF+'s battery is basically dead at that point, it'll just shut off and drain from the 3870).

--bdj

PhatCohiba
12-10-2002, 03:45 AM
anybody use more then one sleeve?

I was thinking I could convert my current card to a SS2 from the kit at pdamotion and get the CF+ or the 2 CF sleeve. Can you have 3 memory cards or 2 memory and 1 wi fi at the same time?

Janak Parekh
12-10-2002, 05:33 AM

I was thinking I could convert my current card to a SS2 from the kit at pdamotion and get the CF+ or the 2 CF sleeve. Can you have 3 memory cards or 2 memory and 1 wi fi at the same time?
Huh!? You can't attach more than one sleeve at a time to the PPC. That said, with the dual CF or PC sleeve and a 3800/3900/5400 unit you can get 3 cards (SD, CF1, CF2).

I do happen to own an original CF, a SS2, a CF+, and a PC sleeve. I only use the latter two anymore, and of those two I use the CF+ 95% of the time. I'm tempted to get the dual CF sleeve when I get the 5450, but with the integrated Wi-Fi it isn't really necessary.

--bdj

PhatCohiba
12-10-2002, 04:09 PM

Huh!? You can't attach more than one sleeve at a time to the PPC.
--bdj

Thanks, I should have said:

Anyone own more then one sleeve, how do you use your multiple sleeves?

The SS2 Leather DIY kit for $35 PDA Motion non-affilate link (how do I correct?) (http://www.pdamotion.com/eshop/store-detail.asp?categoryID=200209102315014&subcategoryID=1&subcategory=&txtPicName=product%2Dna%2Egif)

looks like a great small stand alone case. Then I can use my drop tolerant zip around case for the CF +.
I agree BDJ that the the dual cf looks cool. I wish the nexian wasn't so thick, dual cf and a battery. but its thicker then 2 ipaqs?

Is it true that the CF + is much thicker (35.5 mm vs. 27mm) then the original cf sleeve?

Janak Parekh
12-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Anyone own more then one sleeve, how do you use your multiple sleeves?
Ah, better :) I keep one on my iPaq, the rest stay in a drawer. :)

looks like a great small stand alone case. Then I can use my drop tolerant zip around case for the CF +.
Yes, you can, but why would you get the CF+ then? Do you want the 2nd battery?

I agree BDJ that the the dual cf looks cool. I wish the nexian wasn't so thick, dual cf and a battery. but its thicker then 2 ipaqs?
Actually, I was thinking of the Portable Innovation battery-less solution: http://www.pitech.com/hardware/iCFCF/ipCFCF_index.htm

Is it true that the CF + is much thicker (35.5 mm vs. 27mm) then the original cf sleeve?
It's not thicker from a perception standpoint, especially if you have the battery out (in which case parts of it are thinner). With the hard cover, it's the thinnest CF solution one can buy, AFAICT.

--bdj