View Full Version : Dude! I'm going to get a DELL!

VidGameKing
12-09-2002, 08:46 AM
well, I've spent most of my younger years as a total PalmOS freek, you know always dissing Pocket PC, and CE. But now, I'm 20 years old, and I want more than what Palm can provide me, like with that Clie thing from sony and the new Tungsten-T thing from palm are getting "closer" but still not what it is that i want. basicly this is what i want.

I own a HP digital camera, it uses CF cards to store the pics on, I want to take out the CF card from the camera, and stick it into a handheld unit and mess with the pictures, also maybe add titles, and notes to them. also I want to stick onto that same CF card, a voice recording, a written letter, and maybe a program or two that i got from the internet or somthing and i want to be able to ship that CF card someplace with all the data on it.

Right now i cant do that with PalmOS. but I can with Pocket PC, for years I figured that Pocket PC was too expensive, but what with the new Axim and all Pocket PC is now within my spending limits. so...

I want to buy a X5 with the 400Mhz processor. but there are some things I'd like to know first.

namely;

will a host USB adaptor be made for it so i can use a USB keyboard, or other thing with it?

Is there a CF card that will do the above mentioned task?

can I print from pocket word to a IrDa enabled printer?

how good is the hand writing recignition on it? better or worse than Grafitti?

what are some realy "cool" things I can do on a Pocket PC?

is the screen on the X5 better or worse than the Ipaq's?

where can i find a online retailer that sells Pocket PC add on cards like a CF modem or SD bluetooth, ect... but has a REALLY complete stock!

anyways it's sort of late at night so thats all I can think of, so let me know some of the answers to my questions, I would really appreciate that. thanks for reading my eccesivly long post!

Rirath
12-09-2002, 11:04 AM
is the screen on the X5 better or worse than the Ipaq's?

There are many threads on these topics. Look in Just Chatting, and the Dell forum.

VidGameKing
12-09-2002, 05:54 PM
wow thats crazy!!! 185 veiws yet only one post! and hey there are some other questions there that aren't asked elsewhere!

Sslixtis
12-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Ok lets see,

VidGameKingI own a HP digital camera, it uses CF cards to store the pics on, I want to take out the CF card from the camera, and stick it into a handheld unit and mess with the pictures, also maybe add titles, and notes to them. also I want to stick onto that same CF card, a voice recording, a written letter, and maybe a program or two that i got from the internet or somthing and i want to be able to ship that CF card someplace with all the data on it. Yep can do, as long as the USPS doesn't irradiate it to ensure it has no anthrax :(

will a host USB adaptor be made for it so i can use a USB keyboard, or other thing with it? Got me, let's hope so :wink:

can I print from pocket word to a IrDa enabled printer? Again, got me, lets hope so. I'm sure someone has the answer to this.

how good is the hand writing recignition on it? better or worse than Grafitti? Pretty good actually, you have Block Recognizer, Letter Recognizer and Transcriber which is Grafitti like. So you have some options here.

Not eve going there, it is subjective and there are tons :lol:

is the screen on the X5 better or worse than the Ipaq's? Honestly, the screen is not quite as good as the 39xx series iPaq, slightly smaller, and slightly less bright. That said, it is much better than any other PPC screen out right now with maybe the exception of the Viewsonic V35 which I have yet to see 8O

where can i find a online retailer that sells Pocket PC add on cards like a CF modem or SD bluetooth, ect... but has a REALLY complete stock! That really depends, if money is no object your options open up a bit, I however usually rely on techbargains.com search feature and there is also a nice search feature here at Pocket PC Thoughts as well

Hope some of this helps,

Cheers!

jdavis
12-09-2002, 07:57 PM
i bought a toshiba e335 at best buy(upgrading my palm m100 :P) It's still in the box, after I heard about the dell. The 335 doesn't have compact flash like i would like and some other things. i'd really be interested in the usb adapter situation as well. but to answer at least two of your questions, i know that the screen on the axim is very bright and clear, and you can do loads of things on your ppc that you cant do on the palm. you can use wi-fi or ethernet adapters, watch movies, play mp3's, have a decent color screen, have total ram expandability, and play some really cool games. Not to mention use ms word and outlook like on the palm. though it seems kinda bulky, with these features, i think when i get my dell i'll be real happy with it

othell
12-09-2002, 08:05 PM
where can i find a online retailer that sells Pocket PC add on cards like a CF modem or SD bluetooth, ect... but has a REALLY complete stock!

The Axim does not support SDIO... so SD bluetooth or other add-on cards that are anything but storage space will most likely not work. The CF slot is the only way to get more usability out of the Axim other than memory expansion.

Sslixtis
12-09-2002, 08:20 PM
othellThe Axim does not support SDIO... so SD bluetooth or other add-on cards that are anything but storage space will most likely not work. The CF slot is the only way to get more usability out of the Axim other than memory expansion.

Good catch, I must have mentally blocked the SD Bluetooth thing right out :? I am so over Bluetooth.

Memory for the SD slot, devices/memory for the CF slot. Sorry about that!

Cheers!

Sven Johannsen
12-09-2002, 08:31 PM
can I print from pocket word to a IrDa enabled printer? Yes with third party add-ons. HP just released a free way to accomplish this. There are others.

how good is the hand writing recignition on it? better or worse than Grafitti?

Pretty good actually, you have Block Recognizer, Letter Recognizer and Transcriber which is Grafitti like. So you have some options here.

ARRG, Graffitti is not Handwriting recognition. Check out your local grade school and see if they are teaching kids to write Graffitti. Transcriber is HWR, Calligrapher is better IMHO. Block Recognizer is Graffitti for the benefit of those previously so handicapped :)

Sslixtis
12-09-2002, 08:42 PM
SvenARRG, Graffitti is not Handwriting recognition. Check out your local grade school and see if they are teaching kids to write Graffitti. Transcriber is HWR, Calligrapher is better IMHO. Block Recognizer is Graffitti for the benefit of those previously so handicapped

Well, he did say he was coming over from Palm after all :wink:
Personally I'm a hunt and peck person, I use the keyboard :lol: Thanks to work, I'm getting pretty good with Thumb typing so the snap-on keyboard is the way to go for me. I can hardly read my own writing much less expect some poor machine or another person to read it :oops:

Cheers!

enemy2k2
12-09-2002, 08:45 PM
http://www.netac.com/products/View.asp?CodeNo=00000008

For a compact flash mini usb port solution.

For things that you can do with a PPC, just surf for software, there's lots of amazing things available.

I ordered a Dell myself (300Mhz) hopefully it will arrive today, but probably tomorrow :(

tccox
12-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Cannot speak for the comparison to the IPAQ 3900 series screen. but it is MANY times better that the screen on my IPAQ 3835. Much brighter and colors are much improved. The screen along convinced me to put the ol IPAQ on E-bay and order a new Axim......