View Full Version : WiFi for Toshiba e740

leieri
12-09-2002, 12:43 AM
I've successfully connected with my college's ethernet, or whatever they call it, with my pocket pc, but I can't access secure sites, such as my yahoo mail account. Anyone know of any patches or maybe just options I need to change to do this?

mashtim
12-09-2002, 11:44 PM
If you are using an e740 with the updated ROM, no, sorry, I can't help.

If you are still using the old ROM, you need to install the High-Encryption Pack which should still be available on MS's PocketPC.com site.

The updated ROM fixes this problem, along with many other issues ( most notably, the video issues, which now pretty much rock!)

leieri
12-10-2002, 01:06 AM
I just bought the e740 about a month ago, so I assumed it was wholly up to date, but apparentley it may not be. How can I get the New ROM if I have the Old, and how can I tell which I have? I've got the video problem as well.

mashtim
12-10-2002, 06:37 PM
A link to EUU3 (End User Update 3) can be found at:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4818&highlight=euu3

As far as whether or not your PPC is running the latest ROM, there are a few ways to tell (i.e. if it is in the "recall range" from a month or two ago, if you are running WMP 8.5 or not, etc), but my not-so-educated guess would be that if you are having problems getting into Hotmail or Yahoo, you are running the old ROM.

Just follow the link above and you should have the new ROM installed in no time! The only thing to remember is that you'll probably be better off upgrading and rebuilding your PPC from scratch (as opposed to restoring a backup), since you will have updated drivers and whatnot.

leieri
12-10-2002, 10:24 PM
Hey, thanks a lot for your help. My Pocket PC is, in fact, among those recalled. I haven't sent it in yet because I've been using it and figured I could do that over Christmas break. Will the adjustments they make fix my problems?

mashtim
12-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Yes, you will no longer need the High Encryption Pack, your video will run many many many times faster and all sorts of good things will happen to your PPC.
Their turnaround time is also fantastic, so don't worry too much about downtime.