View Full Version : Feds Label Wi-Fi a Terrorist Tool

Stik
12-08-2002, 02:08 PM
SANTA CLARA, California -- Attention, Wi-Fi users: The Department of Homeland Security sees wireless networking technology as a terrorist threat.

That was the message from experts who participated in working groups under federal cybersecurity czar Richard Clarke and shared what they learned at this week's 802.11 Planet conference. Wi-Fi manufacturers, as well as home and office users, face a clear choice, they said: Secure yourselves or be regulated.
http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html

jet8810
12-08-2002, 05:46 PM
so if I don't set up WEP then the government can and will spy on me? My wifi doesnt even reach the road from my house though (on an acre of property) so this wont be an issue, but ill set up WEP anyway :).

JvanEkris
12-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Next thing they will do is check the physical security of every hard ethernet connection in the world.

Like a co-worker of me once noticed: it is easier to plug into a companies network by bringing your own ethernet cable and plugging it in (network connections are everywere in modern buildings), then go in wireless at an office. This is outright paranoia.

If you have data worth protecting: protect it where it is stored. Use user-level security on your server, use file-logging on your system. Make people aware of the fact that WiFi could leak. People have their own responsibility (at least in Europe), let them take it or let them face the consequences of their own doing. If you want your market analysis of your competitor on the street: it's your problem not mine, and certainly not of a government.

Jaap