View Full Version : I'm switching to PocketPC from Palm and I need help.

jeasher
12-06-2002, 06:26 AM
First of all, is there a way to transfer my info from the Palm Desktop to Outlook? Also, is there any killer software out there I should look in to? Thanks for your help, this site has been one of my favorites.

Jorgen
12-06-2002, 08:31 AM
PocketMirror will do the trick. If you have a 500 series, you can find it on the CD. Otherwise, find it on the Internet.

It works very well, except for your memoes: you end up with a file for each in the My Documents directory and as far as I know, you cannot move them away.

Jorgen

Janak Parekh
12-06-2002, 03:27 PM
PocketMirror will do the trick. If you have a 500 series, you can find it on the CD. Otherwise, find it on the Internet.
It's also on most of the older units' CD's.

www.chapura.com is the site for Pocket Mirror, but if you don't have it, you might want to borrow it from a friend - it's a little too expensive for doing a one-time sync. (Not sure about the legalities, you'll have to check on that.)

--bdj

capsfan
12-06-2002, 07:22 PM
To move from Palm Desktop to Outlook (so that you can use a Pocket PC) follow these steps. This assumes that you have a palm device and are not just using the Palm Desktop by itself...
1. Perform a hotsync and then copy the entire <username> directory. This is incase something goes wrong.
2. Download the latest version of palm desktop
3. Uninstall the old version
4. Install new version of Palm Desktop and choose to sync to Outlook
5. Sync your palm & you are all set.

This worked for me & its free and legal! (I replaced my handspring visor with a Dell Axim this way)

The biggest problem with this method (and PocketPC in general) is that all of your private records are now public. If anyone knows how to make some data private, let me know...

dazz
12-06-2002, 07:52 PM
I think you can make your info private by creating a category "Private" on the PocketPC and configure Activesync to only sync the other categories.

I tried it and it seems to work.

If you want to keep files private just store them in any directory not in the "My Documents" folder on the PocketPC.

dazz

jeasher
12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Hey Caps, how do I post to OUtlook? Thanks.

jmarkevich
12-09-2002, 09:11 PM
For contacts, and memos I just exported to CSV and imported. For calendar, you can use Yahoo's online calendar... it will take an upload of a Palm date book file and you can download a CSV, which will import nicely into Outlook.

You may want to delete your info off the public calendar too.

jeasher
12-12-2002, 04:38 AM
My Outlook 2000 won't import the CSV file properly. It gives me some error message about not being compatible.

capsfan
12-12-2002, 06:41 AM
I found that exporting and importing via .CSV didn't work very well, so I used the Palm itself as the PDA. By installing a new version of palm desktop from handspring, I had the ability to work with outlook automatically...

jeasher
12-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Caps, I downloaded the Desktop 4.1 and I'm working with that now but I still don't know how to sync with Outlook, I just can't figure it out. Any ideas?

JohnnyFlash
12-19-2002, 01:39 PM
To move from Palm Desktop to Outlook (so that you can use a Pocket PC) follow these steps. This assumes that you have a palm device and are not just using the Palm Desktop by itself...
1. Perform a hotsync and then copy the entire <username> directory. This is incase something goes wrong.
2. Download the latest version of palm desktop
3. Uninstall the old version
4. Install new version of Palm Desktop and choose to sync to Outlook
5. Sync your palm & you are all set.

This worked for me & its free and legal! (I replaced my handspring visor with a Dell Axim this way)

The biggest problem with this method (and PocketPC in general) is that all of your private records are now public. If anyone knows how to make some data private, let me know...

Hi,
I've used this method to get my Palm info into outlook, but have two problems with it:
1) The hierarchy of the notes & contacts has been lost - e.g. I had various categories of contacts and I assumed that outlook would create a folder for each of these. It didn't, it just put all the contacts in a single top level folder. The same happened with my tasks.
2) What I sync my XDA with outlook, the tasks aren't copied across, even though I have the relevant box checked.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Muddy.

JohnnyFlash
12-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Hello, I am also going from handspring to axim. I love the axim but I am so used to the palm format. Any suggestions or pointers you can give me I would appreciate it.

please also respond to my email at

[email protected]
thanks

kevin

Fzara
12-21-2002, 09:45 PM
I had a dream last night I was telling someone how easy PPC2002 is after switching from Palm OS.

The only thing you need to be wary of is the memos. Memos from the Palm OS dont get transferred to Outlook, and therefore, you will lose ALL your memos when you go to your Axim.

btw: if you're buying the Axim, buy the high capacity battery as well :D

Janak Parekh
12-21-2002, 10:44 PM
The only thing you need to be wary of is the memos. Memos from the Palm OS dont get transferred to Outlook, and therefore, you will lose ALL your memos when you go to your Axim.
Are you sure about this? I haven't used the PocketMirror app that came with Palm Desktop 4.1, but I did use the earlier versions, and I've transferred notes without problems. Unless I'm insane... :?

--janak

Steven Cedrone
12-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Are you sure about this? I haven't used the PocketMirror app that came with Palm Desktop 4.1, but I did use the earlier versions, and I've transferred notes without problems. Unless I'm insane... :?

--janak

I don't think your insane. :wink: When I used PocketMirror to sync my Palm to outlook, all memos sync'ed fine...

You will lose the catagories you have them sorted by though...

Steve