View Full Version : Axim Activesync problems

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Is anyone having problems with their Axim and Activesync? I am getting very frustrated. I have an iPAQ and I had a HP 548, so I'm not new to Activesync, but until now I have been lucky enough to never have sync problems. Not the case with my Dell. The first sync hung and never completed. I disconnected everything and soft reset the device and tried again. This time the connection wizard started and I was able to sync. But about 1/2 way through the Avantgo update/install, my sync connection dropped on my device, but Activesync acted like my device was still connected. About 1-2 minutes later, Activesync realized that my device was no longer connected. Again, I soft reset.... Same problem. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Activesync. Same problem. Then I hard reset my device and again uninstalled and reinstalled Activesync. Now I can connect and sync (although I haven't tried Avantgo again, yet), but my sync connection gets dropped by the device periodically, especially if I try to load any software on the device. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening? I've tried the Activesync troubleshooter (this morning) but it was "down" on the Microsoft website. I searched the MS knowledge base and got on hit on a dropped connection from the device - followed directions to get into task manager and end wcemgr.exe (or something like that file) along with wcesvc? (blah - I'm at work now and can't remember the exact file name). Did this and another soft reset - thought it helped but then go another dropped connection.

So - is it Activesync - the Dell - the cable? I'm running XP at home on a 6 month old Dell 8100. I was going to call Dell, but thought I'd check here to see if there were any thoughts from some of you experts here!

Thanks!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sven Johannsen
12-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Gotta ask if you are installing (re-installing) AS from the Dell distribution CD. I expect that is the only place the right drivers are for the Axim. Only reason I ask is that there have been some reports of problems, but mostly with folks that had AS already installed, or had AS 3.6 already.

Steven Cedrone
12-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Is the sync cradle/cable connected to a hub? Have you tried connecting directly to a USB port on the PC. Just throwing out some things for you to look at...

Steve

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Actually, at first I tried to sync with my current version of Activesync. Stupid mistake, I know. Then I reinstalled from the Dell CD. And again after a hard reset.

And I am not connected via a hub, but directly to a PC USB port. I got the USB sync cable option, rather than the cradle.

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 04:28 PM
And, hey, everyone - I appreciate all responses. Don't be afraid to ask me if I did something stupid. :oops:

Sven Johannsen
12-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Don't be worried about doing something stupid. The fault here is with the OEMs, MS included. It is well known that their download of AS 3.6 is short on device drivers. (So if you are building a new machine and download 3.6 as the initial install, it likely won't detect your device, starting a string of difficulties).

Not sure if there is a tried and true method for getting a new installation of AS with OEM specific drivers to load over an existing installation. Especially if the existing installation is at a higher rev. Guess I'll be finding this out since my machines both have AS 3.6 on them and it sounds like the Axim ships with 3.5.

This is certainly an area that should have been tested and detailed instructions and hints provided with the PPC. Any of them. Seems the OEMs assume theirs is the first and only PPC a consumer owns.

Janak Parekh
12-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Don't be worried about doing something stupid. The fault here is with the OEMs, MS included. It is well known that their download of AS 3.6 is short on device drivers. (So if you are building a new machine and download 3.6 as the initial install, it likely won't detect your device, starting a string of difficulties).
I'm not sure this is not his problem, as it fails midway--the device is detected, starts syncing, but later drops the connection.

Good luck--I hope it's not an incompatibility between your USB chipset and the computer. Do you have another machine to test it on?

--bdj

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 04:54 PM
No, I don't have another machine to test. We're "not allowed" to sync anything but Palm M130s at work - a whole other rant I'll try not to get started on.... Well, actually I have my daughter's 333 mhz Compaq running Windows 95...does Activesync 3.5 run on Windows 95?

USB chipsets? Way over my head. But since I'm syncing a Dell Axim with a pretty recent Dell Dimension - I certainly hope this isn't the issue!

Janak Parekh
12-05-2002, 05:24 PM
No, I don't have another machine to test. We're "not allowed" to sync anything but Palm M130s at work - a whole other rant I'll try not to get started on.... Well, actually I have my daughter's 333 mhz Compaq running Windows 95...does Activesync 3.5 run on Windows 95?
No :(

USB chipsets? Way over my head. But since I'm syncing a Dell Axim with a pretty recent Dell Dimension - I certainly hope this isn't the issue!
Hmm... since it's Dell end-to-end... you might want to call them up and see if they have a clue. They may not, though, since this is such a new device..

--bdj

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Spoke to John at Dell. He seemed somewhat knowledgeable and advised the following solution. I won't be able to try this until this evening, but someone advised privately that they were having the same problem. I agreed to post the solution to the forum. I'll let ya know if it works after I try it tonight. :wink: Basically I was told to delete all USB devices from the device manager and to reinstall Activesync.

Specific directions by the tech:
Go to Start menu
Right click on my computer
Select properties
Hardware tab
Device manager
Click on + by USB devices
Delete "all" of them
If prompted that shared dlls are no longer needed by windows, do not remove dlls
Restart system
Reinstall Activesync from the Dell CD :D
Connect sync cable at prompt
All should be well....we'll see

Then I have to reinstall my other USB devices...digital camera, scanner, card reader.... Don't you think I could just delete the Axim? And maybe my iPAQ if I can't tell which is which?

Rirath
12-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Click on + by USB devices
Delete "all" of them
If prompted that shared dlls are no longer needed by windows, do not remove dlls
Restart system

Don't see why on earth you'd have to delete em all. Just look for the Axim or any Unknown Devices.

Having my own ActiveSync troubles sadly... I stupidly installed the Outlook 2000 app in my rush to try the device, even though I have Office XP. It seems to have killed my Outlook. >_< Ah well.

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Being that I only work 5 minutes from my house, I went home at lunch to try the solution recommended by Dell. It was not successful. My connection was dropped during sync of Avantgo. I called Dell back and spoke to someone who proceed to read from a script and explain exactly how to uninstall and reinstall Activesync. I tried my hardest to be patient, but it was difficult. She also told me to install Outlook 2000 even though I'm running 2002. Didn't someone say a bit ago that this wiped their Outlook data? Other suggestions were to make sure my external power cable was connected during sync :roll: I did know that much, believe it or not. Also she advised that the "turn off device if not used for..." on external power should not be checked. (I had found that item earlier and it wasn't checked, anyway.)

Anyway, after I explained a little further, she told me that it wasn't a device issue and that I needed to contact Avantgo because this was not a supported application and the problem was on the Avantgo side. I explained that 3rd party software installation would also break the Activesync connection. Of course, I should contact the 3rd party vendor. I asked to speak to a supervisor - she "didn't have one." After a little "kind" pressure, she put me on hold again. (I'd been on the line for 45 minutes). She took my phone number and said that her supervisor would call me in 1 hour.

Anyone wanna buy a Dell? I'm about to ask for a return auth number.

Steven Cedrone
12-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Hmmm...

O.K., try this: remove ActiveSync - add/remove programs. Then follow this procedure to make sure it is all gone:

CEWindows.net - Removing ActiveSync 3.X (http://www.cewindows.net/wce/activesync3.1remove.htm)

Then reinstall ActiveSync using Dell disk...

Then follow the directions for syncing your Dell for the first time...

Let us know how you make out...

Steve

Rirath
12-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Anyway, after I explained a little further, she told me that it wasn't a device issue and that I needed to contact Avantgo because this was not a supported application and the problem was on the Avantgo side.

Just sounds like an ActiveSync problem, not a device or Avantgo problem. Sorry you're having trouble, but don't blame the device.

Kati Compton
12-06-2002, 02:10 AM
Just sounds like an ActiveSync problem, not a device or Avantgo problem. Sorry you're having trouble, but don't blame the device.

Sounds to me like he's blaming customer service for being unhelpful, which seems like a reasonable target to me. Unfortunately, tech support isn't always helpful everywhere....

Janak Parekh
12-06-2002, 03:41 AM
Sorry to hear tech support wasn't so simple. I'm not surprised, though. I think he suggested you delete all the USB devices to reinstall the USB chipset drivers in the first place.

Before you totally give up, one more thing: do you have a friend whose computer you can test this against?

Re AvantGo: I'd assume the connection is dropping at that time because it's the most intensive part of the transfer... not because of AvantGo itself...

--bdj

Sunnyone
12-06-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone. Sorry to say, nothing has helped so far.

I've tried to manually delete Activesync, but that didn't work.

It seems like the connection is timing out. The connection lasts for around five minutes then drops on the Axim side. As of 5 minutes ago, the Axim dropped and right now Activesync is still spinning. I've also unchecked boxes with regard to sync with server every 5 minutes, thinking this interfered somehow. That didn't help either. I'd like to try to sync with another PC as suggested by BigDaddyJ. I'll see what I can do about that today.

Are there other Axim users out there able to sync with Avantgo?

Janak Parekh
12-06-2002, 03:20 PM
I've also unchecked boxes with regard to sync with server every 5 minutes, thinking this interfered somehow. That didn't help either.
Nah, that's definitely not it, although it's a good thing to do as it will prevent your Axim from turning on when it shouldn't.

Well, good luck. Maybe you should demand an upgraded computer from Dell that actually works with the Axim ;)

--bdj

dr_doak
12-06-2002, 08:47 PM
I saw that you have a digital camera... How long does it normally take to do a data transfer from that? In other words, does your computer just drop off USB connections after so much activity? I've seen Win98 do this before, but not XP; not that that necessarily means anything. Trying other devices with a good amount of data transfer should help to (hopefully) rule this out.

You've also tried any other USB ports?

One last thing: it probably doesn't matter too much, if at all, but have you flashed your BIOS lately? I've seen really freaky problems in computers get solved this way before without a good explanation :roll:

Good luck!

husky99
12-06-2002, 10:17 PM
I was trying to transfer some large files (pocket quake) and the sync disconnects. A work around is to sync files. Just select Tools -> Options -> Files in ActiveSync and this will set up the folder structure of the Axim where your personal files are located. Then just add any files you want placed on the ppc and they will transfer. At least this worked for me as a work around. My problems were (and still) on a Win2K Dell machine at work. When I return home tonight I will try and set up my Win98 machine, which was working perfectly syncing with my returned e740. :roll:

GoldKey
12-06-2002, 10:29 PM
I made this suggestion to Sunnyone in a private message, but wanted to post it here as well.

I use to have a problem maintaining a connection with my Ipaq. It turned out that if I plugged it into a USB hub, it could not maintain a reliable connection even though none of the other items plugged into it had a problem. Switching plugs in the hub and using a different hub did not help. However, if I plugged it straight into the PC's usb, then the problem went away. So, try that. Sunny was going to try that when he got home, hopefully he will post here if that helped.

husky99
12-06-2002, 10:42 PM
When I try to move the files by the click and drag method and it fails. There is a file that stays around composed of the data that had transfered placed in the temp directory on the ppc. The files are like _PegFilt~7638673.tmp for a name. Be sure to clean these out.

Steven Cedrone
12-07-2002, 09:04 AM
I made this suggestion to Sunnyone in a private message, but wanted to post it here as well.

I use to have a problem maintaining a connection with my Ipaq. It turned out that if I plugged it into a USB hub, it could not maintain a reliable connection even though none of the other items plugged into it had a problem. Switching plugs in the hub and using a different hub did not help. However, if I plugged it straight into the PC's usb, then the problem went away. So, try that. Sunny was going to try that when he got home, hopefully he will post here if that helped.

Look at the third and fourth posts in this thread...

Steve

Video11
12-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone. Sorry to say, nothing has helped so far.

I've tried to manually delete Activesync, but that didn't work.

It seems like the connection is timing out. The connection lasts for around five minutes then drops on the Axim side. As of 5 minutes ago, the Axim dropped and right now Activesync is still spinning. I've also unchecked boxes with regard to sync with server every 5 minutes, thinking this interfered somehow. That didn't help either. I'd like to try to sync with another PC as suggested by BigDaddyJ. I'll see what I can do about that today.

Are there other Axim users out there able to sync with Avantgo?

I hate to state the obvious, but sometimes it's the obvious that gets overlooked: Is your Avantgo Account properly set up on the PPC?

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but I recall that it took me days getting Activesync/Avantgo to work until I found and set up the Avantgo Account Information on my Jornada 568.

In PIE tap Avantgo / Tools / Server Options / Properties and verify that your Avantgo Account Username and Password are properly set.

enemy2k2
12-07-2002, 02:26 PM
In situations like these, I like to go to extremes. Iwould hard reset the PPC, and completely reinstall win on the PC. Also makes for a nice fresh new start. Install only things that matter to you more than the PPC first and then everything required for the PPC from the Dell cd only, install avantgo onthe ppc. The shananigans should stop. If they don't, then at least you have a faster fresher system:)

Steven Cedrone
12-07-2002, 03:19 PM
One last thing: it probably doesn't matter too much, if at all, but have you flashed your BIOS lately? I've seen really freaky problems in computers get solved this way before without a good explanation.

I would look at this next. Check the Dell website for your desktop and see if there is a BIOS update available.

In situations like these, I like to go to extremes. Iwould hard reset the PPC, and completely reinstall win on the PC. Also makes for a nice fresh new start. Install only things that matter to you more than the PPC first and then everything required for the PPC from the Dell cd only, install avantgo onthe ppc. The shananigans should stop. If they don't, then at least you have a faster fresher system:)

Certainly exhaust all possibilities before wiping out your desktop and starting fresh...

Steve

husky99
12-07-2002, 08:52 PM
I posted this over on the Dell Axim Tech board. These workarounds are working for me. I expect they would do the same for someone else experiencing the same problems. I think it is an issue with the Dell Axim driver. I had my e740 (returned) working perfectly with this setup. Activesync is designed to work with multiple ppc, which leads me to a Axim driver issue.

At least my inital diagnosis is that my sync problems are due to bugs in the USB driver.

What works: :lol:

The first time I installed the USB driver. I was able to sync, transfer files everything worked as expected. Once I disconnect the Axim from the base, restart my pc, or turn off the screen on the Axim, it will not resync again. Until, I remove the driver from the device manager, reboot and stop active sync on the Axim. After those steps, sync works again.

This leads me to another issue, why does active sync stay running after I disconnect from the base? I believe this stopped running on my e740 after removing it from the base. Also after I stop active sync on the Axim, it gives me a program not responding error, I end task, then select active sync on the Axim and it give me connections errors until I soft reset.

I do have a couple of items to my situation that might be an 'issue'. I returned my e740 so everything was left from the old install when I used that ppc. (Outlook 2002, ActiveSync 3.5) I would say yes, maybe these could be factors in the problem, but why does it work correctly when the driver is first installed or reinstalled and not after?

This occurs on my 98 machine at home.

I was also having problems syncing at work with a Dell Win2K machine that I installed Outlook and ActiveSync for the first time from the Dell CD when my Axim arrived. On this machine I cannot transfer files anyway other than using the file sync option. Click and Drag quits after about 4+ MB of data, and drops the connection. So for large files that is my work around.

I am a software tester by trade, so at least I am satisfied with the work arounds. This is a real pain though. Let me know if this solves your problems syncing.

Sunnyone
12-08-2002, 05:12 AM
Thanks again, everyone for your suggestions. I flashed my bios. I really thought that one had possibilities. Nope. I don't really want to reload XP. If it's a Dell driver issue, will this really help, anyway? Sorry for the newby-type questions.

Can you file sync Avantgo? I couldn't figure out how. I can probably modem sync it, if nothing else works.

Not sure what else to do at this point.

I'll probably call Dell again on Monday. At least I can make a nuisance of myself and maybe they'll look into the driver situation.

Steven Cedrone
12-08-2002, 05:40 AM
This is what I would do: Explain that you have never had a successful sync between your brand new Dell Axim and a six month old Dell 8100. Aside from making them try to duplicate your problem, insist they overnight a new Axim, or in the very least, a new cable or cradle...

Can't hurt right, the product is not working as advertised. You have done more then the average consumer to try to make it work...

Steve

Sunnyone
12-08-2002, 05:55 AM
You're right, Steve, it can't hurt. I'll give it my best shot. Thanks for your support. I do try to figure things out, to the best of my limited abilities. This one is just beyond me!

Renee

Steven Cedrone
12-08-2002, 06:08 AM
Let us know how you make out...

Did you ever find another PC to try to sync to? I had another thought: doesn't the 8100 have an IR port? Did you try to sync via IR?...

Steve

Sunnyone
12-08-2002, 06:24 PM
I plan to get with one of my friends next week to load on his PC and try to sync.

Also, I don't have an IR port on my 8100. :(

Fzara
12-09-2002, 03:26 AM
how do you use the IR port on the Inspiron 8200? I have the IR, but im not sure how to activate it.

Sunnyone
12-09-2002, 10:11 PM
I am on the line with customer service and they are "creating the dispatch" to send me another unit. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I have to thank Kati for this one! I hadn't noticed that the D pad on my machine was not working as it should until I noticed a post from her on another forum item. (Not sure if it was her Dell she was speaking of or someone elses, though). My D pad doesn't consistently work, either. That did the trick with customer service!!

I'm not sure if I'll have luck with syncing another unit if the problem is with drivers for my on my Dell Dimension or a USB connection issue, but it is at least worth a try.

I should have my new unit in 3 business days!!

Wish me luck....

Sunnyone
12-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Unbelievable - I received my new Axim this morning at 8:45 AM. That was extremely quick! :D

Janak Parekh
12-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Unbelievable - I received my new Axim this morning at 8:45 AM. That was extremely quick! :D
Now, time to cross fingers and install ActiveSync again ;)

In general, this is a good sign - looks like Dell is now ahead of the demand curve... I remember people dreading sending out their original iPaqs, because it could have been weeks before they got a replacement.

--bdj

Sunnyone
12-10-2002, 09:35 PM
The more I thought about my sync problem, the more I agreed with BigDaddy about the possibility of a USB chipset problem. I have more USB devices than ports, so I got a USB 2.0 card for my Dell Dimension and installed it this afternoon. This fixed my problem. I am able to sync my original Axim. And now I have 4 extra USB ports.

Since I also have a D-pad problem, I'll still send back my original Dell.

But voila! Problem solved. I'm really glad because I've grown attached to my Axim :wink:

Thanks to everyone who responded and offered help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Renee

husky99
12-10-2002, 09:51 PM
How is the replacement "navigation pad"? Is this not an issue with the replacement? Is it less mushy or just a better click to the right?

Sunnyone
12-10-2002, 09:58 PM
It's not as mushy, but it's still mushier (is that even a word?) that I would probably like. I am able to click to the right consistently, which was the biggest problem. I think it's just a matter of getting used to its mushyness (there's another good word). It has a much different feel from my iPAQ.

Janak Parekh
12-10-2002, 10:58 PM
The more I thought about my sync problem, the more I agreed with BigDaddy about the possibility of a USB chipset problem. I have more USB devices than ports, so I got a USB 2.0 card for my Dell Dimension and installed it this afternoon. This fixed my problem. I am able to sync my original Axim. And now I have 4 extra USB ports.
Congrats :D I didn't actually think of suggesting getting a separate USB 2.0 card. But this is a good tip to keep in mind in general -- USB 2.0 is theoretically more stable and patched up, and more compatible overall (at least, one would think). Plus you can use it with high-speed peripherals.

It's not as mushy, but it's still mushier (is that even a word?)
Yep - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mushier :)

--bdj

steve_chen
12-11-2002, 12:10 AM
I just send a mail to sunnyone, this problem is caused by Windows XP earlier version, I believe Dell PC used USB OHCI protocol, means used
ALI/SIS Chipset, you can resolve this issue either install USB Card(make sure this card used USB UHCI protocol) or you can upgrade your XP to SP1(Service Pack 1), I believe this can resolve your problem.

Sunnyone
12-11-2002, 02:58 PM
:D

I also installed SP1. It just tool so long to download on dial-up. We don't have DSL in my area and we have a satelite so don't want to get cable, as well. I guess I could have ordered upgrade CDs.

wayne1
01-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Info at dell site :(

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dellpda&message.id=1923

ux4484
01-09-2003, 12:28 AM
I was working dandy....until I installed my CF wifi card....all worked last night OK, but this morning..... 8O winsock error message :x ......also partnership name went POOF in AS and it could not detect the device (even though both computer and PDA beeped when inserted in cradle). Installed the MS 3.6 AS over the Dell 3.5 AS. AS it found it right away after that and synced right up so it was an AS problem.

Running XP pro with Office/Outlook 2K, cradle goes through a hub.

QtSmoopy
01-10-2003, 04:44 AM
Oh my! I have to add to this thread. I have gottem my Axim about 4 weeks ago and have yet to be able to download/transfer any programs to it from my desktop. I have just gotten off the phone with Dell, since 4:30PM today and it is now 8:30PM. Everytime I start a download the connection "just drops" between my desktop and my Axim. I can sync my outlook stuff no problem, but anything else, it just drops. Custom Support for dell is sadly declining rapidly. I own 3 Dell computers and have always hung up with them happy, not today. Those people haven't a clue or maybe they do but no solution to this ever so common problem. I am so dissappointed and fed up, I am packing it up and returning it when I get my label from Dell to ship it back. Anyone out there have any idea what I can do to "save" this Axim. At this point it is just an electronic franklin covey planner, I can't install any of my software for school. If no idea how to fix, what can you suggest I get?? I am confused about the HP, or Toshiba???

Sslixtis
01-10-2003, 05:06 AM
QtSmoopyAnyone out there have any idea what I can do to "save" this Axim.

So what have you already tried? What OS are you using? What Active Sync version? Did you install the Dell Axim Drivers from the CD? Are you using USB? Are all the boxes in AS checked?

8O