View Full Version : Looking to pick up a PPC for a first time user. (help!)

rein
12-05-2002, 07:47 AM
I have been asked to pick up a PPC for a first time user for a Christmas present. The amount of time it takes Dell to ship puts me in a bind so I need to decide if I am ordering the Axim right away. Before I do I have a few questions. Keep in mind I have never used a PPC myself either.

1. Is the Xscale processor really slow? It just seems I see reviews all over that say it isn't much faster than the older ARM processors.

2. Is there much of a speed difference in the 300 vs 400 mhz Xscales? Right now I see a lot of reviews that are saying no. I am wondering if later things may support Xscale technology and the 400 mhz could make a big difference. If there is not much I could go and pick up a Toshiba without having to wait.

3. Does the Axim support diagonal movement for playing games? I read a post below that says games were not a problem but he used SMB as an example. SMB didn't require diagonal direction, it only required 4 way, up, down, left, right, and jump. Will the Axim allow for diagonal movement or is it more of a staggered left, up, left, up type situation if I were wanting to go up and to the left?

4. Is the ship date accurate on the Dell site? If it says the 18th have then been sticking to that ship date? I really don't have a lot of time to spare if I order it for a gift. I have no problem paying for overnight delivery if I need to but I would need to be sure it was going to ship prior to Christmas.

Any input for a first time buyer and user is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

solus
12-05-2002, 06:01 PM
I was a first time PDA/PPC buyer (ordered the 400mhz axim on the 1st), and this is what I've figured out...if anyone sees anything wrong please correct me....
Is the Xscale processor really slow? It just seems I see reviews all over that say it isn't much faster than the older ARM processors.
The Xscale processor hasn't had its chance to shine yet. Not many apps (if any) have Xscale optimizations. However, they are coming. An Xscale CPU is probably the best way to go in terms of how long the device lasts.
Is there much of a speed difference in the 300 vs 400 mhz Xscales?
Again, because there are no optimizations for Xscale, reviews and benchmarks won't show that much of a difference between the two CPU's. However, there could potentially be a fairly nice gap between the two CPU benchmarks once Xscale optimizations do appear. Look at this review of the Viewsonic V35 (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/viewsonic_V35.htm)...near the bottom there are a few benchmarks of different CPUs. Keep in mind that these are apps that don't have Xscale optimiztions.
Does the Axim support diagonal movement for playing games?
Me don't know. sorry.... anyone else?
Is the ship date accurate on the Dell site?
As far as I know, that ship date is required to be more than actual ship date by law..or something like that. Everyone that I've heard from have actually had theirs shipped BEFORE that date. However, I'm not 100% sure it would get to you before Christmas. Thats a hard one to predict for me.
Maybe if someone who has more of a feel of how DELL works could give some input?
Thanks in advance.
Your welcome :wink: . Hope that helps.

garretwp
12-05-2002, 06:09 PM
From what i have read the diagonal pad supports eight directions. up down left right and inbetween left right up down.

Garrrett