View Full Version : CF or SD WiFi...What to do?

bdegroodt
12-04-2002, 11:12 PM
I have a 3975 and am growing restless for WiFi at home. Already have the laptops set up, but would like the freedom of taking the Ipaq out of the cradle and still keeping in touch with email etc.

I've been holding out for an SD WiFi card, but I don't seem to be hearing much from Sychip on a ship date other than "Q1 of 03" which could be another 120 days from today. :x

So, I'm thinking of getting a Silver Slider CF pack and a CF WiFi card. Anyone hear anytihng else about the SD WiFi? Should I hold out over the holidays? Think it will be out sooner rather than later?

Jorgen
12-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Socket was one of the companies that talked about making such a card (http://www.wiredguy.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=991&postid=2470). Keep an eye on their website http://www.socketcom.com (just checked and no, they don't even mention it yet) or try emailing them.

Jorgen

bdegroodt
12-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks Jorgen. I went ahead and bought the Silver Slider. I figure I can use it for storage as well (Although I doubt I will ever take it with me as I don't like anything that adds to the form factor. I live in NYC, so less is always better.).

I had a $30 off coupon for Amazon, so I bought the Linksys CF card for $30. Plus $65 for the SS and I'm done for under $100. I figure that's less than the SD card would have cost and when I comes out I can pawn my stuff off on Ebay and offset the cost of the CF/SS.

On the other hand, by that time the 5400 should be good and cheaper. I might just part with the entire setup and move up to the 5400 that I really want. :?

Stik
12-05-2002, 08:35 PM
Personally bdegroot,, I think you're making the right choice for now.
I've been trying to put the SDIO puzzle together for awhile now, and this is how I feel it's shaking out. First off, according to Sychip, they will not be selling the card themselves, leaving that to other VAR's such as Socket to add their tech and to market the product. I think that Jorgen is going to be correct about Socket having one of the first WLAN SDIO cards to market.
Why? Basically, Sychip has already done work with Socket on GPS applications...

'Moses Asom, Senior Vice President & Co-Founder of SyChip said, “Sychip’s reference designs for GPS applications incorporate Socket’s interface chips because these low-power components work well in handling large quantities of data, perfect for a mobile device environment.” SyChip Inc. is a leading designer and developer of Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Chip Scale Modules for the wireless Internet appliance market.'
http://www.socketcom.com/about/press/read.asp?ID=57

Now in order to have Socket's SDIO Bluetooth card work, ( and I would ASSUME the same would hold true with a SDIO WLAN card when they become available ) a device MUST have BSquare's SDIO Now! system software ( drivers ) in the product. This is NOT now the case with your iPaq 3975. However, it IS the case on the iPAQ 5400 you desire. :D
http://www.bsquare.com/news/press/story.asp?PressID=312

One of the final pieces of the puzzle that has me thinking this way is Sychip has now become one of the latest companies to join BSquare's SDIO Now! program...

“BSQUARE’s SDIO Now! program has been a key asset in our ability to provide a plug and play solution for our customers. It allowed us to offer what we believe to be the world’s first SDIO 802.11b NIC card that can be used with PDAs and Smartphones for high speed Internet Access,” said Navi Miglani, Product Marketing Manager for SyChip.
http://www.bsquare.com/news/press/story.asp?PressID=311

So thats my take on how this story is unfolding. Toshiba is a whole 'nother SDIO story for another time. :wink:

bdegroodt
12-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks Stik! What a wealth of information. I feel much better about my decision. I've had every Palm and every Ipaq since they first shipped and the PPC PE. I now have a 3975 and a SE T68i that I am very much in love with. This is what I would call my first "long term relationship" with a PDA/Cell phone. I'm tempted by the 5400, but truly don't have any reason to pony up the additional $ just yet.

Now, if it had a keyboard built in, I'd be tempted even more.

Well, off to figure out how to do WiFi sync...thanks all! :D

GQ19
12-13-2002, 06:30 PM
personally i'm waiting for my nextel cell phone contract to expire at which time i plan on signing up with sprint and getting an unlimited "vision" plan.. which will give me unlimited data through the new SE T608 that is coming out soon i hope and will sell my 3955 for a 5450.. if i had ANY idea on when a CDMA 1XRTT version of the 54XX would be shipping i would love to get that with the sprint plan.. that'd be beautiful.. but i can't imagine taking out a brick to make a call at a club or even a formal event just yet.. :)

bdegroodt
12-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Just an update. I got my Silver Slider SS3 last week and for those of you that are considering getting one, do it! What a beautiful piece of work. Wish more accessories for the Ipaq looked so nice.

Now I'm just waiting for my CF card from Amazon.