View Full Version : Are You Receiving Email Notifications?

Jason Dunn
12-04-2002, 06:37 PM
I believe we finally nailed down the email notification problems we were having last month, but I wanted to make sure. If you sign up for discussion forum update notifications, or private message notifications, do you receive these via email? Answer the survey below please. If you don't use this feature of phpBB, please don't answer the survey. Thank you!

ThomasC22
12-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Is this "as of today"? Because I was getting them briefly last week and I got a batch mid-week, and last night I got a batch of them. So I'm not sure if that's a yes or a no :?

(that was a confused :? btw, I'm not quite sure what that paticular emoticon is supposed to convey and I myself have used it in several different contexts so I wanted to make sure I was clear)

entropy1980
12-04-2002, 07:54 PM
I am with Thomas.... got them periodically last week then nothing...

ThomasC22
12-04-2002, 08:01 PM
Thanks Jeremiah, now I know I'm a No :D

Anyway, no, I'm not getting them right now as I didn't get one for this thread.

entropy1980
12-04-2002, 08:13 PM
That's what I am here for .... to proclaim we are NO's 8O :D

Ed Hansberry
12-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Those that are priodically getting them is one thing - but those that aren't and have signed up for them - make sure they aren't going to a trash folder due to a filter. Some ISPs like Earthlink use BrightMail and they may be shuttling it off to your trash bin. I know Hotmail does it for nearly 100% of notifications I get from other boards and I have to add those notifications to my "safe list."

Janak Parekh
12-04-2002, 08:30 PM
Jason, can you add a third option for Erratically? I had the exact same behavior last week as Tom & co.

--bdj

karen
12-04-2002, 08:34 PM
And someone at PPT out to ensure that there are no spam filters between PPthoughts and their SMTP server.

My host for my communities just installed a spam filter (with no notification) and they have it set to stop sending an e-mail once there is more than one bounce message. We have thousands of subscribers, so there is just no way to ensure that every single e-mail recipient has an up to date, valid, working e-mail address.

We struggled for weeks, looking a logs, testing, trying to figure out why some lists sent messages just fine an other sent only a couple of messages correctly. Finally, someone at the host thought "uh, I wonder if..." and bang, that was it.

Karen

Those that are priodically getting them is one thing - but those that aren't and have signed up for them - make sure they aren't going to a trash folder due to a filter. Some ISPs like Earthlink use BrightMail and they may be shuttling it off to your trash bin. I know Hotmail does it for nearly 100% of notifications I get from other boards and I have to add those notifications to my "safe list."

KyleC
12-04-2002, 08:56 PM
Well, I can honestly say that I do get my messages, and I would say quite regularly. However, I only do the "Watch this topic" thing so it may be other notifications that are messed up. :scatter:

Gerard
12-04-2002, 09:47 PM
I don't think I'm getting them lately... no, I haven't seen a Thoughts email for a couple of weeks at least. I can't really tell if I miss them, because I respond to stuff posted on today's main page, and if I don't hear back I just lose track of the threads. There are far too many forums to keep touch with to spend time hunting down old threads everywhere, so when Dale's or Steve's or Aaron's email notifications fail, I miss stuff there too. Just the breaks, I guess. Perhaps a side effect of dialup combined with Pocket IE? Kind of limits interest in spending huge amounts of time tapping links, which in theory means I get more work done! ;)

Ed Hansberry
12-04-2002, 10:13 PM
Perhaps a side effect of dialup combined with Pocket IE?
If you aren't logged in through PIE, PPCT won't reconize you've visited a thread and therefore won't send you an update when additional changes are made. Same would happen if you checked from another terminal.

Jason Dunn
12-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Oh boy....back to square one... 8O

Janak Parekh
12-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Oh boy....back to square one... 8O
You're never going to win, Jason... just admit it :lol:

--bdj

dhoward
12-05-2002, 02:25 AM
I posted a reply to a topic in this Update group yesterday, Tuesday. Asked for a reply notification.

Checked the same article tonight, Wednesday, and there was added traffic but I received no response from the Forum Engine sending me an e-mail notification.

pschultz
12-05-2002, 05:09 AM
I have not received any email confirmations that I have subscribed to since the new site.

Gerard
12-05-2002, 06:14 AM
"If you aren't logged in through PIE, PPCT won't reconize you've visited a thread and therefore won't send you an update when additional changes are made. Same would happen if you checked from another terminal."
Ed; I'm not sure I follow. I never browse the forums using anything but Pocket IE, via my dialup through a Socket CF modem. Been doing it that way since I became a member of Thoughts. Same for all the other forums I visit. Yet recently email notifications from this forum stopped. I'm not sure when, but sometime in the past month or so. I still see 'You have no new messages - > Logout [Gerard]' at the top of this and every page, so obviously I've never logged out. I haven't had to enter my password here for months. So email notification is either a) broken generally, or b) broken for PIE users. Either way, it ain't my fault! I only came back here just now because of the subject of this thread, to see if maybe there had been further posts I'd not been notified of, and sure enough there have been several since my 'subscribed' post this afternoon. And yes, 'Notify me when a reply is posted' is checked automatically when I hit the Reply button, because I checked off that option in my profile. I see it here, if I scroll down one 'page' in PIE.

Willa
12-05-2002, 11:52 PM
I subscribed to this thread just to see if notifications were working for me. No problem, or so it seemed, when I received an email notice after the very next post. I then voted "yes." However, though I remained logged on (and am logged on now), I received no further notices even though there have been other responses....

Pony99CA
12-06-2002, 02:19 AM
I started getting some a couple of weeks ago, then didn't seem to get any, but now I'm getting them. I just checked Inbox on my iPAQ 3870 and have two notifications. (I haven't checked whether other threads were updated without notification.)

Good news for me, at least. :-)

Steve

Pony99CA
12-06-2002, 02:56 AM
There are far too many forums to keep touch with to spend time hunting down old threads everywhere, so when Dale's or Steve's or Aaron's email notifications fail, I miss stuff there too.

The simple way to find if there were posts to threads you've posted to is to use Search, then type your handle in the appropriate box and hit the Search button.

This will show you a list of all threads you've posted to, and includes the time and author of the last update. If the last update was by you, there haven't been new posts. If the last update was later than the last time you checked that thread (if you remember that), there have been new posts.

Using that technique, I found that, while I have gotten some E-mail notifications, I haven't gotten them for every thread. So something is still broken. :-(

Steve

dhoward
12-12-2002, 02:05 AM
Jason,

Just a quick update. I posted a topic under the Compaq series re: 5450 release dates? Never did receive any notifications of updates from that posting, as well as this one.

FYI
david
dallas

JonnoB
12-12-2002, 02:12 AM
After a few months of getting NO notifications at all, I started getting them an hour or two ago...

ThomasC22
12-12-2002, 02:52 AM
I'm starting to think it might have something to do with Server Load only because I seem to get them between 12 and 6am these days (when the board isn't as busy I would assume). But during the day, nothing.