View Full Version : How do i connect to Corporate server...

nawaz76
12-04-2002, 03:45 AM
How do i connect to Corporate server...

Hi folks
i am trying to get my concepts right here, help me

i have an PPC Apps which runs on SqlServer CE and Syncs with SqlServer using RDA .it all happens through a cradle which connected via USB to a Laptop.

Now obvioulsy i cant sync with the laptop sitting right next to my PPC , i need to coonect to my corporate sever which is sitting behind a firewall
how do i connect to that
do i use , dialup,VPN,Pass through ,RAS ???which is the right/efficient/secure way and how do i do it ?
any tips,code snippets....

TIA
-Shah

nawaz76
12-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Anybody Home......

it had 200 + hits over night ,still waiting for an answer

thks
-Shah

Sven Johannsen
12-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Patience. The title makes folks think you are probably asking about retrieving corporate mail from Exchange or Lotus, which has some well known answers. I think the hits are likely folks who can answer that but aren't familiar enough with your problem to help.

One thing that may help the smart enterprise guys answer. Does the server have a real IP, i.e. not a private IP using NAT? My personal guess would be VPN, though I have not heard many wonderful stories about VPN on a PPC. You might try looking at Chris De Herrera's site. http://www.cewindows.net/ There is a tremendous amount of info there on all manner of networking. Try the FAQs, the networking section.

nawaz76
12-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Sven,

sorry i was lil impatient i was trying all ways to find an answer ,
thks a lot anyway , cewindows.net had an enormous info as u said

but the more i read , the more i am getting confused..

my problem is

coz of poor infrastrucure in developing nations i cant use a wireless modem or cell phone connection on PPC to connect to Corporate sever to sync my Sql DB

i was thinking the best option would be take advantage of the Desktop internet connection(Lan coonection) to whch the PPC will be conneted through USB and sycn it with Corporate SQL.

i read an article abt Pass through , if i remember correctly they said it will not work if its behind a firewall? is that right ??

i am all confused how to procced with this ??

am i thinking in the right track ? is there any other wat to achieve it ??

thks in advance

JonnoB
12-04-2002, 09:45 PM
How is your app connecting to the firewall? If the SQL server is on the inside of the firewall and you are on the outside, then you will need to open up some ports or better, use VPN to get on the inside of your corporate network.

enob
12-27-2002, 07:57 PM
As JonnaB points out you will need VPN to get into the network via laptop or PC and then you can sync up your PDA. I do that today for Email/Outlook and files.