View Full Version : Any Freeware/Shareware Cascading Menu Programs

MLO
12-02-2002, 11:34 PM
I'm using Battery Pack currently, so I have nice little one-tap icons to my most used programs.

I was wondering if there was a program that would simply allow another cascading menu off of the Start Menu. Something that would give me more options than just the 9 programs on the Start Menu.

Thanks

MLO

RickP in AZ
12-02-2002, 11:41 PM
I have no experience with it but here is the link for "SmallMenu"

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=3146&associateid=9

mmc
12-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Thanx RickP. really cool product.

MLO
12-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Its okay...the only problems I have with it are a) doesn't integrate into the Start Menu button unless you get SmallMenuPlus (which for eight bucks isn't bad at all) and b) options are a bit too complex for what I need..i.e. a simple cascading start menu.

I'll keep playing with it for a bit, but if anyone has more suggestions, please feel free to post.

MLO

Mark R Penn
12-03-2002, 10:01 AM
The only other programme I know that gives cascading start menu's is Facelift (www.novosec.de). It's not free (about €15), but it does do a fantastic job of the menu's (drag and drop, theme background, fully integrated etc etc etc) and it does do other things as well (battery/memory meter, launcher, task switcher, themes for PPC2000 devices). The beauty of it is you can use only the features you need, so you can have just the menu's if you want.

Mark

MLO
12-03-2002, 04:54 PM
I'll try Facelift. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any. Thanks for the quick responses.

MLO

Xyress
12-03-2002, 06:00 PM
There was a free cascading menu by the same company Tillanosoft that works great. I have it on my EM-500, but unfortunately, I just have the MIPS version. Maybe someone, somewhere has the free version for ARM that was offered a year or two ago?

MobiliT
12-03-2002, 11:34 PM
There was a free cascading menu by the same company Tillanosoft that works great.
I use ProgramMenu (freeware) from Tillanosoft at www.tillanosoft.com. It is the same company that wrote the SmallMenu / SmallMenuPlus suite, but, the ProgramMenuPlus app is only $5.20 versus SmallMenuPlus $8.00 cost since it is simpler and less features.

Xyress
12-03-2002, 11:37 PM
I think that ProgramMenu has always been free now that I think about it ... but it was 'ProgramMenu Toys' that enabled you to use a WISBar skin for the Start button rather than the default ugly start button that ProgramMenu comes with. It used to all be free, but it isn't anymore.

guilmon
12-04-2002, 04:52 AM
Also look around for a program "Today Launch." It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it works great, plus you can size icons to make it look like a windows style desktop, which also is cool.

MLO
12-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys.

I think I will check out Today Launch. What I was really hoping for was the type and functionality of Novasoft's cascading menu implemented in Pocket Facelift, with the small footprint of Tillansoft's offer.

Tillansoft's Program menu doesn't seem to do cascading menus; only scrolling seems to be available (arrows on the upper and lower end of the Start Menu).

MLO

ledpocket
12-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Program menu allows cascading. What you need to do is create a folder structure with the links in it.

What I did was create a folder called "cascade" then filled it with subfolders like "internet" "outlook" "office" "Imaging" -- etc. I then filled each of those folders with links to the appropriate programs.

I placed this in the My Documents folder, and under settings for program menu select "use custom menu at" and then explore to the location.

All of this results in a cascading style menu.

MLO
12-05-2002, 09:19 PM
I'll try that.

How did you create the shortcuts? Do they have bitmaps as icons, or do they default to the Windows flag icon?

MLO

smittyofdhs
12-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Also look around for a program "Today Launch." It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it works great, plus you can size icons to make it look like a windows style desktop, which also is cool.

DO you have a link for Today Launch? I tried over at handango but couldn't find it.

ledpocket
12-06-2002, 05:07 AM
To creat a shortcut just copy and paste out of the windows\start menu\ programs folder into the new folder in your cascading menu.

Do not copy from the start menu (go down the next level to the programs folder) because if you remove a program from the start menu the link you create in program menu will stop working.

BTW you can also put folder shortcuts into the cascading menu, but be warned that if you have a lot of files in the folder program menu will take a while to open.