View Full Version : SD vs. CF

Kei
12-02-2002, 08:43 AM
Is there any difference between the two which would make it more desirable to have extra memory in one form or the other? For example, if I wanted a WiFi card and additional memory, would I want one to be SD or one to be CF?

ThomasC22
12-02-2002, 08:52 AM
Is there any difference between the two which would make it more desirable to have extra memory in one form or the other? For example, if I wanted a WiFi card and additional memory, would I want one to be SD or one to be CF?

Well, CF is cheaper in all regards (memory and peripherals). Plus, SD peripherals are still very rare (many have been announced, few have been delivered). To give you an example, to the best of my knowledge, a SD WiFi solution does not currently exist (unless you count Bluetooth as WiFi which some people do).

So, CF is your only option right now for most peripherals (although that is supposed to change in early 2003).

The only real advantage to SD (other than the obvious, which is size)is the fact that it is widely believed that SD will eventually take over from CF. So, if your next PDA two years from now only has SD slots you will have to throw out your CF cards. If you look at the PocketPC market you'll see this is already starting to happen.

Stik
12-02-2002, 02:42 PM
FWIW, SyChip claims to be in final testing of this SDIO WLAN product...
http://www.ppcnewswire.net/mobile/864.html

PhatCohiba
12-02-2002, 02:45 PM
I have a CF WiFi card (Socket) and use it all of the time. I only use CF memory when I'm offline. I have a 128mb SD card that has basically been in my system for over a year now. I have no other SD cards.

I was talking to a friend last week who was buying a dell. (Dude!) and I told him the #1 add-on would be a 256mb SD card, and #2 would be a CF WiFi Card. If you have the extra $200, get the 512mb SD card, but having lived with 128mb for a year, I'd think that 256mb SD would be fine.

If you get both a SD card and a WiFi and were looking for an Offine memory solution, I'd consider an under $75 256mb CF or an under $120 CF 512mb. You could fill that up with a ton of MP3s, Divx Videos, and eBooks.

my $.02. Don't forget to use the Affiliate PriceGrabber link to search for memory off the PPCT home page.

-John

Pony99CA
12-02-2002, 02:56 PM
I think Compact Flash is faster than SD, and it's certainly cheaper. Also, CF cards are currently available in larger capacities than SD. CF 1 GB cards are available now, with sizes up to 3 GB being demonstrated. The largest SD card available now (I think) is 512 MB.

There may be WiFi SD cards out soon, but for now your best bet is to buy a CF card. If you only have one CF slot and one SD slot, that would mean you'd have to use the SD slot for memory.

Steve

Pony99CA
12-02-2002, 03:00 PM
The only real advantage to SD (other than the obvious, which is size)is the fact that it is widely believed that SD will eventually take over from CF. So, if your next PDA two years from now only has SD slots you will have to throw out your CF cards. If you look at the PocketPC market you'll see this is already starting to happen.

That may be widely believed, but I don't see it in the Pocket PC market yet. Look at all of the Pocket PCs with CF capability being announced, and all the people who complain about SD-only models.

Yes, some Pocket PCs only have SD slots, but I think that's usually for size and cost reasons.

Steve

Pony99CA
12-02-2002, 03:14 PM
I was talking to a friend last week who was buying a dell. (Dude!) and I told him the #1 add-on would be a 256mb SD card, and #2 would be a CF WiFi Card. If you have the extra $200, get the 512mb SD card, but having lived with 128mb for a year, I'd think that 256mb SD would be fine.

I used a 256 MB CF card in my iPAQ 3870 and found it wasn't enough, even with my 128 MB SD card. I just got a 512 MB CF card, and it's almost full (less than 20 MB remaining).

I suppose it depends what you do with your memory. I have a lot of MP3s on my CF card, plus my GPS program, map and points-of-interest database. In fact, I got my 512 MB card just so I could store the entire 157 MB POI database on my Pocket PC, plus have more room for MP3s and a larger map (I now have most of California plus sections of Nevada and Arizona).

I keep other software and my eBooks on my SD card.

If you get both a SD card and a WiFi and were looking for an Offine memory solution, I'd consider an under $75 256mb CF or an under $120 CF 512mb. You could fill that up with a ton of MP3s, Divx Videos, and eBooks.

Where can you get a $120 512 MB CF card? I just got my Viking 512 MB one at Amazon, and that was $195 (before the $50 rebate). They just seem to have lowered the price to $182 (bastards! :lol:) before the $50 rebate, and that was the cheapest PriceGrabber found. Here's the Amazon deal (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005MIS8/jasondunn20/102-3143083-6868917) (hopefully an affiliate link).

Steve

PhatCohiba
12-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Where can you get a $120 512 MB CF card? I just got my Viking 512 MB one at Amazon, and that was $195 (before the $50 rebate). They just seem to have lowered the price to $182 (bastards! :lol:) before the $50 rebate, and that was the cheapest PriceGrabber found. Here's the Amazon deal (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005MIS8/jasondunn20/102-3143083-6868917) (hopefully an affiliate link).

Steve

Must be sleepy. The CF deal was $135. 512 MB CompactFlash Card for $135.99 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?topic_id=5093)

ThomasC22
12-02-2002, 05:20 PM
That may be widely believed, but I don't see it in the Pocket PC market yet. Look at all of the Pocket PCs with CF capability being announced, and all the people who complain about SD-only models.

Yes, some Pocket PCs only have SD slots, but I think that's usually for size and cost reasons.

Actually, the reason I posted that (because I've always been with you on the "it's widely believed but not really true" theory) was the other thread with the guy trying to decide on a PDA for med-school.

When I was thinking about his question I realized how few the choices are for people wanting an integrated CF slot (if you think about it, the only new PDAs with CF slots are the e740 and Axim). I think this is largely because of the success of the iPaq more than the wide scale adoption of SD but still...

guilmon
12-04-2002, 04:48 AM
If you are planning on purchasing an sd card (for holidays or otherwise) plus if you have a Sams club membership, they are selling 128 mb sd cars for 50 dollars. I know I am getting one because I look in my parents closet every day. :D

Matt Cassidy
12-04-2002, 06:22 AM
I found 512mb CF cards for $145 just last night. I haven't bought one yet so i can't vouch for the quality but here is the link..
http://www.digi4me.com/
I use a 128mb SD for my system backup and a few large programs that i use for work. I have 2-64mb CF cards that i swap back and forth for mp3's and pictures. I like the CF because my digital camera uses them also and i can take my pics and pop the card into my Genio 550 and "wa-la" i have a slide presentation with the help of PictPocket Cinema at http://www.digisoftdirect.com/index.html

mashtim
12-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Just in case anyone is using this thread as reference, I wanted to point out that the Toshiba e550 also has two integrated slots.

Personally, I don't see CF going anywhere any time soon. CF has had a better price point for too long for it to go away quickly. Too many people have spent too much $ on cards and peripherals using the CF slots and they are not going to switch to SD (exclusively) for a long time if they can help it.

Maybe 5-10 years from now when the there are 802.11a-b-g SD cards and 4MP SD cameras the CF slot will finally be dead, but don't hold your breath! Of course, even then people are going to need another slot for memory, anyway!

ThomasC22
12-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Maybe 5-10 years from now when the there are 802.11a-b-g SD cards and 4MP SD cameras the CF slot will finally be dead, but don't hold your breath! Of course, even then people are going to need another slot for memory, anyway!

I've basically decided to stick to the rule of using my CF for Peripherals and my SD for memory. This is based on the theory that, in almost all cases, the only reason I can see someone using a peripheral on their PDA is to get connected and my next PDA will probably have built in wireless. So even though it may not have a CF slot I won't be "SOL" if you will

Pony99CA
12-06-2002, 04:29 AM
If you are planning on purchasing an sd card (for holidays or otherwise) plus if you have a Sams club membership, they are selling 128 mb sd cars for 50 dollars. I know I am getting one because I look in my parents closet every day. :D
Back on July 20th, via a link from Pocket PC Thoughts, I bought a SanDisk 128 MB SD card on Amazon for $53.95 before a $10 rebate. So $50 now isn't that great.

In fact, I just checked Price Grabber from the Pocket PC Thoughts home page using "128 SD", and there were several sites selling them in the $50 range. But I have a better deal for you.... :-)

If you buy a Viking 128 MB SD card from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UEA6//102-3143083-6868917?v=glance&n=281052&st=photo&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER), you can get it for $20 after rebates! The price is $59.99, there's a $29.99 coupon and a $10 rebate. Here's the information from Amazon:

You can also use this promotional code--HLDAYFREE4SD--for a $29.99 discount if you purchase one of the following higher-capacity memory cards:

* Viking 64 MB Secure Digital card
* Viking 128 MB Secure Digital card

If the coupon doesn't work, call Amazon at (800) 201-7575 and ask them to apply the coupon.

Steve

guilmon
12-07-2002, 04:10 AM
Steve Wrote Something...

But I am WAY too lazy to do that!

Pony99CA
12-08-2002, 07:22 AM
If you buy a Viking 128 MB SD card from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UEA6//102-3143083-6868917?v=glance&n=281052&st=photo&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER), you can get it for $20 after rebates! The price is $59.99, there's a $29.99 coupon and a $10 rebate. Here's the information from Amazon:

You can also use this promotional code--HLDAYFREE4SD--for a $29.99 discount if you purchase one of the following higher-capacity memory cards:

* Viking 64 MB Secure Digital card
* Viking 128 MB Secure Digital card

If the coupon doesn't work, call Amazon at (800) 201-7575 and ask them to apply the coupon.

On closer reading, it appears that you only get this deal if you also buy a digital camera that takes SD memory. I know a couple of people who have used this without buying a camera, but that doesn't seem to be the intent.

However, even without the $30 off, you're still getting a 128 MB SD card for $50.

Sorry for any confusion,
Steve

surfaday
12-08-2002, 09:16 AM
I started with a 128 meg CF card for my ipaq 3835. (With sleeve, of course). I got an Sandisk 128 meg SD card from Costco for about $70 if I remember correctly.

SD card is very slow. It sometimes locks up my ipaq. I now use a combination of SD and CF card, storing things like movie trailers and music on the CF card so as not to have it be very slow, and things like docs and books on the SD card.

I am thinking of abandoning the SD card altogether, going with a larger CF card, and living with the bulkiness of the sleeve.

I am disapointed in the SD card.

Walt

Janak Parekh
12-08-2002, 07:26 PM
I started with a 128 meg CF card for my ipaq 3835. (With sleeve, of course). I got an Sandisk 128 meg SD card from Costco for about $70 if I remember correctly.
There are known problems with the 3800 series and SD cards. The 3900 and future units have fixed the performance and stability issues.

I have the same problem with my 3870. SD can be very fast if implemented properly.

--bdj

kagayaki1
12-08-2002, 07:35 PM
I've had great success running 225kb/s DivX movies off my 128MB Sandisk Card, and that's probably about the most data I would ever be streaming off my card at any time. So, even the 1-bit bus issue is not such a big deal with me and my 3870. I guess if you were running apps of the card this could be a bigger problem.

-Jason

jojaboi
12-08-2002, 07:49 PM
Just wondering if anybody else is having problems with thier sd slot on the 3975. I've had the ipaq for bout 3 mo and the 256 mb sandisk sd card for bout 2 mo and now the connectors don't seem to make good contact. The other day my alarm did'nt go off (a song stored on said card played by wmp via super alert) so I opened file explorer and found that my storage card file was not there. Upon touching the card, while still in the slot, with slight pressure, I noticed that the file popped back up immediately. I then took the card out and put it back in and haven't noticed the problem since but, am still worried about what may have caused such a problem and whether it may happen again. I must say I have been very disapointed with compaq. problems I've encountered include: dust under touch pad, insufficient sd slot, spontaneous on/off, backlight failure on power on, fast power drain (all on 3835). brown tint on white screen, time loss, and my new sd slot problem if that's the case (all on 3975) :x

thanks,
Brandon

guilmon
12-09-2002, 06:01 AM
I though someone who said something was named steve, for I am not steve, I am Guilmon. And I am still WAY too lazy.

PhatCohiba
12-09-2002, 01:49 PM
I've had great success running 225kb/s DivX movies off my 128MB Sandisk Card, and that's probably about the most data I would ever be streaming off my card at any time. So, even the 1-bit bus issue is not such a big deal with me and my 3870. I guess if you were running apps of the card this could be a bigger problem.

-Jason

My performance on my 3850 is similar. (actually I use 180-200 kb/s) What audio compressioin are you using?

-john

Pony99CA
12-10-2002, 09:19 AM
I though someone who said something was named steve, for I am not steve, I am Guilmon. And I am still WAY too lazy.
Get Takato to help you.

Steve