View Full Version : Coming tomorrow...TextMaker

Jason Dunn
12-02-2002, 04:38 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.softmaker.de/tmp_en.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.softmaker.de/tmp_en.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Tomorrow, December the 2nd, we'll have a very special offer for all Thoughts readers: we've made arrangements with SoftMaker to give you a $5 off coupon when purchasing TextMaker, and an affiliate cut to help support the site. What is TextMaker? Only the first real word processor for the Pocket PC ever to be released. :D Watch for the announcement first thing tomorrow morning...

mookie123
12-02-2002, 05:27 AM
Wow this thing is a serious monster, 6MB storage plus 3MB running space. It has more feature than my first windows wordprocessor. Very scarry. It even has a Norwegian spell checker!.. yikes.

(Now all I need is a keyboard a monkey and an infinite amount of time. ..... all the hard work I need for that next great American novel.... :lol: )

Duncan
12-02-2002, 05:46 AM
Jason,

Superb, fanatastic, wonderful - can't wait! I've been using the various Textmaker betas for a while now and I have to say - it is genuinely possible to use the program (with a PDA keyboard) instead of MS Word! I've designed several worksheets, written letters and all sorts with this prog - if they don't sweep the boards at the next PPC Awards there will be no justice!

Full featured WP, Monopoly, Age of Empires, Pocket Informant 3.4 - never felt better owning a Pocket PC! Palm may have more programs than the PPC - but feel the quality of what we have available now...

Documents to Go has been the one thing that Palm has genuinely had to lord over the PPC - not any longer!

ipaq adam
12-02-2002, 05:51 AM
I've been debating whether or not to buy this software, but this offer seals the deal. The betas were great. I can't believe they packed so many great featured into my pocket!

Hugh Nano
12-02-2002, 06:08 AM
Drat! Missed out on the chance to save $5 and support my favorite Pocket PC web-site. :( I already pre-ordered TextMaker. I too have been working with the betas, and it is indeed a very good program. Had a couple of issues with loading HTML files, and was marginally disappointed in the lack of a paragraph-style drop-down selection box, but hopefully those will have been fixed in tomorrow's final release--and everything else was absolutely wonderful! Footnotes, outlining, background spell-checking, smart quotes--you name it, this program has it! If you do any amount of serious word-processing on your Pocket PC with an external keyboard, you need this program! Ever since the last beta expired, I've found myself checking and rechecking the SoftMaker web-site to see if they've released the final version yet. It's so wonderful to finally have a real word-processing program for the Pocket PC! Thank you SoftMaker! And, to everyone else who is debating whether or not to buy this program (it is rather high-priced), BUY IT! You're in for a real treat! :way to go:

Sheynk
12-02-2002, 06:34 AM
Wow.....all those features would probably convince me to get a keyboard for my ppc, but 50 bucks for ppc software. Not for this highschooler....although it would be VERY nice. :( I just dont have enough $$$ right now....saving every cent for my car :D

bbarker
12-02-2002, 07:25 AM
This is an excellent product. The only feature I'd like that it doesn't seem to have is multiple columns. I know they don't make sense on a Pocket PC screen, but I'd like to create a document with columns and later tweak and print it on my PC. But that's a minor point. The product is highly recommended.

SoftMaker
12-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Drat! Missed out on the chance to save $5 and support my favorite Pocket PC web-site. :( I already pre-ordered TextMaker. I too have been working with the betas, and it is indeed a very good program. Had a couple of issues with loading HTML files, and was marginally disappointed in the lack of a paragraph-style drop-down selection box, but hopefully those will have been fixed in tomorrow's final release--and everything else was absolutely wonderful! Footnotes, outlining, background spell-checking, smart quotes--you name it, this program has it! If you do any amount of serious word-processing on your Pocket PC with an external keyboard, you need this program! Ever since the last beta expired, I've found myself checking and rechecking the SoftMaker web-site to see if they've released the final version yet. It's so wonderful to finally have a real word-processing program for the Pocket PC! Thank you SoftMaker! And, to everyone else who is debating whether or not to buy this program (it is rather high-priced), BUY IT! You're in for a real treat! :way to go:
Pre-order customers got the five-language translation dictionary as a goodie instead.

A paragraph-style dropdown is in the software, it's just not on the toolbars by default. Do a Customize Control Strips and drag the control to one of your toolbars (you might want to create a new toolbar first or remove some controls from an existing toolbar to make room).

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

SoftMaker
12-02-2002, 09:53 AM
This is an excellent product. The only feature I'd like that it doesn't seem to have is multiple columns. I know they don't make sense on a Pocket PC screen, but I'd like to create a document with columns and later tweak and print it on my PC. But that's a minor point. The product is highly recommended.
TextMaker supports multiple columns. Click on Format/Section to find out more.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Hugh Nano
12-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Pre-order customers got the five-language translation dictionary as a goodie instead.

True. I must say, I am looking forward to that! :D

A paragraph-style dropdown is in the software, it's just not on the toolbars by default. Do a Customize Control Strips and drag the control to one of your toolbars (you might want to create a new toolbar first or remove some controls from an existing toolbar to make room).

Ah, is it working as a drop-down now and not just as a button? Great! I was hoping it would be!

Oh, the agony of having to wait until tomorrow to download my favorite word-processor! Pocket PC readers, you are lucky!

Thanks again, Martin and SoftMaker!

bostonnerd
12-02-2002, 04:24 PM
I ordered through the affiliate link this morning, but did not get an option to download. Is the link sent via email after credit card approval?

SoftMaker
12-02-2002, 04:36 PM
I ordered through the affiliate link this morning, but did not get an option to download. Is the link sent via email after credit card approval?
Yes. The order system still needs manual intervention for CC approval. We are working on that.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

willowpc
12-02-2002, 06:41 PM
I am also still waiting for an email confirmation / download link.

SoftMaker
12-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Ah, is it working as a drop-down now and not just as a button? Great! I was hoping it would be!

Thanks again, Martin and SoftMaker!

Both are possible. Depends on WHICH button you drag to the control strip.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Hugh Nano
12-02-2002, 07:55 PM
Pre-orders came today! And the paragraph drop-down list is indeed fixed! What a great day for word-processing on the Pocket PC!