View Full Version : Anyone still use a CASIO device?

butch
12-01-2002, 09:17 PM
Just to know if i'm the only one.

I have never see the screen of the iPAQ 39xx serie nor the new Axim X5, but I thing none of the screen have see (e740, 3600, 3800, jornada...) is as good as the one on my E-115 I have for 2½ years now. Exept in direct sunlight. The Dell is the first one i may consider for an upgrade, but I will wait to see if they may a model with integrated WiFi...

What do you think?

ThomasC22
12-01-2002, 09:26 PM
In my subjective opinion, I still don't think any of the Transflective screens are as good as the old Casios indoors.

But they're close enough for me...(iPaqs are better than Dells though)

butch
12-01-2002, 09:37 PM
In my subjective opinion, I still don't think any of the Transflective screens are as good as the old Casios indoors.

But they're close enough for me...(iPaqs are better than Dells though)

Thanks! My sister ordered an Axim last week, so I will compare to the dell. FutureShop don't have any 39xx so I can't compare. I don't like the iPAQ because I always have a CF or my FiWi card and they are BIG with the sleeve. But the newer with integrated WiFi may worth it, I will only need the sleeve when viewing picture from my CF. But, how much will it cost here in Canada....

Thanks

ThomasC22
12-01-2002, 09:48 PM
I should probably say that the iPaq screens aren't THAT much better than the Axims and the Axim is still a lot better than say...the iPaq 38xx series.

I think, having had one for almost 5 days now, that the Axim would probably do fine for you (jogdial still not as good as the Casio's but what can you do)

ECOslin
12-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Sold my Casio E105 with good battery life for an Audiovox Maestro with poor battery life.

Edward

jornadaholic
12-02-2002, 12:58 AM
im not too sure on this but i think i remeber reading somewhere that casio is pulling out of the pocket pc field... soo unless im wrong you wont be seeing a casio w/ integrated wifi
another device gone the way of the jornada :cry:

butch
12-02-2002, 01:01 AM
im not too sure on this but i think i remeber reading somewhere that casio is pulling out of the pocket pc field... soo unless im wrong you wont be seeing a casio w/ integrated wifi
another device gone the way of the jornada :cry:

I know, I was talking about the rumored Dell Axim X7 :D

butch
12-02-2002, 01:02 AM
Sold my Casio E105 with good battery life for an Audiovox Maestro with poor battery life.

Edward

That a good point for the Dell that the iPAQ don't have, a removable battery

yvilla
12-02-2002, 02:58 AM
A Toshiba e550G is now my primary PPC, but I am unable to completely give up my beloved E-125. If I ever look at them both at the same time, I get a little sick--the Casio display is so much better.

The only real reason I made the move to the Toshiba was to be able to read outside--as you probably all know, the Casio HAST screen utterly sacrifices outdoor readability for its gorgeous indoor display. But while all the aspersions about the Casio being a "brick" never bothered me at all, because its such a great PPC, now that I have the Toshiba I'm really liking its slimness!

cherring
01-01-2003, 02:35 AM
i have yet to find a better device

ppcsurfr
01-13-2003, 12:27 PM
I still use m Cassiopeia E-200. I think I'll be using it a little longer than expected.

I still don't see any sign of the new Cassiopeias... looks like there won't be any... but then again... who knows... I was lookiing at the Japanese site of Casio... and not being able to read Japanese... I just clicked on everything I could click on. It brought me to the Museo page... which apparently is being used by NTT DoCoMo. So is the NTT DoCoMo Museo a Cassiopeia? Looks like it. Well it looks cool and a lot smaller than the E-200. I just hope that unit carries forward as a proof that Casio is here to stay.

Anyway... I still have not ffound an PPC that can do what my Cassiopeia can do today.

ppcsurfr

darren
01-15-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm using my Cassiopeia EM-500, and still think it excellent.
I like its HAST screen and Mobile Calendar, which is not so complicated as Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant.

But so far I haven't found a nifty case for my Cassiopeia... :cry:

butch
01-15-2003, 02:56 PM
But so far I haven't found a nifty case for my Cassiopeia... :cry:

I have one from www.ebcases.com for my E115, I think they have some for your EM500

lipinski77
01-15-2003, 04:53 PM
I am still using the Casio E200. I probably will be for a while.
i would like to get the PC Card unit but since they are no longer making these I decided not to spend any more money in an End of Life product. :cry:

I am waiting for a PPCPE that has all the stuff that I want on a PPC. i.e. SD, CF, WiFi and a large amount of internal memory... Of course, I would also not like to pay an arm and a leg for this. :wink:

lombard0
01-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Been using this for years. Mostly for wireless access and sometimes for CF and SM cards using an adapter.

Check out this link:

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/Casio/RalphL/CassieCompanion.htm

Oregon Trail
01-16-2003, 05:30 AM
I am still finding more uses for my E-125. It is more solidly built than many of the other PDA'S. Although I may switch to another PDA when the 2003 operating system comes out, it will be because there are more uses and updated programs. My only complaint about the E-125 is it's weight. Some of the newer PDA'S are 1/3 or more lighter. Anyone know where I can get another battery? :D

darren
01-17-2003, 12:27 PM
I have one from www.ebcases.com for my E115, I think they have some for your EM500[/quote]

I've checked this site but I couldn't find a satisfying case for my Cassiopeia.

I prefer this style of case, not including the color anyway.
See, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/reviewimages/parekh-jan03-medion-3M.JPG

Is there any that kind of case like that for my Casio?

darren
01-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I have one from www.ebcases.com for my E115, I think they have some for your EM500

I've checked this site but I couldn't find a satisfying case for my Cassiopeia.

I prefer this style of case, not including the color anyway.
See, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/reviewimages/parekh-jan03-medion-3M.JPG

Is there any that kind of case like that for my Casio?

welmoed
01-18-2003, 07:29 PM
I still use my Pocket Brain (otherwise known as my Casio E125) daily. The newest accessory for it is an Arkon cupholder mount for my car. Now I can load MP3's onto a CF card and listen to interesting stuff through the cassette adaptor on long drives, rather than the dreck that comes over the airwaves.

I also have the CF camera, mainly for the novelty factor rather than the quality of the pictures. It's come in handy at furniture stores where the staff can get antsy about having stuff photographed; this way I can usually manage to sneak a quick picture without attracting undue attention.

I have a wifi card for it too, and one of the neatest things to do is sit in the living room controlling the Audiotron with my PPC. Talk about a multifunction remote!

Yes, I would love to upgrade at some point, but for now it just ain't broke enough to replace. If the X7 turns out to be a really must-have device I might pass the E125 on to my teenager.

--Welmoed

johncruise
01-19-2003, 04:09 AM
I still use my E-200. There has to be a great deal of change on the Pocket PC before I decided to call it quits with my very reliable E-200.

DrtyBlvd
02-03-2003, 04:15 PM
What the well-dressed Casio wears...

http://www.vajacases.com/

...expensive but worth every penny. :lol:

TonyTiger
04-21-2003, 04:29 PM
I started with an E-100 which I loved. But Casio's lack of commitment made me give it up after 3 1/2 years. The 125 and the 200 didn't do enough for me. :? I now use a Toshiba 740 (built in WIFi). I miss that Casio's screen! Even at 16 megs I was able to add the IBM 1Gig Microdrive for ample data storage.

Final verdict not yet in. :?

davidspalding
04-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Bought my E-125 a year ago, and it's indispensable. I use the dictionaries, the eNews (Avantsuck, Mobipocket), Pocket IE mobile favs, text files, et al, daily. I might want something i could put memory AND a wifi card in later, but for now, it does all i need it to do.

Oregon Trail
04-22-2003, 02:43 AM
I have had my E-125 since 10/2001. My only complaint is the weight. Newer PPC's are about 1/2 the weight. Not sure what I will get when this one dies.

Chris Spera
04-22-2003, 05:44 PM
I just purchased an E200 on eBay.

I have 4 Pocket PC's:

iPAQ 5455 (main PDA)
iPAQ 3955 (modified to 128MB by PPCTechs)
Toshiba e-310 (modified to 128MB by PPCTechs)
Casio E200

I wanted the Casio for a couple of reasons. It has USB Host capabilities via cradle pass-thru; and it has both CF and SD slots. I am using it as a development target for database apps that I am writing.

If and when HP decides to release a Pocket PC 2003 ROM update for the 5455, that will get updated.

The iPAQ 3955 will likely NOT get updated to PPC 2003 so that I have an XScale processor machine with PPC 2002. Both the e-310 and E200 are discontinued, which is too bad. I bought the e-310 when it was current... I'll probably hold on to it because its so slim and easy to carry.

I know the E200 is a lame duck and will likely not get a PPC 2003 update from Casio; but that's ok. I started out my PsPC to PPC Adventure with a Casio E-11. I wanted the E200 because of that too.

Christopher Spera

powder2000
05-01-2003, 10:25 PM
I went through an aero 1520, jornada 525, ipaq 3135, toshiba e570 and now my beautiful eg-800. I know this is very much the same as the e-125, but the screens on these are way better than any of the past that I have used. The button layout can't be beat and the sound quality through the speaker is excellent, IMHO. In my opinion the e570 screen sucked a**, by far the worst screen I have ever used. I would have stayed with it if it was brighter, but it wasn't. How often can you say you have downgraded to a better pocket pc. I will be sticking with my eg until it dies.

Gerard
05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Ditto that on the button layout for gaming and just general use, and the EG-800 screen is significantly better than my notebook PC TFT screen for photo retouching and other fussy graphical work. With a WriteShield screen protector, that quality is undimished, and will last a long time. A keyboard is essential if one does a lot of writing with the EG-800 though, as I easily killed two by the sheer volume of my input. The dreaded digitizer spikes showed up in spite of using the very nice Casio screen protectors always. I write a lot. The Stowaway has saved this EG from the same fate (well, not exactly, as those were replaced on warranty, and that's expired now...).
If these are being offered anywhere new or nearly-new, even though there tend to be a number of problems with quality if some elements (the so-called 'seals' being especially silly and useless, and the Action wheel acting kind of funny if one uses it to scroll, and others), I'd say grab them if the price is anything below that if a new 38xx iPAQ. A bargain at USD$400 or less. I paid full retail, back in November of 2001, and have been served well enough that I feel I got more than my money's worth.
For web stuff, I use a 3835 mostly these days. But for fun and for anything requiring a decent screen, like ebooks, graphics stuff, movies, slideshows, or even for web browsing when wanting better graphics and better fit-to-screen, the EG-800 gets a regular workout.

ddwire
06-25-2003, 07:41 PM
My E-200 has been great, I bought mine in June 2002 after using a Philips Nino 312 for 4 years. Main reason for purchase was the usb host. Lame Casio decides to quit pocket pc and no drivers developed (phones, printers, monitors etc.) If I upgrade it will be to a CDMA phone edition.
Dan

moaske
08-18-2003, 08:06 PM
I will be sticking with my eg until it dies.
Hahaha, wanna make bets on who dies first ? You or the machine ? ;)
Anyway, i just got myself one (an EG800) through eBay aswel for the real bargain of $135,- 8O and i abslutely love it !
I also started the winCE adventure with a Casio E11 and got myself a long range of casio's from that day forward. Until Casio dropped the PPC line after the E200 (my last new Casio).
But i always remembered the ultimate gaming-button-layout of the older E-series ! And i have that back now ! Together with bomb-proof/shower-proof characteristics AND a better screen than the 115/125 models. Have you EG users noticed that the EG's screen is somehow sort of semi-transflective ? I found it to be more than readable outdoors in full sunlight (and let me tell y'all that we've just experienced a real heat-wave over here in europe).

Vow: i'll never ever abandon Casio completely ! ;)

lisantica
08-18-2003, 08:20 PM
I had an E-125 at one time and have always missed the software that it had internally. It was a calendar program that showed a spiral-type notebook looking view. I wish Casio would sell that program. It was simple, but I liked it.

Lisa

Gerard
08-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Bright sun is fine with the EG-800 if you can turn to just the right angle. But try using it in bright sun with a CF camera. Held in anything away from about 10° off sun-over-shoulder and it's just dark. I lived with that a long time. Now I'm glad of the brilliance of the 3835's milky blue screen when using it outside.

moaske
08-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Bright sun is fine with the EG-800 if you can turn to just the right angle. But try using it in bright sun with a CF camera. Held in anything away from about 10° off sun-over-shoulder and it's just dark. I lived with that a long time. Now I'm glad of the brilliance of the 3835's milky blue screen when using it outside.
Well, i think the visibilty is absolutely acceptable in direct sunlight for this kind of screen...look at this:
http://www.foto.demon.nl/eg800_sunlight.jpg
But i agree that a re-/trans-flective screen is way better outside, on the other hand this has been the greatest gameboy i ever owned indoors :D

ddwire
08-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Moaske, why is your E-200 in the grave yard? I just purchased a new pc card pack with battery for $41.00 on ebay. I now have 3 slots and 1800mah battery capacity in a package smaller than an Ipaq with a sleeve. Now I just need a good deal on a Sierra Wireless air card 55x Vision card from Sprint and I will have a phone to boot.
:D
Dan

moaske
08-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Moaske, why is your E-200 in the grave yard? Dan
Retired would be a nicer word... It's just my lttle row of devices no longer in my possesion. The 'current' section is what i own right now, not necessarily in use evry day though ;)
Somehow the E200 did not appeal to me enough. I chose to replace it by my Loox last year because of the Bluetooth and the much sexier design :D
Last few months i've been into retro-mode and scourching eBay for the real classics, like my HP720 and EG800 :mrgreen:
I always regreted selling the previous devices... :|

johncruise
08-19-2003, 10:38 PM
I now have 3 slots and 1800mah battery capacity in a package smaller than an Ipaq with a sleeve.

Hey Dan.... I'm interested where you got the 1800mah battery. The normal one that came with the pc card unit actually is just a 950mah (I just checked it). I'm interested on getting that one also if it's available somewhere.

Thanks,

johncruise
08-19-2003, 10:57 PM
forget about my last inquiries... I just realized that you meant '950mah x 2 (one for the pc card unit and one for the e-200)==1800mah' :lol:

ddwire
08-20-2003, 05:05 PM
John you are right I will actually have 1900 mah with the two batteries put together as they are 950mah not 900.

I hope I don't have the problem you have with the pc card unit comming unattached. I have problems keeping cables connected to the serial connector on my 20 pin adapter(JK744cv) My Tom Tom GPS cable comes un connected frequently. I have been using small rubber bands to keep things secure.
Dan

Jean
08-23-2003, 07:36 AM
I have an E200 and have been wanting to hook up to my cell phone. In mobile planet they have pda to cell phone cables for HP that are compatible with my cell phone (LG 5350) but none for casio or universal use. :( I love my E200 but I hate how hard it is to find accessories. I can't see spending a ton of money to have a bluetooth equipped cell phone or a Sprint (CDMA/1xRTT) with a monthly plan when I am already paying for a cell phone plan. I already have a 56k cf modem but I have to use it with a land line. All I want is a connection between the two for a reasonable price. Who's with me?

ddwire
08-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Jean, That phone has both serial and usb interface. You just need the 20 pin host converter (JK744CV) and (RS232) serial adapter and you cn connect your LG phone to Sprint high speed internet.

I use those two accessories to connect my older Motorola Time port 8767 to my E-200. I can only connect at 14.4 with that phone but it works ok for email.
I wish some one could write a driver so I could hook up my Sanyo 4900 USB phone so I could have High speed connection too.
Dan

delfuhd
09-20-2003, 11:56 PM
My Casio E-115 was amazing. Amazing stylus, amazing screen, amazing durability. It makes WinCE2000 look good. The backlight on my old e115 flutters on and off and seems unstable, so I don't use it much, otherwise I'd still use it for many things today. Man that thing was durable lol.

butch
10-10-2003, 04:28 AM
My Casio E-115 was amazing. Amazing stylus, amazing screen, amazing durability. It makes WinCE2000 look good. The backlight on my old e115 flutters on and off and seems unstable, so I don't use it much, otherwise I'd still use it for many things today. Man that thing was durable lol.

I had the exact same problem on my E115... I'm now using a 2215 I got for free to replace it under warranty... :-)

powder2000
10-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Is there a cf phone card that has drivers for a ppc2000 device. I noticed that
the ones I have looked at are only for arm processors or newer os's. What gives, I would love to get one for my eg. I'm also glad to see this thread still going. These are definitely fun ppc's to own with a quite a few people still using them.

yvilla
10-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Socket's Digital Phone cards have drivers for PPC 2000 devices. http://socketcom.com/product/dpc_card.asp

You do have to drill down through the pages to find the one for your particular phone before you get to look at the available drivers though.

bmurphy
09-25-2004, 04:42 AM
I've had my e-125 for 3 yrs now, and I love it. I use it for e-books and havn't had any trouble with it. I use MS reader (unfortunately not upgraded) and Palm reader (latest), and need to put in a bigger cf card (used up 64mb). The screen is so good and clear. The only thing that is holding me back is that I can't upgrade the OS. I love the keyboard, and use that to reply to e-mails where ever I am in the house, not stuck to the computer room. Wifi is what it needs! but does it work?