View Full Version : Profs and their Pocket PC's

Janak Parekh
11-30-2002, 11:04 PM
I'd like a program that will let me input a brief description of one of my students (e.g. 'spotty, spiky haircut, slouches a lot') and have it pull up a selection of names and photos to help me remember who they are... I can dream...! :wink:
I would find this useful too, except that I don't know how one could make the UI fast enough. It would be more embarrassing to be in front of the class paging through 80 names on your Pocket PC...

I'm a big proponent of learning names as a teacher, so my strategy has been to make a fool of myself the first few weeks. In fact, I found it to be a good thing -- it humanized me in my students' eyes. :)

--bdj

Duncan
11-30-2002, 11:15 PM
I'm a big proponent of learning names as a teacher, so my strategy has been to make a fool of myself the first few weeks.

Hmmm... I'm a big propronent of the theory that if they hate you by Christmas they'll like you by Easter (I'm a total b'tard for the first few months... I've even given a detention on the first day of the school year!). Learning names is impossible - but keeping table plans (on my Pocket PC naturally!) - and informing all my students that they are all to be called Fred from then on (girls included) - helps! :wink:

(I still have nightmares of my first Parents' Evening when a couple spotted I was between appointments, came and sat down and announced: 'Hi! We're John's parents' and, when asked for a little more info got upset with me and said - obviously thinking this would help - 'You know - John - our son who you teach!' :roll: )

yawanag
11-30-2002, 11:16 PM
I'd like a program that would allow me to enter a brief description of one of my students.

I'm beta testing a program called "Flex Wallet" I think you'll like it.

Duncan
11-30-2002, 11:17 PM
Don't tease!!! Tell more! :D

yawanag
11-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Don't tease!!! Tell more! :D

I don't know if this was meant for me or not but if you're talking about my beta testing "Flex Wallet" It's a product of Two Peaks and can be found at http://www.twopeaks.com. It's the first program you see pictured. This app. is "smokin" for anybody who wants to keep track of anything on your PPC.

I now have all my vital info in the overused cliche "in the palm of my hand."

mookie123
11-30-2002, 11:44 PM
I'd like a program that would allow me to enter a brief description of one of my students.

I'm beta testing a program called "Flex Wallet" I think you'll like it.

I really hope that apps doesn't have application to insert little digicam portrait.

I am way paranoid with professor who does that. If he doesn't know me from natural interaction, he is way to dangerous to know as a normal person. Who knows what he gonna use all those data compiled.

This is specially true for those sociology type of lecturers. Notoriously known for doing un-announced data collection.

Digital data never die, and it can be efficiently analyzed, disseminated and copied. Worst, there is no laws protecting the use of such personal data in University setting.

Duncan
12-01-2002, 12:03 AM
I really hope that apps doesn't have application to insert little digicam portrait.

I am way paranoid with professor who does that. If he doesn't know me from natural interaction, he is way to dangerous to know as a normal person.

I teach 650 students in a single week. Pictures would be INCREDIBLY useful for me!

mookie123
12-01-2002, 01:25 AM
I teach 650 students in a single week. Pictures would be INCREDIBLY useful for me!

I have this one prof. that makes us line up in his office, and take awfull pictures with his digicam and put it on his web page, for the rest of the planet to see. eeeckkk......!

can you promise at least get a decent picture taking skill? :D

Duncan
12-01-2002, 02:12 AM
I'd like a program that will let me input a brief description of one of my students (e.g. 'spotty, spiky haircut, slouches a lot') and have it pull up a selection of names and photos to help me remember who they are... I can dream...! :wink:

cholcomb
12-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Duncan,

list what else you would like this program to do (track grades, attitude problems, etc...) and I'll write it for you. should take about 2 weeks for a beta. Only one catch... it will be in .Net, so if you don't have the compact framework loaded on your PDA then you will have to let the install program put it on there. If you like it then we can write you a desktop version to sync with.

Janak Parekh
12-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Hmmm... I'm a big propronent of the theory that if they hate you by Christmas they'll like you by Easter (I'm a total b'tard for the first few months... I've even given a detention on the first day of the school year!).
Ah, but you see, I teach college students. :)

What you ideally need is an app that plugs into a pair of glasses or something, plus a headset, so when you look at the person it does image recognition and reads their name out to you in your ear. :D

--bdj

Rirath
12-01-2002, 05:47 PM
What you ideally need is an app that plugs into a pair of glasses or something, plus a headset, so when you look at the person it does image recognition and reads their name out to you in your ear.

And of course tells you if they're marked for death or not, Terminator style. Be sure to get the wrist strap pencil launcher accessory.

mookie123
12-01-2002, 06:15 PM
Duncan,

list what else you would like this program to do (track grades, attitude problems, etc...) and I'll write it for you. should take about 2 weeks for a beta. Only one catch... it will be in .Net, so if you don't have the compact framework loaded on your PDA then you will have to let the install program put it on there. If you like it then we can write you a desktop version to sync with.

why stop with only student description tho?

might as well combine it also with grading database

Somebody teacher post a list of request on below link, but nobody responded. (bad forum)
http://forums.pdabuzz.net/showthread.php?s=caae5b7bcd80aa0141992a5fd3b5af27&threadid=16866&highlight=student+grade

ThomasC22
12-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Actually I would think there is a big market for this if someone created a product (with gradebook integrated).

Coming from both sides (I am the MIS manager at a place with a non-public school and a full time student) I could see it as being useful.

But especially for smaller schools, we are getting more and more pressure from the school districts to keep grades computerized which is hard because, well, you find a school that has enough money to outfit all it's teachers with computers.

So, setting them each up with a PocketPC and PocketKeyboard would be perfect!

ThomasC22
12-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Oh, and as for interface, you could have a series of drop down boxes with values like Race, Aprox. Age, Hair Color, Eye Color, Class Time, etc...that would allow the teachers to call up the person fairly quickly.

Janak Parekh
12-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Oh, and as for interface, you could have a series of drop down boxes with values like Race, Aprox. Age, Hair Color, Eye Color, Class Time, etc...that would allow the teachers to call up the person fairly quickly.
Not real-time though. Especially in a class of 100 or so... describing facial features is what you need, and it ain't so easy. :(

--bdj

lderooy
12-22-2002, 05:15 AM
I teach in college and have several classes with several students. I combine PicturePerfect (www.applian.com) and existing pictures from my students (compliments of a campus database from studentIDs) to give me a slide show of students in my class with their name. It helps me memorize their names (kind of like flash cards).

jet8810
12-22-2002, 10:03 PM
I am a student who uses his Toshiba e740 a lot during school. I have a (brand new) keyboard which I am going to start using to take notes and edit reports, and use a myrad of software to help me keep track of assignments, archive assignments, keep track of my average and GPA, ect. Very useful!