View Full Version : How Do You People Do It?

Jason Dunn
11-29-2002, 08:00 PM
I'm now officially XDA-less. :cry: I sent my XDA off to the upgrade wizards at <a href="http://www.ppctechs.com">PPC Techs</a> to get the RAM upgraded to 128 MB. The 32 MB of RAM was just killing me - even when I installed everything I could to the SD card, I found that with some games like Snails I didn't have enough program memory free. 128 MB of RAM should do quite nicely. 8) <br /><br />I've become so addicted to the connected state of my Pocket PC it depresses me to load up my HP 565 and use it. :lol: I'll take this XDA-less time to write a few thoughts about how having a connected device has changed the way I use my Pocket PC. But not right away...now I need some mourning time. :wink:

Janak Parekh
11-29-2002, 08:15 PM
Jason - get a Bluetooth CF card and a T68(i) to help you cope with the mourning. :) Pocket Informant even supports BT dialing now. I haven't tried it, because BT often requires that soft reset on my 3870. When I get my 5450, though, I plan to utilize the "semi-connected" device. ;)

I've noticed the allure of the PPC PE, though. My friend, who was a big T68 fan, never thought he'd switch his phone; within two days he was using only the PPC PE and ditched his T68. He hasn't looked back. :)

--bdj

Mike Wagstaff
11-29-2002, 08:40 PM
It's been months now and I still can't get over just how good the xda is - HTC should be commended for doing such a superb job. Its only major flaw is the 32 MB, which is why I'm hoping for the arrival of an SD card fairly soon... :)

palmsolo
11-29-2002, 09:11 PM
I also have a Jornada 568, but it has been spending less time in my hands now that I have a T-Mobile Sidekick. While it is mono and limited as a PDA it rocks for surfing, emailing, and AIM. If the PPCPE had unlimited data like this baby then I may have went with it. Another big seller for me is the awesome keyboard, which I am using to send this reply and have gotten over 45 wpm on.

orinoco
11-29-2002, 09:36 PM
Jason:

I did the upgrade to 64 MB. Your PPCPE will be back before you know it, so don't worry. Take this time to learn to appreciate it and not take it for granted !!!

Enjoy your upgrade. Its every bit as good as it seems...

Fernando

Santa Fe
11-29-2002, 11:14 PM
I've been going back and forth on being a one device or two device person. I'm probably not going to take my PDA phone on a mountain bike or horseback ride where for saftey I will take a cell phone. But....being connected wirelessly with my PDA sure is appealing. So many toys so little time (& $).

Jason Dunn
11-30-2002, 01:02 AM
If the PPCPE had unlimited data like this baby then I may have went with it.

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have unlimited data through Fido network (http://www.fido.ca), which absolutely rocks! I'm able to check things as often as I want online without having to worry about the charges. :rock on dude!:

Janak Parekh
11-30-2002, 03:07 AM
palmsolo, the other cool thing about the Sidekick is its ability to sign onto AIM and stay online and receive messages continuously. If you were to do that with the PPCPE, the battery would drain out in no time. :(

I was seriously tempted by the Sidekick, but it's lack of full Outlook sync is a killer. I need that feature. Unless I carry both a Pocket PC and a Sidekick, but it's too bulky for that. My friend has it though, and it's one neat device, I have to admit.

--bdj

Santa Fe
11-30-2002, 03:29 AM
OK Jason you have me interested in FIDO. I think it is available in Santa Fe. Which plan do you have for your XDA?

Santa Fe
11-30-2002, 03:31 AM
Actually it is not available except for roaming at .20/minute if I read their ad correctly.

Jason Dunn
11-30-2002, 03:51 AM
OK Jason you have me interested in FIDO. I think it is available in Santa Fe. Which plan do you have for your XDA?

You'd have to move to Canada. :wink:

Paragon
11-30-2002, 05:26 AM
There is only one reason I haven't sent my XDA to have the RAM upgraded. I can't stand to be without it for that long!!

Unlimited GPRS is very cool isn't it Jason!? I am with Rogers. I'm getting a little worried though. I have heard some rumors they may back off their unlimited offer at the end of each 6 month contract. Up til now they have just been rolling them over. I'm using 20-30mb a month...may need to look at a second mortgage. :)

Dave

Mobile Bob
11-30-2002, 06:35 AM
Jason - get a Bluetooth CF card and a T68(i) to help you cope with the mourning. :) Pocket Informant even supports BT dialing now. I haven't tried it, because BT often requires that soft reset on my 3870. When I get my 5450, though, I plan to utilize the "semi-connected" device. ;)

I've noticed the allure of the PPC PE, though. My friend, who was a big T68 fan, never thought he'd switch his phone; within two days he was using only the PPC PE and ditched his T68. He hasn't looked back. :)

--bdj

You're right, BDJ. That setup would help Jason cope with the mourning. I have both a T-Mobile XDA and a T68i that I connect to a Toshiba e740 with a Socket BT CF Card. While I favor the XDA, I love both arrangements, and couldn't think of parting with either one. Different situations occur all the time that favor one arrangement over the other.

I've been thinking of sending my XDA in for a RAM expansion. Probably will do so early next year. I know Dale Coffing loves his XDA even more after adding more RAM, and it sounds like PPC Techs do a first rate job with everything they do. I'll be interested in reading Jason's review (which could prompt me to send it in earlier than planned).