View Full Version : Dell Axim vs. Toshiba e335

solus
11-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Looking for my first PDA. I can't decide between getting a Toshiba e335 from my local store NOW, or ordering a Dell Axim (400mhz version) online. They will both cost me the same (~$299.99) after rebates. I know the e335 is 100mhz slower and lacks the CF slot, but is it really worth ordering the Axim online and WAITING for it? How do the screens compare - for those of you that have seen the Axim? Other factors? Thanks for your input.

-Tarak Upadhyaya

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 10:06 PM
Looking for my first PDA. I can't decide between getting a Toshiba e335 from my local store NOW, or ordering a Dell Axim (400mhz version) online. They will both cost me the same (~$299.99) after rebates. I know the e335 is 100mhz slower and lacks the CF slot, but is it really worth ordering the Axim online and WAITING for it? How do the screens compare - for those of you that have seen the Axim? Other factors? Thanks for your input.

Well, here's my take on it. The 100mhz doesn't seem to make that much of a difference from what I've seen (I've seen it make no difference at all in everything but benchmarks). That said...

The Axim has...

- Better Screen
- CF Slot (which is important because CF Memory and Peripherals are still quite a bit cheaper than SD)

The e330 has...

- Thinner Formfactor

Those facts in mind the wait issue might be a serious one for you. You're looking at, at very best, a 2 to 3 week wait for an Axim right now.

But here's where it really gets tricky. The iPaq 1910 has a smaller form factor than the e330 and a better screen than the Axim so you might want to wait for that (supposed to be out before the end of the year).

You picked a really complicated time to make your choice... 8O

solus
11-28-2002, 10:17 PM
From what I know, the iPaq 1910 has a 200Mhz CPU, 64mb, SD only. According to HP's website, its going to be released mid-December. Oof, so many choices. All the same price.

Toshiba e335:
-nice size
-300Mhz
-64mb
-original price: $399; after rebates $349; After-Thanksgiving day sale - $299 :wink:

Dell Axim X5
-a bit bulky...
-400Mhz
-64mb
-better screen than e335
-original price: $349; after rebates $299.

iPaq 1910
-smallest/best form factor
-200Mhz :?
-64mb
-better screen than both e335 and X5
-original price: $299

I'm too analytical to make these kind of decisions. 8O

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Well, you seem to have it pretty much down, the only advice I could really give you is to not put that much weight into the speed of the processor. I've used a 206mhz Strongarm, 200mhz Xscale and 400mhz xscale all together (the iPaq 3850, 1910, and 5450) and in my couple of minutes of speed testing I noticed no difference whatsoever (heh heh teach that HP rep to turn his back on me!)

Plus, if you look at the benchmarks in this Viewsonic V35 review (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/viewsonic_V35.htm), they numbers are all over the scale.

Oh and as for the Axim's bulkyness...I go two ways on this. To me, the device itself is not bulky at all it's very comfortable in my hand (it's essentially the size of a standard iPaq). That said they ship it with a really bulky case and since there are no after market cases just yet the net effect is a lot of bulk in your pocket.

solus
11-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Ok. Yah, those benchmarks are all over the place. I think I'm going to take the iPaq 1910 off my list...
As for the screen differences in the Axim and e335...what kind of differences merit calling Axim's screen "better"? Brighter, dot pitch, clearer...? inside vs outside..? And what effect could this "better" screen have on battery life. I'm guessing it would make battery life shorter, but substantially shorter?

Maybe if I give some info on how I'm going to use this pda: the norms; calander, contacts, tasks, etc.. keeping track of school assignments. as for entertainment: music, games and picture viewing - video playback (400mhz vs. 300mhz might make diff here, no? according to benchmarks). Wait...thats all you can do with PDA's.....that doesn't help does it? 8O <-(me likes this emoticon)

..What exactly is the advantage of CF slots? Cheaper memory...thats it? Other expansions available for CF slots?..might give me insight into whether I'll ever use a CF slot.

Sorry for all the questions. I've done reserach for a few weeks and I've finally narrowed it down. This is really bugging me. I don't want to regret my purchase.

-Tarak Upadhyaya

Cary
11-29-2002, 01:16 AM
I'd like to add one point in the e335's favour ... the e330/e335 have USB Host support. Only in the last week or so, Toshiba has made the USB Host cable available. You can find it on shoptoshiba.com.

I don't know about drivers etc for the USB port but I think having USB Host capability makes the e335 very versatile. You can connect virtually any device today, be it a USB memory key, digital camera, scanner, printer, or even a keyboard/mouse to an e330/e335 via USB. I just hope the driver support is there ...

Anyway, just another thing to consider beyond the typical PDA spec. My Axim was delivered today but I wasn't home to receive it, so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow morning ...

Rirath
11-29-2002, 01:33 AM
I don't know about drivers etc for the USB port but I think having USB Host capability makes the e335 very versatile. You can connect virtually any device today, be it a USB memory key, digital camera, scanner, printer, or even a keyboard/mouse to an e330/e335 via USB. I just hope the driver support is there ...

I Highly doubt this. Same misunderstanding that's been rampant for ages I'd imagine.

And Solus, don't forget there's also the $199 Dell to consider. Quite the price difference to the V35. Personally I think the 100mhz may infact make a difference awhile down the line. If you've got the extra cash, it's well worth it for a 400mhz. For now though, they'll be pretty close. As for CF slots... You've never heard of all the CF based add-ons? There's just about anything you can imagine. With a CF slot and a SD slot, you can use an add on like say, Bluetooth, and still have a mem card in the SD.

kime
11-29-2002, 01:49 AM
Oh and as for the Axim's bulkyness...I go two ways on this. To me, the device itself is not bulky at all it's very comfortable in my hand (it's essentially the size of a standard iPaq). That said they ship it with a really bulky case and since there are no after market cases just yet the net effect is a lot of bulk in your pocket.

hey tom! share with us some of your inputs on the axim...re: performance, looks, etc.. :D

solus
11-29-2002, 03:49 AM
I have heard of CF slot expansions, but I was curious if there was anything beyond bluetooth and additional memory that CF can provide.

If anyone has already recieved their Axim, please fill me (and others) in on how it preforms, and looks - the display, the form factor, etc.

Still a bit unsure...

mookie123
11-29-2002, 04:36 AM
CF is still THE expansion choice for PDA.
-memory is about 1/3 cheaper than SD, second cheapest. It also max out 3GB instead of 512MB.

-things like WiFi !, GPS, video out for presentation, various other ports are only available on CF.

-similar thing on SD are cheaper on SD (eg. SDBT ~$130 vs CFBT $99)

yvilla
11-29-2002, 04:51 AM
Don't forget CF cameras, CF FM radio, CF digital phone cards (connects your cell phone to Pocket PC for internet access).... there are a multitude of CF peripherals!

solus
11-29-2002, 05:48 AM
Sweet. Those CF cards sound awesome. For some reason I'm feeling extremely eager to get a PPC, and am not patient enough to wait for an Axim to get to me - especially if I order now. Plus I'm getting this vibe...telling me that the form factor of the Axim will be annoying to look at. Toshiba's is so simple and clean. But no CF slot...and the screen..? ARg - anyone get their Axim's yet? Fill me in.

Nobody has responded to my question about the screen on the Axim vs. the e335. I know the e335 is a bit unevenly lit - at the top. I've seen it at Best Buy and it looks alright. Is the Axim brighter and easier to read? What about the Axim's screen makes it better?

ThomasC22
11-29-2002, 05:57 AM
hey tom! share with us some of your inputs on the axim...re: performance, looks, etc.. :D

I tried to here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10) but its hard to know what to say since alot has been covered in various reviews.

jeasher
11-29-2002, 07:04 AM
It's actually not that hard of a decision. If the size of the unit is important to you at all, then you should buy a Viewsonic V35. If size doesn't matter, I don't know how you could go wrong with an Axim. The E335 and the H1910 each have their problems.

solus
11-29-2002, 04:34 PM
Made my decision. I'm going with the Axim. Just gotta wait now...

robert_biggs
11-29-2002, 05:59 PM
To answer your question about the screen on the Axim, the Axim, ViewSonic V35, and the iPaq h1910 all have transflective screens which are quickly becoming the preferred screen type. The Toshiba Pocket PC's have all so far had reflective screens. Reflective screens reflect ambient light and so are lit from the side and work good both indoors and out. Transflective screens reflect ambient light and also allow light to pass through from behind. This allows them to be backlit which creates a more even lighting from top to bottom. Transflective screens also are brighter overall indoors and usually have a crisper image and more viabrant colors. Go to your local electronics store and compare the e335 with an iPaq 39xx (which are transflective) and you will notice the screen difference right away. The iPaq looks SO much better indoors! I had an e310 and as soon as I saw the iPaq my screen seemed pathetic. The Axim and ViewSonic both have transflective like the new iPaq's, but a few people that have compared these devices next to each other feel the iPaq is slightly better (better colors, more crisp image).

solus
11-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Ah. I actually went down to CompUSA and saw a 39xx screen. It blew me away. The viewsonic one wasn't as vibrant as the 39xx though, but both were way better than the Toshiba screens. If I can expect something like the 39xx w/ the Axim, then I'll be a happy camper :D .

Creation
11-30-2002, 04:00 AM
Ah. I actually went down to CompUSA and saw a 39xx screen. It blew me away. The viewsonic one wasn't as vibrant as the 39xx though, but both were way better than the Toshiba screens. If I can expect something like the 39xx w/ the Axim, then I'll be a happy camper :D .

They have the Viewsonic V35 on display in CompUSA? I didn't know that... Hopefully they would have it on display in BestBuy since it's VERY close to where I am. Anybody seen it in other retail stores?

solus
11-30-2002, 04:58 AM
The Viewsonic caught my attention. ~$260.00 when all is said and done from amazon - expires tomorrow though. If I change my mind I need to do it quick ;). Slower cpu, better screen. No CF, but SDIO. Thinner.
For music, docs, notes, tasks, and an occasional video or two, I think 300mhz might be alright. Is 32mb ROM enough for a future update of Pocket PC?

BTW, I went to my local best buy and circuit city today, and compUSA was the only place that had the Viewsonic.

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 05:01 AM
The Viewsonic caught my attention. ~$260.00 when all is said and done from amazon - expires tomorrow though. If I change my mind I need to do it quick ;). Slower cpu, better screen. No CF, but SDIO. Thinner.
For music, docs, notes, tasks, and an occasional video or two, I think 300mhz might be alright. Is 32mb ROM enough for a future update of Pocket PC?

BTW, I went to my local best buy and circuit city today, and compUSA was the only place that had the Viewsonic.

I wonder if CompUSA is making an effort to be the only ones to carry certain PDAs or if it's just happening without them really thinking about it. I believe that's the only place you can get the Toshiba e550g at the moment...

jdavis
12-12-2002, 08:44 PM
I measured my toshiba e335 (yeah, i didn't want to wait either) and it's almost exaclty the same width and height as the dell! The dell is almost twice as thick, however. That pissed me off! I was under the impression the dell was a clunky peice of cold war design. I guess that's not so.

As I was shopping for SD devices, I discover that they're 3x as expensive as CF. I didn't think they'd be as expensive as they are. That pissed me off too.

Lastly, the usb for the toshiba - you have to buy a seperate adapter. Wtf? I dont want to do that. That pissed me off.

I'm really considering returning this really nice pos to best buy and waiting for an axim. They told me I could try it and if it didn't suit my needs - feel free to return it. It's not my fault! :oops: