View Full Version : Axims on Ebay already???

Cortex
11-28-2002, 05:59 AM
I expected maybe a handful of units on ebay but there a TONS!

Well maybe 21 :lol:

But still many more than I expected. Wonder where they're coming from?

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 06:16 AM
But still many more than I expected. Wonder where they're coming from?

Well, my guess would be Dell :)

Seriously, I received mine today and I ordered 5 so bulk orders were filled first come, first serve...and since I received mind today and none of those auctions ended before today my theory is that they listed them before they received them assuming by the time they would have to ship them, the seller would have them.

Kati Compton
11-28-2002, 06:24 AM
It's like ticket brokers buying up all the good seats at concerts so they can sell them for more $, rather than people just being able to get them themselves through normal channels.... :(

Rirath
11-28-2002, 06:29 AM
And innocent people like me must suffer. :wink: Still in Pro... still no checks.

Jhokur2k
11-28-2002, 06:38 AM
I'm right with ya Rirath 8)

Kati Compton
11-28-2002, 06:46 AM
And innocent people like me must suffer. :wink: Still in Pro... still no checks.

What day did the order go through?

Jhokur2k
11-28-2002, 06:51 AM
Mine was placed and went thru pre-pro on wednesday (20th), and it went to production on that saturday (23rd).

Rirath
11-28-2002, 06:53 AM
Pretty much same as Jhokur2k. Finally placed again on the 20th, went into production on the 23rd and has been there since. Estimated ship prep/date is Dec 16th, with a ETA of Dec 19-23.

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 06:56 AM
Well, remember, my ship date was Dec. 9th and I'm holding it in my hand, so have faith :D

Kati Compton
11-28-2002, 06:57 AM
Well, remember, my ship date was Dec. 9th and I'm holding it in my hand, so have faith :D

Yes - and I'm very disappointed that we don't have your analysis yet.

Kati Compton
11-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Pretty much same as Jhokur2k. Finally placed again on the 20th, went into production on the 23rd and has been there since. Estimated ship prep/date is Dec 16th, with a ETA of Dec 19-23.

I bet you'll get it next Wednesday.

Rirath
11-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Well, remember, my ship date was Dec. 9th and I'm holding it in my hand, so have faith

Yes - and I'm very disappointed that we don't have your analysis yet.

Indeed. Spill it!

Jhokur2k
11-28-2002, 07:02 AM
I bet you'll get it next Wednesday.

That would induce body functions I've never had before. :oops: :wink:

Rirath
11-28-2002, 07:04 AM
That would induce body functions I've never had before.

8O I'm not asking, though I'll understand if you need to be alone with the Axim for a few minutes when you get it...
ya know... for testing.

Jhokur2k
11-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Well you know, I am leaving behind my Palm :p

Rirath
11-28-2002, 07:11 AM
I am leaving behind my Palm :p

This keeps getting worse. :lol:

Kati Compton
11-28-2002, 08:01 AM
Well you know, I am leaving behind my Palm :p

I'm not "anti-Palm" as many people on this board seem to be...

But I do have to say that I liked it better when it was called a Pilot. When they switched to Palm Pilot... That just sounds like a euphamism to me.

And I'm just not a big fan of calling a device a "Palm". "Let me write that on my palm." "Let me check my Palm for that info." It sounds to me like the owner is hallucinating and looking at an empty hand to me. Like when I forget my watch and keep looking at my wrist...

Janak Parekh
11-28-2002, 08:21 AM
I'm not "anti-Palm" as many people on this board seem to be...
A lot of people here aren't, too ;)

But I do have to say that I liked it better when it was called a Pilot. When they switched to Palm Pilot... That just sounds like a euphamism to me.
Believe me, Jeff & Donna loved the Pilot term... they had no choice, as the pen company complained loudly, and often. Palm Pilot was the "first" answer, but the company didn't like that either. Talk about having the opportunity to build a "Pilot" brand and blowing it -- if I were them, I'd have given the USR guys way back when a real cheap license to the name instead.

And I'm just not a big fan of calling a device a "Palm". "Let me write that on my palm." "Let me check my Palm for that info." It sounds to me like the owner is hallucinating and looking at an empty hand to me. Like when I forget my watch and keep looking at my wrist...
You get used to it though :) It was the best of the options given their choices.

--bdj

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 08:25 AM

Actually, they had to change it from Pilot because a copyright already existed. No matter what you think of Palm, they did recreate the PDA industry (after the Newton et al) which made this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471089656/qid=1038468588/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-7365350-4811255?v=glance&s=books&n=507846/jasondunn-20) a fascinating read for me. You should check it out (the first name for it btw, was the taxi :))!

As for my thoughts on the Axim, I don't know yet. Here's a few quickies though...

It isn't really thick but the case it ships with kind of is which makes it really thick in the case (takes up my whole pocket).

I really like the grip of it, the rubber on the sides helps quite a bit

Screen is better than the 3850 not as good as the 39xx series or the 54xx series ipaqs (or the 19xx series for that matter)

Stylus still feels weird in my hand but again, I'm adjusting

I really like their shell program. Very attractive!

That's all I can think of for now, sorry :?

jizmo
11-28-2002, 11:32 AM
That's all I can think of for now, sorry :?

How about the rumoured flickering of the screen?

And is the battery really that outstanding as stated in reviews? 8O

I wasn't pro-Dell to start with, but if I don't have to worry about running out of battery all the time, I could live with the size.

And if it's sold with reasonable price in Europe :?

enemy2k2
11-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Is that all you can do for us now Thomas? :cry: Please, we need more than that :twisted:

enemy2k2
11-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Can you believe this???
The sellers additions to his description...

"
On Nov-25-02 at 15:41:43 PST, seller added the following information:

NOTE: I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THIS ITEM SHOULD BE IN MY HAND AROUND DECEMBER 2OTH. THIS IS THE LATEST DAY. I COULD HAVE IT A LOT EARLIER. JUST SO YOU KNOW THAT I WILL MAKE MY BEST EFFORT TO GET IT TO YOU BY CHRISTMAS (IF THIS IS AN ISSUE) FOR EXAMPLE I WILL SHIP (2ND DAY MAIL, OR ETC. IF NECESSARY.)

THANKS

BGALLTHAT

On Nov-25-02 at 16:54:29 PST, seller added the following information:

AS I STATED BEFORE I WILL HAVE THESE POCKET PC'S AT THE LATEST DECEMBER 20TH. IF YOU WOULD LIKE IT SENT 2ND DAY MAIL, TO HAVE IT IN YOUR HANDS ON THE 22ND. SHIPPING WILL BE A TOTAL OF $20, ( $9 MORE THEN HAVING IT SHIPPED GROUND ON THE 20TH). ALSO MOST IMPORTANTLY, ALTHOUGH IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL (WHICH IT SHOULD) I WILL HAVE THESE ON THE 20TH, AND CAN SHIP SO YOU CAN RECEIVE THEM ON THE 22ND. ALTHOUGH THIS IS TRUE, I CANT MAKE A GUARANTEE. I DONT WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE, OR HAVE PROBLEMS SO THEREFORE I CANT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL HAVE IT ON THE 24TH. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND WHEN BIDDING. BUT AS I SAID BEFORE THERE SHOULDNT EVEN BE ANY KIND OF PROBLEM. I AM STATING THIS JUST IN CASE. ALSO PAYMENT FOR THE POCKET PC'S IS DUE BY DECEMBER 10TH. THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND COOPERATION."

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 08:02 PM
How about the rumoured flickering of the screen?

Non-existant as of yet.

And is the battery really that outstanding as stated in reviews? 8O

Didn't think to test but I'll set one on a MP3 playing loop and see how it goes right now!

Is that all you can do for us now Thomas? :cry: Please, we need more than that :twisted:

What more do you want to know :D

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 08:16 PM
Oh, the cradle is WAAAAY COOL! (if I might get technical for a moment)

ThomasC22
11-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Battery went for a little under 6 hours btw. Although now that I think of it the level of compression might affect that and I wasn't really checking to see that they were all the same (most were 128 though)

enemy2k2
11-29-2002, 01:48 PM
What more do you want to know :D

EVERRYYYTHING :twisted:

How about a full and proper review of the unit? None of that half-a55ed stuff I've read elsewhere. :cry: A REAL review :!: ...please? :D

Oh yeah and pictures, loads of pictures :)

Since you bought five for testing, how about some drop tests? Throw one in a sandbox to see if any gets stuck under the screen? I dunno, use your imagination :twisted:

Seriously though, if you could tell anymore about it that would be great. :angel: Thoughts and feelings of the units with the time you've had with them etc.

NewKreation
11-29-2002, 08:21 PM
:?:

Would you compare the speakers to the iPAQ's?

1. Is it as loud as the iPAQ?

2. Does it have the bass the iPAQ has?

I currently own a Toshiba and I can't hear it in a quiet room. When I had an iPAQ 3835, I could hear it playing mp3's wherever I went. Alarms included.

This is very important to me. Thanks in advance!

ThomasC22
11-30-2002, 04:08 AM
:?:
1. Is it as loud as the iPAQ?

External Speaker - No, the iPaq is louder but not by much (and the Axim is louder than an e310)

Headphone jack, yes.

2. Does it have the bass the iPAQ has?

Again, External Speaker, No. Headphone jacks are pretty much the same.

ThomasC22
11-30-2002, 05:39 AM
Seriously though, if you could tell anymore about it that would be great. :angel: Thoughts and feelings of the units with the time you've had with them etc.

I really don't know. It feels solid, I wish the SD slot was where the jog dial was and the jog dial was where the SD slot was. The screen is very nice (not as good as the iPaq 9xxx series but very good) but a little small after using an iPaq. umm...I can't think of anything else :(

Oh, and for what it's worth, here are some comparison pics (sorry their blurry but I'm in a hurry right now).

Pics (http://www.tomchamberlain.com/Axim)

Rirath
11-30-2002, 06:01 AM
Heh, can't wait to try that funky stylus. What's that tip made from anyhow? Just clear plastic or something else? Something smooth and non scratch sure would be nice, since I hate the feel of screen protectors and don't use em.

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 06:39 AM
Oh, and for what it's worth, here are some comparison pics (sorry their blurry but I'm in a hurry right now).

That can opener is a brick!!! I mean - did you see how BIG it was???

;)

The pics do remind me that I wish the Axim came with a bigger screen given the big case. Frankly I'm probably fine with the footprint, but a bigger screen to match would make me even happier. I like the thin border of case around the big Toshiba e550g screen. Not that I'm willing to also take the dust that seems to come with those...

But really, for $265 I'm fine. ;)

Rirath
11-30-2002, 07:57 AM
Eh, bigger screen just equals a more stretched picture. Give me a fraction of a inch smaller and that much more sharper.

enemy2k2
11-30-2002, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the pics, no matter how blurry they are!!! Judging by it being next to the IPaq, it really doesn't look half bad. In fact, I would argue that the look is in fact a bit more appealing - to me any way. As for calling it a brick, if the IPaq is a brick then so is the Axim, but if the IPaq is not a brick then neither can the Axim be. I personally don't think the IPaq is a brick and it comared very well with the Toshiba E-310 in my eyes. The issue of the screen size is a good point, but I doubt they could include a larger screen without significant increase in cost. Not only that but it allows it to taper down nicely at the bottom. Those rubber side grips look to be a great advantage as well.

Not even having one in my hands, I can definitely agree that the jog dial and SD card position were definitely ill-conceived. It may have been an engineering decision, but certainly they could have come up with a better compromise. At least it has a jog wheel though, which is more than can be said for the IPaq :D

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Eh, bigger screen just equals a more stretched picture. Give me a fraction of a inch smaller and that much more sharper.

My eyes would appreciate the bigger stretched picture. ;)