View Full Version : Lord of the Rings DVD

don dre
11-27-2002, 05:19 PM
Earlier this week I picked up a copy of the 4 disc set, aka the Extended Version, on DVD. I went to play the movie last night in my computer (Windows XP with a Samsung 16x DVD-Rom) and it would not work. Wouldn't even recognize the disc. The computer being my entertainment center I was a little miffed to say the least. We tried it on my roommate's machine with 98 and a Pioneer 115 16x and it saw the disc but could not read it. Sigma Designs did not see the disc and Interactual froze when he tried to play it. Has anyone else had this problem? I intend to take it back and exchange it to try another copy but I'm worried that there may be some copy protection like what they did in Europe when they snuck it in only on some products. Not sure where else to turn. New Line's support stance is simply, there are too many different types of players for us to guarantee it will play, please contact your hardware vendor. Likely story. :evil:

Chris Edwards
12-01-2002, 06:06 PM
DVD #1 isn't working in any of my DVD players right now either. Have you tried to see if DVD #2/3/4 work in yours?

masaki
12-01-2002, 07:07 PM
My Lord of the Rings Extended Cut DVD Set works just fine on my Sony DVD player and my Sony DVD-ROM drive (DDU1621 flashed with no region) with ATI Radeon 8500 on my XP Pro machine.

I played the first disc on my computer last night and aside from the usual lockups that my computer sometimes does when playing DVD movies (still haven't fixed this annoying problem), it played fine in the DVD-ROM drive. I can browse the DVD with no problem. I used PowerDVD 4.0 with all the patches installed.

When I bought the DVD set, the first set came with 2 "Part One" for the movie. So had to bring it back to Future Shop for an exchange. Then I opened another set there to check the DVDs. The "Part Two" DVD had a scratch on the outter ring. So onto opening another set which the staff wasn't very willing to let me. She kept asking me to take it home to see if it would work. After *telling* her repeatedly that there was no way I would want to get a scratched disc, I opened another set and that one, finally, was perfect.

HandheldJunkiesUnite
12-01-2002, 07:56 PM
It's more then likely the DVD :) (that's kind of a reason to smile isn't it? :)). At anyrate, just bring it back for a new one :).

Happy holidays,

HandheldJunkie

ECOslin
12-01-2002, 08:28 PM
I've got the widescreen 4 disk set(without the bookends) and an older Acer DVD drive. Works fine. I tried the player that wanted to auto-install on the first disk, it didn't work. So I went to the ATI(All-in-Wonder Radeon) drivers site and got the most recent dvd player software, free, for the card. Works.

Edward

don dre
12-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Will try it on a set top player tonight. anyone have experience with WinDVD's recorder that allows you to burn shows to DVD in real time like a VCR? or DVDX by 321 Studios which allows you to make DVD copies of an original? When will PDA's have hologram projectors built-in? Now that would be worth $700.