View Full Version : 10% discount - didn't get the email and Dell says they can't give it

smapdi636
11-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Hello. I read on the forums that someone who hadn't gotten the 10% off email offer called Dell and was granted it over the phone.

I tried the same thing and was turned down! They claimed that the offer was generated by "some machine" and they couldn't arbitrarily offer it like I was hoping.

I have an Axim ready to go sitting in a saved cart on Dell's website. That 10% off would really throw me right over the fence in to purchase territory.

Any advice?

Kati Compton
11-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Hello. I read on the forums that someone who hadn't gotten the 10% off email offer called Dell and was granted it over the phone.

I tried the same thing and was turned down! They claimed that the offer was generated by "some machine" and they couldn't arbitrarily offer it like I was hoping.

I have an Axim ready to go sitting in a saved cart on Dell's website. That 10% off would really throw me right over the fence in to purchase territory.

Any advice?

Were you talking to a sales rep or customer service? I got it by talking to customer service, as the sales rep was not going to give it to me. BTW - the offer only applies if you have bought a Dell computer system (and I think it's only desktops at that, but I'm not sure). When they gave me the 10% off they looked up my customer information to confirm.

So call customer service and tell them that you've been a loyal Dell customer (*if* you have, of course) and that you are very hurt to be left out of this opportunity that was given to other Dell customers. Threaten to order the Viewsonic if you have to...

BTW - they did *not* give me a coupon code to use - they just put in an order for me over the phone and adjusted the price by 10% manually.

smapdi636
11-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the advice Kati.

I was talking to a sales rep, and yes I've bought 3-4 Dell systems over the years.

I'll try this tonight. ;)

Thanks again.

Covert
11-27-2002, 06:34 AM
I'm a previous Dell customer, and they never emailed me a code. I emailed them asking about it and their answer seemed to have nothing to do with my question... :(

ThomasC22
11-27-2002, 06:37 AM
I'm a previous Dell customer, and they never emailed me a code. I emailed them asking about it and their answer seemed to have nothing to do with my question... :(

I got the same run around and decided it wasn't worth it. I found their explaination amusing though...

"We're sorry Tom, but your in the preferred accounts division so we can't give you that discount"

<sigh>

smapdi636
11-27-2002, 02:37 PM
I talked to a CSR last night. She informed me she was emailing <someone> about it and would get back to me to see if I could get the discount.

I too am starting to wonder if this is worth it. Maybe I should just place the order...

Kati Compton
11-27-2002, 04:57 PM
I talked to a CSR last night. She informed me she was emailing <someone> about it and would get back to me to see if I could get the discount.

I too am starting to wonder if this is worth it. Maybe I should just place the order...

On the "bright" side, by the time you get an answer, maybe it won't be backlogged....

smapdi636
11-27-2002, 05:10 PM
Too late. Did the deed. Got the 400mhz with 128mb SD, case, foldable keyboard... The works.

Waiting for buyer's remorse to kick in. Shouldn't be long now.

robert_biggs
11-27-2002, 09:12 PM
My brother purchased a Dell desktop a while ago and so I asked him to call and order me the Axim using my Credit Card. He had opted out of receiving emails from Dell and so he didn't get the email. He called and was jostled around until a salesman rudely told him he couldn't get the discount. I called back and reached the handheld sales department and complained to them about the way my brother had been treated. The salesman at first told me the same thing: that my brother couldn't get the discount. But all of a sudden, he put me on hold and came back a minute later and said his manager would approve the discount if I ordered before the manager left for lunch in 5 minutes. So I was able to order it over the phone and get the discount without a coupon number. They applied $8 shipping. But when I called back, Customer Service refunded the shipping charge. Hope this helps.

smapdi636
11-27-2002, 09:16 PM
Ahh screw em. I'll just keep this in mind next time I BUILD a new PC. ;)