View Full Version : Solitare

KyleC
11-24-2002, 10:15 PM
Has it ever occured to anyone that Microsoft includes a version of solitare with every single operating system? For example:

-Windows 95/98/ME/XP
-Windows NT/2000
-Windows CE
-Pocket PC
-Tablet PC
-Smartphone

and I'm sure the list goes on. The question is: why? I don't know about anybody else, but solitare on a smartphone? Doesn't this seem like a waste? Solitare is also burned into the ROM of my Pocket PC! Perhaps their REAL .NET strategy is to have solitare where you want it, when you want it, anywhere! Any thoughts?

Edited for spelling errors...

Kati Compton
11-24-2002, 10:18 PM
Has it ever occured to anyone that Mictosoft includes a version of colitare wil every single operating system? For example:

-Windows 95/98/ME/XP
-Windows NT/2000
-Windows CE
-Pocket PC
-Tablet PC
-Smartphone

and I'm sure the list goes on. The question is: why?

:crazyeyes: You will submit to Solitaire mind-control! :crazyeyes:

Rirath
11-24-2002, 10:19 PM
I'm sure there's some interesting/funny backstory to this... but since I don't know it I'll just say Why not?
Eh, the WindowsCE in the Sega Dreamcast didn't have a solitaire app. :wink:

Kati Compton
11-24-2002, 10:20 PM
I'm sure there's some interesting/funny backstory to this... but since I don't know it I'll just say Why not?
Eh, the WindowsCE in the Sega Dreamcast didn't have a solitare app. :wink:

It probably did as an easter egg. You know, L-R-L-R-U-D-U-D-A-B-start or something like that. :)

Rirath
11-24-2002, 10:27 PM
L-R-L-R-U-D-U-D-A-B-start or something like that

You're close... but that famous Contra cheat is actually: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.
Hmm... perhaps I could try entering IDKFA using the dreamcast keyboard.

Kati Compton
11-24-2002, 10:32 PM
L-R-L-R-U-D-U-D-A-B-start or something like that

You're close... but that famous Contra cheat is actually: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.
Hmm... perhaps I could try entering IDKFA using the dreamcast keyboard.

Ah - I couldn't rememeber. IDKFA is Doom, right?

Janak Parekh
11-25-2002, 04:10 AM
IDKFA is Doom, right?
Indeed, that was total ammo and weapons. Along with IDDQD (god mode), IDSPISPOPD (no clipping; does anyone remember what this acronym stands for? ;)) Furthermore, if I remember correctly, if you tried IDDQD in Quake you died an immediate death and "Cheater!" appeared on the top. :lol:

BTW, Windows 1.x did not come with Solitaire. It only came with Reversi. So there! :D

(For complete trivia, I think Windows 2.x also only came with Reversi; Windows 3.0 had Solitaire and Reversi; and Windows 3.1 introduced Minesweeper. It's entirely possible that I'm exactly one version off, though.)

--bdj

Sven Johannsen
11-25-2002, 04:41 AM
Actually an OS comes with every copy of Solitaire. http://studyguides.cramsession.com/video/behindms/video.htm

Mike Temporale
11-25-2002, 05:51 AM
There is a really simple reason why Solitaire is included on every version of windows. (and it has nothing to do with smart-pants, or mole-men :wink: )

Solitaire along with Minesweeper have been around since I started using Windows (version 2.0!). The reason, it helps new users learn how to use the mouse. It's a simple little application, but it helps people get familiar with moving the cursor, clicking, dragging, etc..

Pretty simple, but very effective.

Kati Compton
11-25-2002, 07:00 AM
Solitaire along with Minesweeper have been around since I started using Windows (version 2.0!). The reason, it helps new users learn how to use the mouse. It's a simple little application, but it helps people get familiar with moving the cursor, clicking, dragging, etc...

My favorite "learning to use a mouse" story is of my mother-in-law, who the first couple times she tried to use a mouse rotated it to point it in the direction she wanted to go, and then pushed it that way. Kinda like playing with a toy car, really. :) She's much better now. She never did use those games, though.

KyleC
11-25-2002, 12:28 PM
IDKFA is Doom, right?
Indeed, that was total ammo and weapons. Along with IDDQD (god mode), IDSPISPOPD (no clipping; does anyone remember what this acronym stands for? ;)) Furthermore, if I remember correctly, if you tried IDDQD in Quake you died an immediate death and "Cheater!" appeared on the top. :lol:

BTW, Windows 1.x did not come with Solitaire. It only came with Reversi. So there! :D

(For complete trivia, I think Windows 2.x also only came with Reversi; Windows 3.0 had Solitaire and Reversi; and Windows 3.1 introduced Minesweeper. It's entirely possible that I'm exactly one version off, though.)

--bdj

I didn't want to make any assumptions about Windows 1.x, 2.x, etc. because I have never used those. The earliest Windows OS I used was 3.1, but I couldn't remember if it had solitare or not.

I think that solitare will be perfect for the Tablet PC because you get to actually drag the cards with a stylus instead of a mouse, and it is on a fairly large screen.

I think the highest score in solitare that I got was a little over 3000. (1 card, standard scoring) I think that solitare should include some sort of top 10 scorers list. It would be interesting to see how good some people are at solitare.

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert200211295004.gif

Mike Temporale
11-25-2002, 12:52 PM
A friend of mine hated the mouse. Instead, she would turn it upside down, and use it like a track ball! This was long before track ball's where common place. She actually got really good at using the mouse upside down.

My mother has become very good at using the mouse thanks to the games. However, she still has no idea how to use the software on the computer! But she's killer at Solitaire.