View Full Version : Notice from Compaq/HP

rapidnet_rick
11-24-2002, 06:09 PM
Did anyone notice the notice from Compaq/HP?

No longer will Outlook 2002 be included with the Ipaqs. It seems that this will only affect the new models, like the 5400, etc...

Here is the link...

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020719_CW01.xml&dt=3&docid=13207

:cry:

It seems that they are going to go back to Outlook 2000?@?!?!?!?

rapidnet_rick
11-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Here is a link about the displays...

Seems that some dots/specks are normal...

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=CN0100W.xml&dt=9&docid=13169

Paul P
11-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Here is a link about the displays...

Seems that some dots/specks are normal...

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=CN0100W.xml&dt=9&docid=13169

I am returning my recently purchased laptop because it came with four complimentary deadpixels. In terms of iPaq's smaller screen, I can't imagine using it even with one deadpixel. There is nothing normal about it. Any product with deadpixels is simply defective. I don't think HP will give you much trouble about returning your iPaq to have the screen replaced, unless they want to lose sales.

jpf
11-25-2002, 12:01 AM
If you can return a laptop with only 4 dead pixels then you are lucky. I'm positive I've seen 'smallprint' on various lcd screens purchases which set the minimum at 8! My Toshiba (laptop)came with 1 and I almost felt lucky about that. My ipaq thankfully is perfect (screen-wise and in some other ways too).
You're right that it's defective but I'm pretty sure that some outlets buy know 'defective' units at lower prices and then sell them on at slightly discounted prices as a perfect unit.
I know that the process of creating lcd screens is not guaranteed 100% faultless. Perhaps they cannot be tested until they are almost complete. But I also believe that 'seconds' are sold as perfect units by some big name companies who figure that some will be returned and some will be acceptable and for the discount they get from the manufacturer it's worth it.

Paul P
11-25-2002, 06:16 AM
If you can return a laptop with only 4 dead pixels then you are lucky. I'm positive I've seen 'smallprint' on various lcd screens purchases which set the minimum at 8! My Toshiba (laptop)came with 1 and I almost felt lucky about that.

Before purchasing anything online, I make sure that I can return it should something be wrong. That always mostly leaves me with few retailers to choose from, but it's worth it considering the risk of receiving something defective. I wanted to purchase a laptop from PCConnection.com and this is the response I got from them following my inquiry regarding deadpixels:

Dear Paul,
Thank you for contacting us. We must follow the manufacturers' policies in
cases such as this. Sony does not consider a notebook defective unless it
has a minimum of 10 dead pixels. If you were to receive a unit with 10 or
more dead pixels, you could return it to us refund or exchange.

In this case, you're probably out of luck. But most of the major retailers have a flexible return policy. So you have to be careful and ask before purchasing.

Pony99CA
11-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Did anyone notice the notice from Compaq/HP?

No longer will Outlook 2002 be included with the Ipaqs. It seems that this will only affect the new models, like the 5400, etc...

Here is the link...

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2183|iPAQ+H3800+Series+Pocket+PC&source=MH020719_CW01.xml&dt=3&docid=13207

:cry:

It seems that they are going to go back to Outlook 2000?!?!?!?
That's old news, I believe. There was a story here a while ago stating that new Pocket PCs would come with Outlook 2000 instead of 2002. This was done presumably to avoid Outlook's activation scheme only allowing installation on one computer.

The HP notice is rather odd, though. It says it applies to the 3800 series twice, but also says that the 3800 series will continue to come with Outlook 2002. Another oddity is that it doesn't mention the 1910 at all.

Steve