View Full Version : Help! My iPAQ File Store disappeared...!

Samuel
11-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi,

I need some help... I was using HandyZip to zip up some files into my File Store. I'm not exactly sure how it happened or what caused it, but I think the archive was too big for the space left in my File Store.

Anyhow, the iPAQ started to lock up, so I did a soft reset. Now, none of the applications can see the File Store, e.g., the OS thinks there is no File Store 'installed' (under Settings) and File Explorer has disabled the File Store icon on the menu bar and the File Store folder has disappeared among the folder list.

The only thing I can see is when I tried to open the archive I was making when the process failed, (under HandyZip) the archive had thousands of files taking tons of space. Needless to say, I wasn't zipping that many files. It looks as if it was a file cross-linked issue that sometimes occur with traditional hard disks...

On top of that, the whole unit is acting really slowly. One tap on anything will take seconds to respond, making the whole unit practically unusable.

What can I do? I don't want to do a hard reset because I don't have most of my software at hand to set up all the applications again. Also, a hard reset won't wipe the information off the File Store anyway...

I'm using a H3970 with the latest EUU3 installed. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Clavain
11-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Hi,

You have a big problem. I had something similar. I was copying stuff to the file store when the system crashed. After a soft reset the file system in the file store was totally banjacked.

I tried almost everything, soft reset, hard reset, rename, redeleting, all to no avail.

Compaq eventually replaced the unit and since then I haven't used the file store which is abit of bummer seeing how it cost me over €900.

Bigbrains over at www.bigbrains.com had a tool for formatting the file store which he got from compaq for a similar problem. Some people have expressed satisfaction with this tool.

If your machine is still under the guarantee I would get in contact with HP/Compaq.

If you still want to try out this tool and can't find it on the above mentioned site, let me know, I am nearly sure I have it somewhere.

Hope that helps you,
Good Luck,
and please let me know how you get on.

Clavain

Samuel
11-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Thanks, after a bit more research on the web, I found that tool too. Despite all the comments (on that site) that said it's excellent, I'd be the first person who couldn't get it to work...

I've contacted Compaq since then. Their first response was to upgrade my IE on my PC (?!) I pointed that tool to them, which they also sent me.

Anyhow, it still didn't work, even after a hard reset. The File Store still isn't there and the unit is so slow, it's unusable. I've timed it - with nothing else running, File Explorer took 3 minutes to load.

Now, the iPAQ is packed up waiting for UPS to pick up for service...

Clavain
11-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Hope it works out for you

Clavain

lamalfi
11-30-2002, 01:57 AM
Hi! I had the same problem some time ago. I have a prg but i don't know how to post it here...... It works fine!

Samuel
12-03-2002, 01:30 PM
I got my iPAQ back yesterday. They only took one day to fix it. I think the unit spent more time in transit than in the shop...

Anyhow, from the worksheet, it seemed they have replaced the motherboard... (The sheet said 'replaced m/b', which I take as motherboard.

Who knows what happened to it when the File Store fried...