View Full Version : PPC2002 to Sharp Zaurus?

jizmo
11-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Can PPC2002 OS be installed to Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D?

I could get my hands on one device, but if I have to run the factory-installed Linux on it, there's no way I'll ever enjoy using it. :?

If you have experience / knowledge on this, let me know! :wink:

/jizmo

Pony99CA
11-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Can PPC2002 OS be installed to Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D?

Unless someone has hacked this up, I doubt it. I think the process goes like this:

1. An OEM contracts with Microsoft to produce a Pocket PC.
2. Microsoft ships them the required software to build the Pocket PC OS.
3. The OEM customizes it for their device.

Without the initial distribution, you'd have to try to just copy the ROM image from one device to the Zaurus and hope it worked.

This is all just semi-informed speculation, though. :-)

Steve

jizmo
11-23-2002, 05:42 PM
I kind of assumed it'd be this hard, but I would give it a go if someone had done it succesfully.

Despite being quite decent device (much better than the old iPAQ line in my opinion), it boasts with foldable keyboard - a feature that should be integrated to other PPC devices as well.

But when it comes to the operating system .. *sigh*. "Interesting" choice from Sharp.. :cry:

/jizmo

Pony99CA
11-23-2002, 10:06 PM
I kind of assumed it'd be this hard, but I would give it a go if someone had done it succesfully.

If someone had done it, it wouldn't really be hard any more. :-)

Despite being quite decent device (much better than the old iPAQ line in my opinion), it boasts with foldable keyboard - a feature that should be integrated to other PPC devices as well.

That would be nice. Sharp has it, Sony Clies have them, Handspring's Treo has a keyboard (albeit not a folding one), but no Pocket PCs.

But when it comes to the operating system .. *sigh*. "Interesting" choice from Sharp.. :cry:

Well, Linux has a great following in the geek community. I don't think the OS would scare me away from the Zaurus as long as there were good applications and the ability to sync with Outlook.

Steve

jizmo
11-24-2002, 02:45 AM
>If someone had done it, it wouldn't really be hard any more. :-)

Ahhemm .. If someone had succeeded doing it and it would require some hardware level poking, ie soldering together wires in the device, I supposed it'd still be hard for me :wink:

>That would be nice. Sharp has it, Sony Clies have them, Handspring's >Treo has a keyboard (albeit not a folding one), but no Pocket PCs.

Text input is one of the most common uses in PDA devices, and these integrated input devices take virtually no space at all. It's really shame that PPC manufacturers still overlook this feature.

>Well, Linux has a great following in the geek community. I don't think >the OS would scare me away from the Zaurus as long as there were >good applications and the ability to sync with Outlook.

I'd really hate having that much horsepower under my hood and not be able to utilize it with all the Linux / java applications out there. :wink:

Nowadays there are so many great PPC programs and games out there that I'd feel a little weird having to pick from limited number of applications instead of dozens and dozens of great programs for PPC.

/jizmo