View Full Version : Anyone using RoadRunner's Dial Up Account Service?

Monty Gibson
11-22-2002, 05:32 PM
If so, how do you configure it? I can't seem to configure it since they use a "script." I don't know if there is even a way to do this. I have looked over and over again at my PocketPC. I just disconnected the T-Mobile GPRS internet service. What a RIP! 5 megabytes a month?! Geez! :roll:

Anyway, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

David McNamee
11-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Look here. I've done it using this method before, but not since before upgrading to PPC 2002.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44229

Monty Gibson
11-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Look here. I've done it using this method before, but not since before upgrading to PPC 2002.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44229

Ooohh baby 8O! I have to try this and let you know how it works out... damn work, I wish I were at home, I have to go to a meeting now :evil:! THANK YOU! I appreciate even the chance to make this work!

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

sonu
11-25-2002, 04:40 PM
I use road runner in Orlando, FL...They gave me a booklet with all the server names. I used the T-Mobile PPC phone to simply create a new service...popped in the necessary info such as pop server, user id and password and that worked just fine!! In fact i am downloading email just about every day using the PPC phone.

Monty Gibson
11-25-2002, 04:53 PM
I use road runner in Orlando, FL...They gave me a booklet with all the server names. I used the T-Mobile PPC phone to simply create a new service...popped in the necessary info such as pop server, user id and password and that worked just fine!! In fact i am downloading email just about every day using the PPC phone.

Thanks for responding! I've tried the information prior to your post and can't get it to connect! I can get to the log in screen but that's it. I put my information in and it comes up garbled across my "Dial-Up Terminal After" screen then after that it boots me off; thus I can't surf. Can you give me the configurations that you're using? Long distance is free for me of course probably for you too so it won't matter. Any help would be appreciated. I need to surf too, so if you can help with that plus e-mail that would be great!

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

sonu
11-25-2002, 06:54 PM
Monty here is the config.

Go to Start click on Inbox. Click Services and then click New Service. This will bring you to the set up page. Step 1 is to enter your email address and click Next. Step 2 - the device will automatically connect to the GPRS network. Once the device is online it will indicate "Completed" in the Status box, click Next. Step 3 enter your name exactly as you wish for it to be displayed when you send email using the service. Type in your email address and password provided to you by Roadrunner. Step 4, Pull down the Service Type and click POP3 and name the service. I have mine named as Time Warner you could name it whatever you would like. Step 4 type in the incoming mail server name and the outgoing mail server name. I have emailed those to you using the private email functionality of this forum.

That should do it. If that doesn't work then you need to call Roadrunner to get the pop3 incoming and outgoing mail server addresses and try this again. If that fails as well you need to call T-Mobile customer service. They should be able to fix this for you. Hope it helps. :)

Monty Gibson
11-25-2002, 08:26 PM
Monty here is the config. That should do it. If that doesn't work then you need to call Roadrunner to get the pop3 incoming and outgoing mail server addresses and try this again. If that fails as well you need to call T-Mobile customer service. They should be able to fix this for you. Hope it helps. :)

Yup, that worked thanks! :D! Now, how do you log ONTO RoadRunner to surf the net? Any remarks; ideas?

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

sonu
11-25-2002, 08:54 PM
I do not use Roadrunner to surf or access info. I use the T-Mobile GPRS network. I am not sure if you can use your dial up acct using the T-Mobile device...but I am not entirely sure why you would want to do that.

Monty Gibson
11-26-2002, 01:45 AM
I do not use Roadrunner to surf or access info. I use the T-Mobile GPRS network. I am not sure if you can use your dial up acct using the T-Mobile device...but I am not entirely sure why you would want to do that.

There is actually a way of doing this because several people have stated they have done it. It seems simple enough, but I can't seem to get it right.

GPRS Network is nice, but for only 5 megs a month and having two PPCPE phones (mine and my wife's) that's over 40 dollars a month when I can just use a RoadRunner dial up account that is free for 10 hours a month unlimited megabytes, etc.

Or, I can use another dial-up service NetZero ($9.95) or others that are less expensive and surf all day long albeit a lot slower, but still, I can get it done without the expense of having to worry about "Am I over my limit?" I want to see the graphics on the screen and not have to worry about, "Whoa, I wonder if that's a graphically intense site?"

I've been getting my e-mail through RoadRunner for a while now, but I wanted to be able to dial-in and surf, too. There's a way... I'm trying to find it :wink:.

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

smittyofdhs
11-26-2002, 08:48 PM
keep in mind that if you do successfully get a dialup going over the GSM line (not the GPRS line) you will be using your voice minutes up. So even though the access is free (netzero or road runner) the call still is not. If you did the math you'd probably find that using your voice minutes to do data cost way more then using the GPRS.

From the 3 posts I've seen from you, it sounds as if you are totally unhappy with your t-mobile? if so, how long ago did you buy it? I don't know about t-mobile, but AT&T gives you 30 days to try the device and return if unhappy. You may want to consider this..... :?:

smittyofdhs
11-26-2002, 08:54 PM
I can get it done without the expense of having to worry about "Am I over my limit?" I want to see the graphics on the screen and not have to worry about, "Whoa, I wonder if that's a graphically intense site?"

There are apps out there that count your mb on your GPRS connection so you don't have to worry it you are going over your mb limit. I use all-locations GPRS traffic counter and it works great.

As for the images, you know you can turn off the images in IE (actually PIE) so that the downloads are less in size? Just toggle the last icon in PIE to turn off the graphics...
:)

Monty Gibson
11-26-2002, 09:03 PM
keep in mind that if you do successfully get a dialup going over the GSM line (not the GPRS line) you will be using your voice minutes up. So even though the access is free (netzero or road runner) the call still is not. If you did the math you'd probably find that using your voice minutes to do data cost way more then using the GPRS.

From the 3 posts I've seen from you, it sounds as if you are totally unhappy with your t-mobile? if so, how long ago did you buy it? I don't know about t-mobile, but AT&T gives you 30 days to try the device and return if unhappy. You may want to consider this..... :?:

:lol: Would seem that way huh :-)? No, actually, I do enjoy the form factor and what it actually does. It's a marvelous piece of hardware and I take nothing from it. I just wished that they had spent some more time thinking about expandability on the device since I would really like (need) to have a camera handy and I see now that there are some SD cameras available, but the snag is the SD has to be I/O. It just makes me a little upset that's all. It feels as if I'm "behind the ball" already, even though the device is only a few months old. I bought it approximately 2 weeks after its debut. I have about 800 minutes a month with T-Mobile which is a "bucket" of minutes that both my wife and I share. The amount of surfing I do would not even come close to about 150-200 minutes maximum. My parents and my wife all have T-Mobile phones (wiffy has a PPCPE) and we all call each other for free since T-Mobile phone-to-phone plan is a free call blah, blah... so long story short, I think it would be cheaper for me in the long run just to have a dial-up account instead of both my wife and I having GPRS. Thanks for the input and advice, it's solid!

Thank you,
Monty Gibson

smittyofdhs
11-26-2002, 09:24 PM
it's good to see that t-mobile is offering the special pricing plans to the GSM/GPRS users. AT&T still has not done that.