View Full Version : Close call with EUU3

Fattizzi
11-22-2002, 03:03 PM
Being the seasoned IPAQ user I am, I just dove right into the new update release from HP for my IPAQ 3975.

Silly me forgot to stop Active Sync and I go an error 5 minutes into the Flashing of my precious ROM. I quickly did a hard reset and found I was in trouble.

The update started to install the new OS, but most of it was missing. Luckily, I was able to boot the device up. I couldnt active sync, there was no Outlook Today, no file explorer....no files really. Just a blank screen with the start menu and clock.

I started to sweat, thinking I would have to be without my IPAQ for a while. I started to brainstorm and came up with an idea.

I used my bluetooth connection to connect to my desktop (I Had this setup prior to the install). I copied over the EUU3 cab file. I thought ahhh, i am saved. well it kept failing while copying. Something about memory. So, I took Resco's Files Explorer.exe from my wifes IPAQ and copied it over to my IPAQ. I used this to browse around and see what was going on. I then took a CF adapter and Memory card with the 13MB EUU3 cab file on it and prayed it would recognize my CF adapter. Well it did. I then quickly plugged the IPAQ into the cradle and started to run the cab file. Again....I thought, whew, I saved my PAQ. But then it gave me this weird message about Clearing the Owner information out of the Owner screen and then retry the upgrade. Well, I didnt have an owner screen. It wasnt there. I racked my brain and thought...ahh the registry. But silly Microsoft doesnt include a registry editor. Again, I copied over PHM's registry.exe from my wife's IPAQ. I went into the Registry key for Local User and deleted the Key that said owner. Ran the upgrade again and it worked.

I know have a beautiful new BLISS today screen and everything is back to normal.

Oh yeah, this all happened at 4:30am...while getting ready for work. I am sure the rest of you IPAQ junkies can understand that we must have our IPAQ's working or we are very unhappy campers. Well enjoy