View Full Version : EUU3 Up for HP iPAQs

Ed Hansberry
11-21-2002, 11:25 PM
<a href="http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp">http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp</a><br /><br />If you have an iPAQ, check this page putting in your series and model number to download your version. Fixes and enhancements include:<br /><br />• Includes all fixes from the previous EUU. <br />• Corrects issue where Pocket Internet Explorer stopped responding when attempting to view some secured Web sites. <br />• Corrects issue where a PPP LCP renegotiation request caused an unexpected disconnect. <br />• Corrects issue where PocketWord and Notes stopped responding after tapping ENTER at the end of a very long string that has no spaces. <br />• Corrects issue with Pocket Outlook Object Model (POOM) where adding recipients didn't flag an appointment as a meeting. <br />• Corrects issue where Microsoft Server ActiveSync could not be used with a user name containing extended characters.<br />• New Microsoft Windows Media Player.<br />• New "Bliss" Today Theme. <br />• TAB key is now supported in Pocket Internet Explorer. <!><br /><br />Someone explain this: "NOTES: For the H3900 series, this EUU applies to ROM Version 1.00 (non-Bluetooth) and ROM Version 2.00 (Bluetooth) only." :? I presume that means 1.15, 1.20, 2.15 and 2.20? I never saw a 1.00 and 2.00.<br /><br />Also, for the H3600 series, the 24MCONSUMER.XIP does not apply due to Windows Media Player for Pocket PC not being in ROM. When the update is executed, a message appears displaying: “\temp\rom_update\24mconsumer.xip is invalid. It will be deleted. Other updates will continue”<br /><br />Versions supported:<br /><b>iPAQ H3600 Series Pocket PC:</b> H3630, H3635, H3640, H3650, H3660, H3670<br /><b>iPAQ H3700 Series Pocket PC:</b> H3730, H3760, H3765<br /><b>iPAQ H3800 Series Pocket PC:</b> H3815, H3830, H3835, H3845, H3850, H3870, H3875<br /><b>iPAQ H3900 Series Pocket PC:</b> H3950, H3955, H3970, H3975

Khufu1
11-21-2002, 11:36 PM
My 3970 came stock from HP with rom version 2.00. I found that odd but that is the case.

-Drew

DualShock
11-21-2002, 11:38 PM
So for us 36xx users, will the new WMP 8.5 be available as a downloadable RAM install?

ledowning
11-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Do you know if HP has released any update for the HP Jornada 560 series Pocket PC?? I have an HP Jornada 568 and would be very interested in an update.

8O :?:

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Do you know if HP has released any update for the HP Jornada 560 series Pocket PC?? I have an HP Jornada 568 and would be very interested in an update.
Did you check the Jornada site at www.hp.com ?

RickP in AZ
11-22-2002, 12:04 AM
My 3975 also has ROM v2.00... juat that, nothing other than lonely zeroes after the decimal.

Wish me luck guys and gals... I may be going for it with the EUU3 tomorrow morning...

(Perfect timing too as it is about time for a hard reset anyway.)

squeeze
11-22-2002, 12:12 AM
Just loaded EUU3 on both of my 3955s (one is my wife's). Both devices loaded okay. No issues - at this time...doing some testing on both, but initially, everything looks good...new Media Player is nice too!

Johan
11-22-2002, 12:25 AM
• New Microsoft Windows Media Player.
• New "Bliss" Today Theme.

The "Bliss" Today theme was not installed on my 3630, could it be due to the "Batterypack" software I have installed?

Can Media Player 8.5 be downloaded somewhere?

/Johan

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 12:34 AM
My 3975 also has ROM v2.00... juat that, nothing other than lonely zeroes after the decimal.
Bah! So is mine. :oops: I was thinking of the 3800 series. All 3900's must be 1.00 or 2.00 since EUU3 is the first ROM anything HP has released for them.

Dave Conger
11-22-2002, 12:49 AM
• New Microsoft Windows Media Player.
• New "Bliss" Today Theme.

The "Bliss" Today theme was not installed on my 3630, could it be due to the "Batterypack" software I have installed?

Can Media Player 8.5 be downloaded somewhere?

/Johan

Nope, use 3600 users are just out of luck at the moment.

vincentsiaw
11-22-2002, 12:59 AM
yap at last after long time of waiting hp release the update thanks god!

smittyofdhs
11-22-2002, 01:10 AM
My 3970 came stock from HP with rom version 2.00. I found that odd but that is the case.

-Drew

just in case you didn't know....

The EUU updates are different then the ROM BIOS updates. The ROM version you referred to is the latest ROM but you still have to install the EUU3 to get the latest updates.

If you did know this, then never mind.... :)

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 01:25 AM
Well, video is much better on the 3900 X-Scale. Just watched the ST Nemesis trailer and the BMW film "Star" from last year. Not perfect, but waaaaay better than WMP 8.0 did.

that_kid
11-22-2002, 01:33 AM
I'm glad to hear that the media player works better, this was one of the things I was looking forward to. Now if I can only save up enough for the 5450......

mscdex
11-22-2002, 02:09 AM
i really wish i could install this on my 3635, but my circuitboard in my ipaq went bad or something. seems like after i uninstalled linux on my ipaq, my circuitboard (supposedly) went bad. so when i try installing something that changes something "mechanical" like hardware settings (nyditot/js landscape/euu's) it performs a hard reset when it resets after the program/euu installs. oh well. :cry:

ledowning
11-22-2002, 02:18 AM
Thank you Ed, I checked both the Canadian and US HP sites and nothing so far for the Jornada 568. Guess I'll wait a couple of days and see if it turns up. I can't imagine that HP would forget about the Jornadas so soon!!

8)

[/quote]

fulltilt
11-22-2002, 02:18 AM
:?: I find it strange that I can't locate this software without using the supplied link. If this has been released then wouldn't it be availble via www.compaq.com/handhelds and navigating to software/drivers on the support page.. :?:

jffcurt
11-22-2002, 02:34 AM
I find it strange that I can't fine the update period. When I click on the link Ed supplied and enter my info the only thing close to EUU3 is the last RUU 1.20. That is under Rompaqs, Bios etc. Am I missing something?
HELP! :(

cmorris
11-22-2002, 02:49 AM
Just installed on my 3835 and everything seems to be good. WMP is much snappier now. :D

that_kid
11-22-2002, 02:57 AM
Got it installed on my 3970 and now I can finally stream the screen savers from my multimedia server :D :D, I also watched some bmw films and they look great. I may even re-encode one from QT so that it fills the whole screen

jffcurt
11-22-2002, 03:01 AM
DUUUH! I found it! :oops:

Fish
11-22-2002, 03:10 AM
I ran the update, which reset the device and began the process. I immediately got a message "Cannot load replog.exe". The device sat there with the spinning sundial for about 20 more minutes. I undocked it and poked the reset button. As expected, the ROM is toast. A full reset doesn't help. Booting up results in about 10 error messages, can't load this, can't find that.

Compaq/HP is sending a box to the house. My 3-day-old iPAQ will be on it's way for service. I'm not a happy boy.

CESkins
11-22-2002, 03:21 AM
Fish sorry to hear that the update turned your PDA into an $$$ paperweight. :( Hopefully, your new box will be at your door soon. Anyone else ran into a nightmare like this?

jffcurt where did you find an EUU3 update for the HP Jornada 56x series?

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 04:36 AM
:?: I find it strange that I can't locate this software without using the supplied link. If this has been released then wouldn't it be availble via www.compaq.com/handhelds and navigating to software/drivers on the support page.. :?:
Yeah, same here. I had been keeping an eye on http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldipaq/us/locate/71_4704.html which is what your link will eventually get to.

Seems the integration with HP and Compaq's web sites are not complete.

hjalmer
11-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Did you check the Jornada site at www.hp.com ?

I've been checking the HP site every day since I heard about the first EUU3 release by Toshiba, I think. Nothing there just now and I've heard no rumors.

RickP in AZ
11-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Hmm, 4 minutes to copy to device, 10.5 minutes to run the update and Bam! I'm in the pile of successful updates. (Makes up for the PPC 2002 Upgrade which toasted my 3630, leading me to beg around for a ROM image so that I could chat with the Macaw.)

What do you know, hp/Compaq actually got one right this time.

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 05:16 AM
Hmm, 4 minutes to copy to device, 10.5 minutes to run the update and Bam! I'm in the pile of successful updates. (Makes up for the PPC 2002 Upgrade which toasted my 3630, leading me to beg around for a ROM image so that I could chat with the Macaw.)

What do you know, hp/Compaq actually got one right this time.
I was actually hoping yours' would fail. It would make great reading for the rest of us on ppcaddict.com. :wink: :lol:

disconnected
11-22-2002, 05:36 AM
Do you have to re-install apps after doing the update?

RickP in AZ
11-22-2002, 05:40 AM
So Ed, you wish ill upon your bother's iPAQ just for an "interesting read?" You are one sick, cruel, evil man... (Ah but what you didn't catch is that I now have a 3975, *not* the former 3630! Mistress has been reincarnated as "Mistress2." Hey, at least she has a name and she's sexier than ever...)

I think I speak for that collected PPC brethren is saying that EdH needs to do some penance... In the form of tossing a Dell Axim 400Mhz/64MB into the old FedEx dropbox headed to me... :wink:

RickP in AZ
11-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Do you have to re-install apps after doing the update?

Nope, all data and applications preserved for me. Actually I was expecting a hard reset. I was *going* to do a hard reset anyway as I was in need of one, but I just got too lazy and too excited. Always a risky combination.

Like there was this time when I tried to install Doom 2 while intoxicated in the middle of a party... Long story short I ended up needing to rebuild a Mac while hungover... It was a great B-Day party though. Oh to be young again...

disconnected
11-22-2002, 06:02 AM
Thanks RickP.

I guess I'll try to be brave enough to do the update this weekend. If I fail totally, I do have the TAP from CompUSA.

christak
11-22-2002, 06:10 AM
Well, mine failed -- at least it wouldn't update my 3950... I got a couple of "errors" (see below) but the update looked like it was working. Then when it completed, there didn't appear to be anything new on my iPAQ. I downloaded another copy and tried again -- got the same "errors" and the update appeared to abort. No damage to my iPAQ -- it's working fine -- just no new update... Very disappointing! :cry:

"The ROM Update file \temp\rom_update\coreapps.xip is invalid. It will be deleted. Other updates will continue."

"The ROM Update file \temp\rom_update\24mconsumer.xip is invalid. It will be deleted. Other updates will continue."

Jason Dunn
11-22-2002, 06:12 AM
christak - I had a similar problem, so I opted to do a hard reset then do the update...went off without a hitch.

christak
11-22-2002, 06:16 AM
Am I correct in assuming that you had to do a "manual rebuild" of your iPAQ?? (ie. Backup/Restore won't work??)

blang
11-22-2002, 06:18 AM
I got the error messages also. but I let the ipaq sit and run through the update. I was very nervous. But it appears that everything went OK. I have the new today skin and media player has been updated. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Jason Dunn
11-22-2002, 06:19 AM
Am I correct in assuming that you had to do a "manual rebuild" of your iPAQ?? (ie. Backup/Restore won't work??)

Correct.

christak
11-22-2002, 06:27 AM
Thanks Jason,
I may go that route after one more valiant attempt -- I suspect there is some software conflict -- since I have quite a few app's on my iPAQ...

BTW, I don't post here that often -- mainly stick to Brighthand, but I check out your site several times every day -- Keep up the great work!! Your site is one of my PPC favorites...

Qman
11-22-2002, 08:28 AM
christak - I had a similar problem, so I opted to do a hard reset then do the update...went off without a hitch.

Same here, I kept getting "Invalid ROM files(s)" and the upgrade would abort. But it installed just fine after the hard reset. 8)

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 09:36 AM
I downloaded it, but will wait to install it until I hear from a few more 3870 users. I don't feel like playing guinea pig tonight. :-)

Steve

szamot
11-22-2002, 09:51 AM
My update on the 3850 went smooth, except I still end up with WMP 8.0 build 0103 and I thought I was getting the 8.5 with a funky arse skin. Anyone, anyone, Buler....

hshortt
11-22-2002, 11:02 AM
What??? No bluetooth manager update???? Damn it!!! I was hoping for an update similiar to the 5450 bluetooth manager.

Why not?? I'd love to have the LAN access profile for Bluetooth and can't do it on the current manager in the 3970.

:(

JGUI
11-22-2002, 01:16 PM
I made a newest RUU2.20 on 3660.
Then I tried to update EUU3, something was done, but I have no MediaPlaye8.5 no new default theme.

any possibility to install MP8.5 ?

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Like there was this time when I tried to install Doom 2 while intoxicated in the middle of a party... Long story short I ended up needing to rebuild a Mac while hungover... It was a great B-Day party though. Oh to be young again...
Remindes me about a story of Ferdinand Porsche giving a lecture to engineers on one of his engines. One of them asked if the case halves should be put together dry. Dr. Porsche said something to the effect of "No, I always recommend you have one or two beers first."

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 02:26 PM

Same here, I kept getting "Invalid ROM files(s)" and the upgrade would abort. But it installed just fine after the hard reset. 8)
I wonder if those with the problems have a lot of data in the file store? I have some, but probably less than 1MB. I know EUU application on an HP Jornada will fail if the file store isn't empty.

christak
11-22-2002, 02:48 PM
My File Store is not empty -- I only have about 2.5MB free there. I'll try emptying the File Store before my next try at updating. I'm putting off the hard reset option until this weekend...

aussie
11-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Ditto, as some of the rest of you - update went fine except that I have no wmp8.5 and no new today skin

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

disconnected
11-22-2002, 04:47 PM
I'm getting cold feet.

Do there seem to be any indicators of probable success or failure? Like particular iPAQ models, number or type of apps installed, stuff in file-store, etc?

I'm looking for a warm fuzzy feeling before I begin. :roll:

dbrahms
11-22-2002, 05:38 PM
the main reason i did the update to my 3975 was for media player. I encoded "the perfect storm" to wmv and it skipped and froze a bunch with windows media player vers 8. I did the update and i dont see any skips anymore....it looks and behaves perfectly. I may give up pocket-divx now. :D

szamot
11-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Ditto, as some of the rest of you - update went fine except that I have no wmp8.5 and no new today skin

I am on the same boat no WMP 8.5 and no Bliss, you can grab some bliss from the web but WMP 8.5 WTF. Perhaps it is not for the old fogies like 38xx, which model do you have, again anyone, anyone.....is Buler absent again - or is it just me?

dannyoneill
11-22-2002, 06:47 PM
I have battery pack installed and Bliss is there fine.

all 397x come with ROM 2. 395x come with rom 1, the euu update updates the windows but dosnt affect the ROM no/

christak
11-22-2002, 08:30 PM
I wonder if those with the problems have a lot of data in the file store? I have some, but probably less than 1MB. I know EUU application on an HP Jornada will fail if the file store isn't empty.

Ed,
You are "the man"!! I emptied my iPAQ File Store and the update worked fine -- no glitches at all!!

GREAT Suggestion!!

Thank you!!

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 09:11 PM

I am on the same boat no WMP 8.5 and no Bliss, you can grab some bliss from the web but WMP 8.5 WTF. Perhaps it is not for the old fogies like 38xx, which model do you have, again anyone, anyone.....is Buler absent again - or is it just me?

You have a 3800 and it failed to update WMP8.5? Call Compaq. That isn't right. The only ones that won't get WMP8.5 and Bliss are 3600 users with their 16MB ROMs. All 3700-3900 users should get the full meal deal.

mscdex
11-22-2002, 09:28 PM
HP better not leave us 36xx users out with the whole WMP 8.5 deal. :(

Wiggin
11-22-2002, 09:41 PM
I'm on a 3850, updated last night, and have the new Bliss Theme and WMP 8.5. No ideas on why your 38xx was passed over. You might try it again with a fresh SP.exe.

szamot
11-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Ed - thank you at least now I know I was not loosing my marbles.

Wiggin - thanks for words of encouragement I spent better part of last night doing this. I guess the real negative benefit of installing everything through CAB files only is that you have to do it one at the time. Damn Me for this.

I also noticed that my iPAQ is doing funky arse ****e. Turning on and off at random, dropping Active Sync in the middle of synching, missing alarms and generally being a pain in the back side. I hate updates!
[/quote]

Jeff Rutledge
11-22-2002, 11:31 PM
What??? No bluetooth manager update???? Damn it!!! I was hoping for an update similiar to the 5450 bluetooth manager.

Same here. My BT connection is still a little flaky and I was hoping to see an update for it as well.

Oh well...as long as the 5600 I'm planning to get is perfect I'll be OK. 8)

szamot
11-22-2002, 11:46 PM
Yep my iPAQ is a casualty of update gone wrong Comapq will now attempt to fix it. I am already going through separation anxiety 3 - 5 days what am I going to do - use a Palm oh no was that outloud.

Pony99CA
11-23-2002, 04:58 PM
I just finished updating my 3870, and everything seemed to go OK. I have the new Media Player and the new Bliss theme (which doesn't matter, as I use Dashboard, but the menu bar area was green until I switched back to the default theme).

Based on comments here, I moved all of the files in my iPAQ File Store to an SD card and deleted the directories. After the update, I copied everything back. Oddly, I thought I lost one of my Microsoft Reader files (the Constitution eBook I created) during this move, but I can't swear to it; I just had to copy it back to my iPAQ from my laptop.

I do wish you didn't have to turn off your password and owner information to do these EUU updates, though.

Steve

Ed Hansberry
11-23-2002, 05:08 PM
I do wish you didn't have to turn off your password and owner information to do these EUU updates, though.
I think the update should accomidate this.

I did an XIP update to my 3600 when the PPC 2002 was still in beta. NO readme of course and there was no warning abut the password. The iPAQ booted and hung at the white screen. No one at MS had done that. 8O We just waited about 15 minutes, hoped it had finished then pressed the soft reset button. All was OK, but man I was sweatting. I wasn't worried about getting the thing fixed - I was at MS's campus, but I didn't have my laptop, so a restore or basic sync would have been impossible had a hard reset been necessary - and that was day 1 of a 3 day trip. Whew.

ctmagnus
11-24-2002, 08:28 AM
This has me somewhat PO'd. I d/l EUU3, make room for it on my iPaq + install it but no new default Today theme. How hard is it for the developers to have the installer overwrite one file wih another one?

This was the main reason I upgraded , too! :wink:

Ed Hansberry
11-24-2002, 03:16 PM
This has me somewhat PO'd. I d/l EUU3, make room for it on my iPaq + install it but no new default Today theme. How hard is it for the developers to have the installer overwrite one file wih another one?

This was the main reason I upgraded , too! :wink:
Something went wrong or you have a 3600 series iPAQ, and the WMP/Theme is not in stalled.

There is no "overwriting" the default. The defalut Mobile blue theme is still there. The EUU puts a new BLISS in the lineup. See the README that came with it. It explains in great detail what won't get installed if you have a 3600.

If you have a 3700-3900, something went wrong as the new BLISS and WMP8.5 should be there.

RickP in AZ
11-24-2002, 03:42 PM
To expand on what EdH said, in the Read Me is states that if "&lt;Default>" is the selected theme at the time of install then it will be overwritten by "Bliss" as the new &lt;Default>. If another theme is selected then Bliss is merely added to the themes list as a separate theme.

OF course I found this out *after* I ran the install.

mscdex
11-24-2002, 04:25 PM
so i take it microsoft or compaq will never release a wmp 8.5 download for us 36xx users? :cry: It makes me want to switch to the Dell Axim, but then again there are a lot of software out there that work only on ipaq pocketpcs (beta, or final product), which is something i'll be missing out on if i switch to a dell. but then again i don't exactly have the money for a top of the line, newer ipaq, even a 3800. i think microsoft/compaq made a big mistake in not allowing 36xx users to download the wmp and the other stuff that is left out.

dbrahms
11-24-2002, 07:56 PM
I STAND CORRECTED. THE NEW MEDIA PLAYER STILL SUX. POCKET DIVX WILL REMAIN MY VIDEO PLAYER FOR A WHILE. BESIDES, A 100KBPS DIVX FILE LOOKS BETTER THAN A 150KBPS WMV FILE

Bob Anderson
11-25-2002, 07:10 AM
i think microsoft/compaq made a big mistake in not allowing 36xx users to download the wmp and the other stuff that is left out.

I'm not too sure that MSFT/HP combo have said that we won't be able to dowload the newest version of Media Player. To give them credit, when the PPC 2002 upgrade came out... they did make Messenger and Terminal Services software available a few months later.

Until we hear "offical" word that a download isn't forthcoming... let's not beat up HP too much.

Plus, I can't help but thinking that WMP 8.5 is just a "temporary" solution until 9 hits... which can't be that far off :wink:

mscdex
11-25-2002, 12:51 PM
i think microsoft/compaq made a big mistake in not allowing 36xx users to download the wmp and the other stuff that is left out.

I'm not too sure that MSFT/HP combo have said that we won't be able to dowload the newest version of Media Player. To give them credit, when the PPC 2002 upgrade came out... they did make Messenger and Terminal Services software available a few months later.

Until we hear "offical" word that a download isn't forthcoming... let's not beat up HP too much.

Plus, I can't help but thinking that WMP 8.5 is just a "temporary" solution until 9 hits... which can't be that far off :wink:

Well, seeing how the ipaq 36xx only has a 16mb rom, Microsoft/HP are most likely going to eventually forget 36xx users because of the small rom and the "limitations" of the series. I just have that bad feeling they won't release it for the 36xx series that's all. :(

kfluet
11-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Just did the EUU3 update on my 3970, and everything seems to be happy (no install error messages, now have new WMP, tab works in IE, etc.) but now my Bluetooth Manager is flaky. I generally have to soft reset in order to turn the radio on or off.

Anybody with Bluetooth (3970, 3870, sleeve) have a similar problem with EUU3?

Ed Hansberry
11-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Just did the EUU3 update on my 3970, and everything seems to be happy (no install error messages, now have new WMP, tab works in IE, etc.) but now my Bluetooth Manager is flaky. I generally have to soft reset in order to turn the radio on or off.

Anybody with Bluetooth (3970, 3870, sleeve) have a similar problem with EUU3?

Yeah, but since I got the thing, long before EUU3 came out. :cry: 1 in 5 times it may turn on without the "soft reset" warning.